CO Archery Update

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
Good Morning Everyone,

Just in case you're coming in from out of state. We've been having a wet summer and feed is good just about everywhere. That said, it has been unseasonably cold and the weather is pretty nasty in most of south-central CO. I spent a few hours glassing in rain/snow/hail yesterday and elk are moving away from their Summer haunts. Good luck out there!

P.S. Gotta love that feeling when you buy milk and realize that it expires after opening day!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I spent a few hours glassing in rain/snow/hail yesterday and elk are moving away from their Summer haunts.

Where are they moving to? Normally the elk I hunt during the season are in the same spots as they were all summer.

I sure hope these cold spells pass and warmth returns. I feel like we got gypped out of a summer this year. And now that the kids are back in school........so do they.

I'll second that northwestern Colorado we have had freezing mornings already and even had some 2 weeks ago. Nice crisp chilly mornings with a lot of afternoon storms. Lot of animals are moving lower already up here from the high country. Everyone be careful out there and make sure you do have proper clothing. Not promising it being cold cause my luck we have perfect hunting weather then turns 95 during archery, but it is chilly now with quite a bit of weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep we were out this last weekend planting Game cams and it was brisk and wet. I will be taking out the Kifaru Lost Park Parka and the gators for sure. Food is abundant and so is water for them. So its going to make it fun trying to pattern when they have so many options available. Good luck out there.

It's been plenty warm and dry in my neck of the woods for the whole summer. Cool weather in the mountains will be just fine with me.

jmez

WKR
I'd take some fall weather. We've had multiple days over 100 degrees starting in June and no rain all summer. It was 103 yesterday.

OP
J_hol

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
Where are they moving to? Normally the elk I hunt during the season are in the same spots as they were all summer.

A few of the herds that I watch spend almost the entire Summer (day and night) above timberline. During the rut, they slide down into timber/meadows. Some still seem to stay high, but many drop 1-3k ft. Depending on feed, many elk (that I'm familiar with) return to the alpine after the rut until opening day of first rifle.

jljmonky

FNG
Depart Sunday for 77, driving out from Illinois... Just worried about the rain... would rather have snow then rain. Plan is to get to 11K and stay high unless something drives us to go somewhere else... Keep the local updates coming, we really do appreciate them.

Calling for rain and 30s to low 50s in my unit this weekend, should make things interesting...id rather it be a little colder then hot, last year trying to chase elk in the 90s sucked!

Davebuech

WKR
Rain and colder than normal temps here in Southern CO today. Low of 40 last night at 8K ft with rain. Some light snow up high in the Sangre's last week and possibly again today. It's clouded in over there now.
Raining at 10K ft in the San Juan's behind the house, wouldn't be too surprised if some of the higher elevations further back are getting a light snow.

It's THAT TIME again!!!!! Perfect way to open the season!

Good luck everyone. Be safe.

DWinVA

WKR
Thanks for the update. I'll be flying into Durango to hunt Elk on 9-16-16....save some for me.

God Bless.

Last edited: