New vanes??

Have shot flex fletch for years. Then shot Blazers this year. I think the Blazers are loud. So looking for a new vane. Either going to flex fletch or vanetec. Thinking about small low profile vanes...possible 4 fletch.

Trial153

WKR
On Backcountry's recommendation I tried TT Stealth Hunter vanes, they are the same material at the AAE Maxhunters. They are slight lower profile and three inches, I fletched them with a modified helical bitz clamp at an offset on BEA Rampage. So far I like them. They are quieter then Blazers for sure. I been group shooting a large profile fixed blade head and they are doing well at longer distances.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
I like the AAE ProMax and Vanetec Swift Series in 4 fletch. Both have worked well for me with minimal noise in flight. I have shot both in 3 fletch as well for target and mechanical heads too.

I would say Trophy Taker Stealth Hunter (AAE Max Stealth). Dan Evans asked AAE to make these as a combination of two of their other vanes. I think you can get them from AAE as well just not with "Trophy Taker" on them. Haven't tried the Max Hunter but every time I hear someone shoot one it sounds like a fighter jet in flight. Based on the Max Hunter I haven't tried the Pro Max yet. I tested a bunch of vanes with me and a friend alternating standing down range behind something solid last year. We both settled on the Max Stealth as an extremely quiet vane that still gives great control. The only vanes I thought were on the same level for quiet with the Max Stealth were Pine Ridge Nitro Low Profile, Easton 230 and VaneTec 1.75 SS or 2 SS (both vanetec were a 4 fletch). Blazer X2 in a 4 fletch is a great flying combo but they are no quieter than normal blazers, you do however get the X2 material which does not take a permanent set if rested against something and they are smaller. The best you can do with flexfletch is the 3" low profile which is somewhere between blazers and the 4 I listed above. The flex fletch parabolic 3" is slightly quieter than the FLP. They do not make small low profile vanes like vanetec. I really really like the pine ridge too but wasn't sure if I could get the control I needed with a 3 fletch and 4 fletch made them heavier than the Stealth Hunters.

Last edited:

brewer427

WKR
X2 on the AAE Max Stealth's, I started running them last year after seeing them at Trophy Taker and have been very pleased. A lot quieter then Blazers that I shot for years and I get better grouping then the Blazers with different broadheads. I've shot the Exodus, Grim Reapers, Slick Trick and ulmers, all flew very well. Going to try some solids and a-tacs this spring, so will see how they do with those heads but I'm sure they'll do good.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Have shot flex fletch for years. Then shot Blazers this year. I think the Blazers are loud. So looking for a new vane. Either going to flex fletch or vanetec.

I've tried a lot of different vanes, and the only ones that I can actually hear myself when the arrow has left the bow are the FF Silent Knight vanes. All the others have been silent to me. However, I have heard from others that my QS's are loud down range. But I haven't had a single animal react to them even beyond 50 yards, so I have no idea.

I've never tried four-fletch, but if I did they would be the lower profile vanes you're looking for.

xcutter

WKR
How do the AAE Max Hunter and Max Stealth compare in durability to the Blazer vanes? I've shot several whitetail with arrows having Blazers on them and just washed the arrow and put it back in my quiver without any damage to the vanes.

I'm interested in trying the AAE Max Hunter but I don't want to have to refletch every time an arrow passes through an animal or target.

I would say the max stealth are more durable than Blazers. They do not have memory so will not stay bent if accidentally left resting against something. They stick great and I've shot a lot of holes in vanes and they continue to keep performing with holes.

elkyinzer

WKR
I'm gonna test out the vanetec swifts and the trophy taker max stealth

Just curious, are you testing with quantitative data or going off what seems quietest? This is interesting, I've thought a lot about making my bow quieter but never really thought about the vanes. I have noticed a whistling noise from my vented broadheads but I have never observed it being an issue shooting at deer.

OP
justin davis
Just curious, are you testing with quantitative data or going off what seems quietest? This is interesting, I've thought a lot about making my bow quieter but never really thought about the vanes. I have noticed a whistling noise from my vented broadheads but I have never observed it being an issue shooting at deer.

I'm gonna test against the human ear as well as a sound app that I got on my phone. It wasn't until recently that I stood down range of a guy shooting Blazers with field tips. I was 100 yards from him. I could hear his bow go off pretty quiet but then could hear a super loud rocket sounding hiss all the way to the target. I thought man Blazers are sure loud. If I can hear that then an animal can hear it even more!!

I went on a coues deer hunt recently. I was shooting Blazers at the time. I had two great stalks on great bucks that I got shots at. Both deer dodged my arrow. Now people are gonna tell me, no way was it the arrows. It's the nature of the deer, or your bow....but The way it happened I'm pretty convinced that they heard my loud arrows. I think for most animals the Blazers are fine and Blazers have killed lots of animals. But for coues deer I think you need all the edge you can get.

So I'm switching to a quieter vane. For years I've shot flex fletch and they are considerably quieter than Blazers at least to my own ears.