Matrix Target Review, by Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Got one on order.

Tony,
Do you keep it outside all the time? Wondering how it will hold up to the UV at 8000ft?

Yes, it lives outside now. I do not live at high elevation though, only slightly over 1000'. The target shows no signs of change from the weather so far.

MT Kevin

FNG
Hey Dave, Your target ships tomorrow so let us know how it performs with your set up! I would have responded earlier on your uv question but just saw it. You'll find our material is very weather resistant. It will fade a little over time like a Rinehart if left out in the sun but will not lose it's ability to stop your arrows. Happy Memorial Day! Kevin

Davebuech

WKR
Hi Kevin,

Didn't know you were on Rokslide! Thanks for your note and that's great!!! It should be there when I get there then! Awesome.

Will do. Just got a new bow and looking forward to giving it the run through. My old target was not stopping my arrows anymore and I didnt want to burn up any more fletchings, so had to take a break. Hard to do when you got a new setup! Thanks for the comment on UV. I had Delta and McKenze 3D's in the past but they broke down over time. I'm sure the materials these days are much better but that UV is pretty intense.

Hey Dave, Your target ships tomorrow so let us know how it performs with your set up! I would have responded earlier on your uv question but just saw it. You'll find our material is very weather resistant. It will fade a little over time like a Rinehart if left out in the sun but will not lose it's ability to stop your arrows. Happy Memorial Day! Kevin

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider
MT Kevin is a hell of a nice guy and his customer service was awesome. Just got my target yesterday. This thing is a tank! threw it in the rig and went shooting. Released arrows well without a bunch of foam melted to the shafts(camo wrapped GT's really want to gum up on my other targets) and didn't budge when I shot at the edge dots.

Thanks again Kevin! Matt in Cda

Davebuech

WKR
Just got the target today! Thanks for the great product Kevin!

Arrows are much easier to pull than from my Reinhart and the penetration on the Matrix is a bit less too. Shooting a 350 gr. 27ish inch arrow, from a 2016 Bowtech BTX pulling 74#, setting #2. FPS ? (fast). (I clocked some 435 gr at 287 fps through this setup, so these are well above 300) Depth averaging about 7 1/2" in the Matrix and first impression is this target is build to last! It's BIG and kinda heavy, but the weight makes sure it stays put too! The large target face give me confidence to sight in the 60 yrd and beyonds. Man these pins are close together on this bow!

Waiting on new shafts (heavier...more space between pins!) and will give BH a try when I get it all together. All in all VERY impressed! Time will tell durability but I am pretty confident this will outlast any other target I have used before! Foam seals up very tight and have not noticed any difference in penetration no matter where you hit the target.

Good write up Tony, thanks for the review.

Tried to post pics but.... no go

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
You are welcome Dave!
I like the heft of the Matrix too. It's not like I am taking it up in my backpack with me. That thing stays where you place it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When you pull BH-tipped arrows out of these modules, does it bring foot long slivers of the module out with it leaving gaping holes in the target like the Rineharts and the Blob? It doesn't take but a few arrows in the same spot for that to start happening. That's why I haven't found a decent BH target......they all come apart, and fairly quickly.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
When you pull BH-tipped arrows out of these modules, does it bring foot long slivers of the module out with it leaving gaping holes in the target like the Rineharts and the Blob? It doesn't take but a few arrows in the same spot for that to start happening. That's why I haven't found a decent BH target......they all come apart, and fairly quickly.

I covered it in the article. There was some very small slivers that were coming out after a few hundred BH shots. Since it's been outside I haven't noticed any on the ground in front of the target. Not saying there aren't any, they are just small enough that I am not noticing them. No long slivers or loose layers like other targets i have used in the past.
At this point for me, even if I shot out a hex (which I have not), I would consider it a win.

Davebuech

WKR
I covered it in the article. There was some very small slivers that were coming out after a few hundred BH shots. Since it's been outside I haven't noticed any on the ground in front of the target. Not saying there aren't any, they are just small enough that I am not noticing them. No long slivers or loose layers like other targets i have used in the past.
At this point for me, even if I shot out a hex (which I have not), I would consider it a win.

I have had a chance now to test some BH action on the Matrix. If you shoot enough into the same spot, it will cut slivers, but I have not had any pieces pull out of the target. Shoot a field point into the same spot and no apparent difference in penetration after slicing up the material a bit. When shooting vented BH into my Reinhart, I get some material that pulls out with the BH (sticks in the vented portion). With the Matrix, I do not get any material coming loose. A similar thing happens with my test blade mechanicals and little pieces of foam come out of the Reinhart, not so on the Matrix.

IMO this target is more durable than the Reinhart or any other target I have shot to date. As Tony says, IF you do shoot out a module, change it or buy a new one. Either way, IMO, it's well worth the investment. Well done and Kudo's to Kevin and the Matrix team.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Thanks for the article....Finally pulled the trigger and received my target last week. Here are my initial thoughts….

Athens Testament at 72lbs/28.5”, 25.5” 250 Black Eagle Renegades @431 grains. (56 grain inserts 100 grain fieldpoints)

Short Range:
Using practice technique from go Hunt contributor Brady Miller (Indoor practice: The surefire approach to better shooting | goHUNT) I have put several hundred arrows from 15’ into the target. Very impressed with the durability and the quality of foam. Intentionally hung my shooting line over the areas where I would be hitting in-between the hex’s as that was my first bet for vulnerability on the target in terms of wear. There is no noticeable difference and arrows are actually easier to pull from in-between the hex's. All arrows pull out with incredible ease, right around 8-10” penetration, and the foam self heals immediately. The target is rock solid and I shot several groups on the outer edges to see if it would start to move the target around and had little to no shift at all.

IMG_1829.jpg

Medium Range:
As the season draws closer, my practice tends to move out into the field so I can shoot different scenarios. While I kept the distances short (@40yrds) and shot angles manageable on my first go with the target in the field, it performed perfect. My expectation is that it will be a great option to move out to longer ranges for more/better practice situations without giving me consternation on lost/broken arrows from errant shots. The heftiness of the target made for some difficulty in carrying up and down the mountain side to different positions was a bit of a workout, but great way to get a little warmed up before you shoot.

IMG_1841.jpg

While I can’t offer insight into broadhead testing, based on my overall experience thus far, I have full confidence that it will perform exactly as outline in article.

Lastly, the customer service from owner/founder Kevin was incredible…Extremely helpful in all aspects of the transaction.

Gumbo

WKR
I bought one of these recently and am also very impressed with the customer service. The owner (Kevin I think?) took time to email me and confirm my order and to offer me free shipping on the 2 extra hexes I bought because they were running a special I wasn't aware of. He could've just pocketed the shipping but chose to give it back! I can't say anything about the durability yet, I've only shot about 10 arrows in it at 15 feet in my basement, but the thing seems WAY more substantial than the Block that is currently crumbling to pieces all over my basement floor. Once the Block dies I will make the switch to the Matrix.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I like how those arrows pulled. Good vid Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk