Maximum Effective Range, by Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed! Confession time for me...I took a longer than normal shot on a mule deer buck a while back. I hit the deer but not fatally. It was the first time I truly believed a deer had a "void" area. I was sure that deer was dead but many days of searching and I was able to turn up that buck pushing does a couple miles away. He acted like it didn't even bother him. Well it sure bothered me!

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Jared

Or as I nicknamed him about 15 years ago J-Rad, is just that. A radical bow hunter. He is always harvesting the most awesome animals you've ever seen. Hunts hard ! Great dad and hubby. Most polite and honest man you'll ever find.

Top shelf dude and I've been a fan of his for years, I think since he first got out of the service ?

Sent from my iPhone

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jared

Or as I nicknamed him about 15 years ago J-Rad, is just that. A radical bow hunter. He is always harvesting the most awesome animals you've ever seen. Hunts hard ! Great dad and hubby. Most polite and honest man you'll ever find.

Top shelf dude and I've been a fan of his for years, I think since he first got out of the service ?

Sent from my iPhone

Lol...thanks SunShine! I'm just a guy who loves what he does and loves his family even more!

I'm not out of the service yet! On year 16 and thinking I better stick with it!

Thank you for your compliments!

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Lol...thanks SunShine! I'm just a guy who loves what he does and loves his family even more!

I'm not out of the service yet! On year 16 and thinking I better stick with it!

Thank you for your compliments!

I wasn't sure if you were or not actually.

Just had dinner with Wil "Huck" Nelson in Denver Thursday. We are setting Wil up to come visit me in Florida for an Osceola. Such a great guy ! It's amazing how so many of the PSE forum guys have stayed in contact over all these years.

Vaughn
John Grizz
Richard Gramps
Diane Watson
Wil Huck Nelson
And so many others.

We all used to love all your monster bucks. You always got the right ones !

Btw you and Wil are the only 2 left I think I'd call PSE shooters ! Lol

You're an inspiration to our sport as are those others. Done so much to preserve archery hunting integrity. We do need you in Trumps military too ! Lol

Mike Rosa

Sent from my iPhone

Few quick questions pertaining to fine tuning my bow to help increase my MER. Form and amount of practice aside my MER is pretty good for the majority of hunting I do, however, I would like to get a little more consistent flight out of my arrows to push it another ten yards or so for the western SD hunting I have been doing. I am shooting a switchback XT and after getting a new string and cable placed I noticed the cam timing is maybe slightly under rotated (when I line the two holes up on the cam the line points slightly towards my string). I realize this isn't as important as it is to dual cam bows, but will this just affect the efficiency of the bow slightly (decrease FPS a little) or will it also affect the arrow flight too. The ATA length is slightly long also, 31 1/4 instead of 31; so I have the same questions with that. I would like to get this stuff set right before I do some walk back tuning and paper tuning.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Few quick questions pertaining to fine tuning my bow to help increase my MER. Form and amount of practice aside my MER is pretty good for the majority of hunting I do, however, I would like to get a little more consistent flight out of my arrows to push it another ten yards or so for the western SD hunting I have been doing. I am shooting a switchback XT and after getting a new string and cable placed I noticed the cam timing is maybe slightly under rotated (when I line the two holes up on the cam the line points slightly towards my string). I realize this isn't as important as it is to dual cam bows, but will this just affect the efficiency of the bow slightly (decrease FPS a little) or will it also affect the arrow flight too. The ATA length is slightly long also, 31 1/4 instead of 31; so I have the same questions with that. I would like to get this stuff set right before I do some walk back tuning and paper tuning.

You really should get your bow tuned so your axle to axle measurement is correct. This will ensure that it is shooting at its optimum potential and it should also shoot better as well. Might be all you need to lengthen your M.E.R. just a bit more.

Last edited:
Thanks Jared, I really appreciate the information and knowledge! I am sure the proshop just put the string on back to the specs it was when I brought it in to them. I am sure my bow hasn't been in perfect tune for quite some time. These conversations and articles have really taught me a lot in the past year.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent article. I believe I had the pleasure of shooting with you at terry peak, I was the kid running the kyptek obsession.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excellent article. I believe I had the pleasure of shooting with you at terry peak, I was the kid running the kyptek obsession.

My pleasure as well! Looked for ya after that round but didn't see ya again! Stay in touch!

Barty1970

FNG
Many thanks Jared; every time I pick my bow up, I'm learning [self-taught over the past fifteen years...you'd think I'd have learnt something by 45!!]

I strive for MOA shooting BHs at my MER...from 60 in to 20 yards...taking 'one shot' groups stone cold, and yes, there is the odd shot where my form collapses [mainly my grip which I am really working on at present] but I look to make the best shot I can...nearly shot a Robin Hood last Sunday, both my 20 and 60 yard shots clashing blades [my 40 yard-er was low but still MOA...I know I peeked and dropped the bow arm..my bad]

Again, thanks for the article and I look forward to reading more

Good luck and good hunting
Kenneth
ST BHs 20, 40 [lower] and 60 yards 24Jul2016.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jared is currently deployed overseas, so if he doesn't answer...
When I went to 3rd axis in 2014, I just made sure my draw/sight routine included a bubble check. Then I practiced on steep angles. I'm no bowmaster but it became 2nd nature after a few hundred shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any tips on sighting in 3rd axis? I seem to struggle keeping my form aiming down hill.

Thanks Robby and like Dave said, the Hamskea is a great way to go to ensure you get all axis' of your sight spot on. 1st, 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments can all be accomplished using that handy tool! It's worth it!

When you shoot at extreme angles it is natural for the human body to do what feels right but that necessarily isn't always what is best and most accurate. Get your third axis adjusted correctly and you will be glad you did! I always notice those that don't have a 3rd axis adjusted correctly or lack Theron when shooting at the Total Archery Challenge. There are many that don't know what the 3rd axis is even in reference to. Knowledge is power! And accuracy in this case!

Tilzbow

WKR
Any tips on sighting in 3rd axis? I seem to struggle keeping my form aiming down hill.

I hang a plumb bob off a string attached to a house eve or something else that's 12' or more tall. Come to full draw, aim up at a steep angle, level my bubble then check to see of the wire down the center of my Spot Hogg sight housing is aligned with the string. If not I adjust the 3rd axle until the wire and string are aligned and the bubble is centered. I then move close to the string, draw, aim down and repeat. Once down is set I recheck up, fine tune, aim down, fine tune until satisfied.

I prefer this method over a tool since it helps compensate for shooter induced torque. I the resight on flat ground as I've found the 3rd axis adjustment can impact windage.

Lastly, if you're third axis is off you'll shoot wide right or left uphill and the opposite direction downhill at longer yardage so my last step is to walk to hill by my house, set up a target and shoot up and downhill at 50 to 60 yards and verify my windage is on high up and downhill. The hill I shoot on gives me a 25 degree angle and you need something 15 or more IMO to really tell for certain.

Amen_R

FNG
attachment.php

Rokslide staff member, Jared Bloomgren, writes some very helpful archery articles. "Long-Range" anything is always a hot topic. Jared takes on the subject in his well-thought out article, Maximum Effective Range:

Maximum Effective Range
Good article.