Minute of Arrow

My definition is group size for 1" per 10 yards. So an MOA at 20 yards is 2", 30 yards is 3" etc. I'm happy with 1/2 MOA or 3" at 60 and etc. I can do it if I don't rack a risciprine. If I lose focus I get about 2-3 MOA. What's your MOA?

Sent from my PRC-77 using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
Never thought of it this way but sounds like a good route to consider so I'll play. My MOA is different at different yardages, at 20 its .5, at 40 its .5, at 50 and 60 it is .75 and 1.0 respectively, well over 3 at longer distances (75 +). Same here on the focus part though.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Gelton, your shooting is good. I wonder if your equipment is lacking. You should be the same regardless of distance. Maybe it is the target. Being able to see the target could be it too. My buddy told me to aim at a target that is MOA. IE: a 40 yard target is 4" diameter and etc.

gelton

WKR
yeah never had eye problems but starting to wonder (haven't been to an eye doctor in 20 years)...the equipment is good, like they say its the Indian not the bow :)

I have a lot of work to do it sounds like! At 20 and 30 I can keep arrows within 1-2" groups. But at 60 there's no way I am doing consistent 6" groups.

I'm within MOA to 70

50 yards
fe180b25f20f1fcdbe76e99ac56c62cd.jpg

70 yards
c737037a867795a441eb4488731db4d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I shoot at quarter sized dots at all ranges. Anything in or touching the dots are acceptable. However, I only shoot to 60 yards.

Had to go out and shoot some groups at 60 before the sun went down...This is my best for the day. Probably right around that MOA mark for 60 yards.

17June.jpg

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
I'm a 1.5-2 MOA shooter at pretty much all distances. I always shoot 6 + arrow as a group and rarely are they all within the MOA, with the group centered around the bullseye. I can shoot MOA groups but don't do it every time.

Realistically, even at 20 yards, shooting MOA groups is nearly the equivalent of a 300 60x on a 5 spot round. Most guys can't even do that with target equipment.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have higher expectations at further distances than I do closer. At 20-30 if they're within 3" I'm OK with that. But at 40+ I hope for and expect 1/2 MOA. I've shot plenty of groups at 60 with the arrows touching, but it seems my vision just isn't what it used to be. These days seems more like 1 MOA at 40+ is as good as I can expect. Maybe it's the newer bow?????? I don't know. But I love the sound of arrows slapping together from long range.

If Im not breaking nocks and piercing vanes Im not happy with my shooting under 30 yards

Really though on the serious side now, honestly after I have been shooting rather frequently and "in the zone", I dont usually shoot groups at sub 30 cuz I've killed too many arrows Maybe 2 shots per spot on my bale targets. At 30-45 I'm more often than not all 5 or 6 in a 3 to 4" group at up to about 50 then at 60+ its 5-6"

Never really thought of archery in a MOA realm because there are so many variables in the shooter from day to day.

Realistically, even at 20 yards, shooting MOA groups is nearly the equivalent of a 300 60x on a 5 spot round. Most guys can't even do that with target equipment.

They can online... I see tons of guys shooting "consistent groups" that would be world class scores at target and field. If you can shoot EVERY arrow into an archers MOA (1 in per yard) every time you shoot, you would win nationals field archery nearly every year. Shoot out to 80 yards and I believe the 10 is about 6.5 inches in diameter.

Remember, 1 good group does not represent your ability. Keep shooting, but do not limit yourself or worry about your skills based on anyone else's algorithm.

Joe

They can online... I see tons of guys shooting "consistent groups" that would be world class scores at target and field. If you can shoot EVERY arrow into an archers MOA (1 in per yard) every time you shoot, you would win nationals field archery nearly every year. Shoot out to 80 yards and I believe the 10 is about 6.5 inches in diameter.

Remember, 1 good group does not represent your ability. Keep shooting, but do not limit yourself or worry about your skills based on anyone else's algorithm.

Joe

HA HA ya, reminds me of that one country song that I think brad paisley sings about "being online", cant remember it right now though.
If everyone shot as good as they say they did on line, REO, Morgan and Broadwater would have won alot less tourneys.

A while back I shot what I considered great 5 shot group at 60 (sub 4") pulled my arrows, then went back to 80, and the first shot was so bad I just stood there dumbfounded. I had completely missed my 4x4 bale target and sent my arrow 2' high and left, fletch deep into the plywood backstop I have. I just hung up the bow for the day after that. Still cannot think of HOW the heck I missed that shot so bad. It felt perfect too. It was just one of those days where your feeling good, but really ya suck something aweful. LOL

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Up until this year I considered archery "easy". Aim at a spot, release, and arrow hits spot. This year it's more like golf.......just have no idea where the next arrow will go. I can't seem to hold on target at all, whereas in the past the pins just sat there at full draw. Have no idea what's going on, but as a perfectionist for the first time since I picked up a bow it's not so much fun anymore. I might just go back to my old bow and start over and see if things improve. Last year in elk camp I was shooting fixed heads at 90 yards at my Rhinoblock, and I had no doubts that they were going to hit the insert every time. Right now I'm not sure I could claim that at 40.

5miles: Hey man dont worry, there's still plenty of time to get back in "the zone". I know the feeling too.
Some days I feel like I could out shoot REO, other days I feel as if I couldn't shoot my way out of a wet paper bag. LOL

Then there's me yesterday. Heck I drilled a dang hole in my index / trigger finger last night when putting a screw in a board with the drill/driver. Left a pretty good blood trail too. My 12 yr old daughter "blood trialed me into the house" after she heard my yepling. Wife just shook her head and brought me the Hydrogen Peroxide. Asked how bad it was,, I said " I dont know yet, Im still trying to stop the bleeding. She was not amused as the kid came through the back door on the trail and said,,, OH, its you dad, I thought the cat killed something again and drug it into the house" She patted me on the shoulder and said, "Hey dad, at least it aint lung blood, but you did leave a pretty good trail."

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Wife just shook her head and brought me the Hydrogen Peroxide.

Hydrogen Peroxide is bad for open wounds.;)

The last 10 years have been really easy for me for archery. From the day I picked up my first bow, I was shooting at 60 comfortably and confidently within a week. Distance didn't change that much at all, as long as I had a pin for it I could hit what I was aiming at. Even stacking pins out to 130 worked very well once I figured out where to stack to.

But this year is different. Can't hold the bow steady at all. Maybe my nocking point has slipped.......I don't know. All I know is I have always been able to call my shots, and now I call 2" high and it's 6" low and left. Nowhere near where it should have been. Might just be the new bow as I shot my Old Glory for 8 years before this. Don't know. I'll be ready for archery season either way, but it's not fun shooting when you have no idea where the shots are going.

My 3D average has dropped 25-30 points for a round, and I even had one round that was my worst ever.......with shots only to ~40 yards.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Maybe my OP was arrogant sounding. I love 1/2 MOA but average is about 1, especially outdoors. My 300 X-count is about 45 starting leagues and around 56 at the end of leagues. I've never gotten 60. Those are with my hunting bow setup. I'm also due for an eye appointment. Right now I'm running an MBG sight but SH pins yield better groups for me.

WKR
I try to judge myself based upon my worst arrow, rather than my best. The "cold bore" arrow is the one that really keeps me awake at nights.

elkyinzer

WKR
I try to judge myself based upon my worst arrow, rather than my best. The "cold bore" arrow is the one that really keeps me awake at nights.

Great point, comparing target archery to hunting is like comparing the home run derby to game 7 of the World Series.

Similarly, don't forget to get that heart rate doubled to simulate real hunting conditions. I can sit on my porch and shoot pie plate groups at 70 yards all day (that's my absolute, bear minimum threshold but usually tighter). Do 20 burpees or a couple wind sprints, get that heart rate up into the mid 100's, and the flyers tend to come out.