La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX Boot

ontarget7

WKR
Just got in a pair of these to test out. First thing I noticed, well, they just look awesome.
Next thing was how far up the Gore-Tex lining went up the boot at the tongue :thumbs_up. This is where most ankle high boots short themselves for waterproofing and are much lower than that. They are not heavy at all and have a very slim look to them. Looks like they did a great job at shedding excess bulk. The boots overall fit is extremely comfortable and looks like it would be killer for your fast pass, light weight backcountry spot and stalk hunts. Look forward to testing these out in the field.
Thanks guys !!

08f76aab73f1d5f31437b3232832c6c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Shank is very similar to my Lowa Tibets but the upper portion flexibility and comfort is much better right out of the gate.

I got a 10 day trip the end of the month so look forward to testing them out

Hope they are better than my hunting buddy's were! The sole came off his last year on our sheep hunt and he had to hold it on with shoe laces and duct tape for half of a 12 day hunt. The boots had a couple of months of use on them. I wasn't impressed.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
That's a first
Been through a lot of boots over the years and have never had a sole come off.
I'm extremely hard on my boots so we shall see.
So far, liking them quite a bit.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
You bet.
Still zero hot spots. Very little break in period. Heading out next week for the first real test run.

These boots look great. And I've tried them on and they fit great, but I've heard nothing but horror stories about their durability.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
These boots look great. And I've tried them on and they fit great, but I've heard nothing but horror stories about their durability.

Would like to hear more about all these horror stories and curious what actually happened ? Will see if I experience the same things you have been told.
I know a buddy of mine that recommended them. He hunted Wyoming this year for elk and had zero issues on his 10 day backcountry hunt.
I have only seen two people post negative things on durability and that was on REI's website. Any of the independent extensive reviews have been actually really good.

I put over 250 miles this year on the ground in the backcountry so I'm sure I will find out soon enough.

Would like to hear more about all these horror stories and curious what actually happened ? Will see if I experience the same things you have been told.
I know a buddy of mine that recommended them. He hunted Wyoming this year for elk and had zero issues on his 10 day backcountry hunt.
I have only seen two people post negative things on durability and that was on REI's website. Any of the independent extensive reviews have been actually really good.

I put over 250 miles this year on the ground in the backcountry so I'm sure I will find out soon enough.

A buddy broke a couple eyelets, as they are plastic, and they are sealed not stitched his actually came apart above the rand. He got a replacement pair that lasted well except the toe caps wore threw pretty wick. He is an ice guide in Alaska. Said they were crazy light and extremely comfortable. He also felt that if the toe caps didn't wear out that he was worried about the shells integrity as it was creasing pretty bad.

This was a few years ago so hopefully they have changed the rubber compound. I hope to hear good things as they are a really comfortable boot.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Hmmm !

I thought the Trango Cube GTX just came out in 2015 ?

2013 I guess, either way I hope yours fair better, as he wears gear out in a regular basis, I trust what he says but he puts gear in situations I never will.

Yours look a lot better then these also. I'd like to really try them for myself but 375 is a lot of coin to set down for a test.

fbef34d6b82d67812389437a2676a093.png

Last edited:
In the case of my hunting buddy.....the boots were leather, not the same as the ones shown in your test and the sole detached from the front to about the arch on the boot. Luckily I had a spare shoe lace we multi-wrapped around the sole and up over the arch/toe box for starters. We both had Gorilla tape and used it to help protect the shoe lace and keep some of the water out of the boot. Anyway, we were able to keep his toes covered and the sole sort of attached to the boot to get him thru the hunt. Man, what a bad gear failure to have on a long backpack archery stone sheep hunt!

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
2013 I guess, either way I hope yours fair better, as he wears gear out in a regular basis, I trust what he says but he puts gear in situations I never will.

Yours look a lot better then these also. I'd like to really try them for myself but 375 is a lot of coin to set down for a test.

fbef34d6b82d67812389437a2676a093.png

I found it. Looks like late 2014 but it appears they have had some changes since then.

At the rate I go through boots if they last me 2 years I would be pleased.

Thanks for the feedback with your buddies

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
#lasportivatrangocubegtx
I would say I am breaking in these boots but there literally is no break in period
They are that comfortable with excellent support and flexibility.

e6fede3742221651c5e0afb01a04a665.jpg

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Well the Seamless design and Gortex were put to the test today with a consistent down pour. Stayed absolutely dry during this pack out.

1292d6b9e71ce4858f683fe4a44ce2e7.jpg

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
I need to get myself a pair; and while I can't vouch for these boots in particular, I've climbed in La Sportiva's on 4 continents, including topping out on the South Col between Lhotse and Everest. Nice to be able to depend on your boots while you're on the Lhotse Face looking down on your last camp, a mile beneath your crampons........

Older thread here, but I am considering a pair of the cubes, bumping up to see if anyone had any more durability concerns??

My buddy has been training in them hard since late last season in the mountains and has had zero problems with his.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Still holding up awesome guys

Picked up these as well for trail running etc and they are performing excellent

Very lightweight for a mid crossover

418b896f08561f5fbf82a67e37a4e034.jpg