Arrows for elk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't look too hard because the black eagle rampage isn't made stiff enough for me.

Not stiff enough? What draw weight and draw length are you shooting? Even at 70lbs and 32 1/2" draw I can get 300's to tune with 75gr brass HIT's and even up to 210gr heads. I still shoot the Kinetic 200's with regular HIT's and 125's because even 532gr is plenty enough, but I certainly don't "need" .200 spine.

Felix40

WKR
82# 29" and a 170 broadhead. I'm sure I could get a 250 to tune but I feel like it would be borderline. Especially when there is a chance I will want to add some point weight at some time to see how my bow handles it.

I'm not saying I "need" 200 spine but that's what I wanted. Therefore I didn't shop around for anything but 200s. What I found though was gold tip kinetics for $25 less per dozen than black eagle. I only pointed out what I shoot to let the op know that I'm not recommending a cheaper arrow that is inferior in any way. Thats what I use and have been very happy with.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What I found though was gold tip kinetics for $25 less per dozen than black eagle.

Last year I found two dozen brand new in the box fletched Kinetic XT 200's on Ebay for $67.50/doz including shipping. A pain to strip all the fletching and do my own, but at that price well worth it.

Felix40

WKR
That's the kind of deals I like to find. Seems like at this point it's easier to find them on gold tips than black eagles. Maybe that will change as BEA gets more popular.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I have to laugh at people squabbling between a $10 and $15 arrow to kill an elk. I don't know what everyone else pays to go hunt elk but for me between the tag, license, travel, clothes, food, pack, tent, bow, etc.....$5 delta/arrow makes no meaningful difference to me. Get what works best for you. For me, sometimes it is an $8 arrow depending on my quarry and set up.

For elk, I like black eagle deep impacts with ss outsert, blazers, and a slick trick up front. Gives me about 520 grains at 280 ish fps out of my Obsession. Perfect for me.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wont fully disclose how much I have in my arrows. But it is somewhere around $35 each
:)

Its the cheapest part of my elk hunt
lol

ontarget7

WKR
One of my favorite combos to date is the Easton Hexx 330's with 75 gr brass H inserts and 100 gr tips. This puts me about 420 gr and have zero issues with penetration. A smaller diameter cut on contact like the Wasp, G5 Striker, Slick Tricks work great. A 2 blade like the Helix will give you added penetration as well.

I have had very good success on elk with arrows in the 380-450 grain range with zero issues. I enjoy practicing long range all year so I usually hover around that 400 gr mark so it gives me that added distances out past 100 yards.

Impulse is a great bow, enjoy !

Yooper

WKR
One of my favorite combos to date is the Easton Hexx 330's with 75 gr brass H inserts and 100 gr tips. This puts me about 420 gr and have zero issues with penetration.

Just curious what kind of weight you're pulling when using this setup? I've been using Axis arrows for the last few years, but I'd love a little lighter GPI shaft so I can build up the point weight. With a 29" arrow on average and shooting somewhere in the 66-68lb range I feel like the brass insert up front would make it too weak at 330 spine. Thanks!

ontarget7

WKR
Just curious what kind of weight you're pulling when using this setup? I've been using Axis arrows for the last few years, but I'd love a little lighter GPI shaft so I can build up the point weight. With a 29" arrow on average and shooting somewhere in the 66-68lb range I feel like the brass insert up front would make it too weak at 330 spine. Thanks!

So far the fastest bows I have tuned with zero issues are the Nitrum Turbo and the Bowtech BT-X 28. The BTX 28 is faster come no in at a 360 IBO.
Specs on both are 28/70 and arrows cut to 26.5" raw shaft.

I will be playing with some Carbon Express Maxima BLU RZ 350's early 2017 and putting 50 gr brass in the back of their standard inserts.

They will be very close in weight and I want to compare long range groups and overall group comparisons with fixed blade Broadheads between these two arrow setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yooper

WKR
Well that's good to know! I'll try building some up for a new Carbon Defiant setup coming soon. Thanks for the info!

ontarget7

WKR
Well that's good to know! I'll try building some up for a new Carbon Defiant setup coming soon. Thanks for the info!

No problem

Not sure what rest your using but stay clear of the Smackdown on those. It can really cause some headaches with a tail high condition

OP
C

cshore93

Lil-Rokslider
27" draw length 70 draw weight 27.5 shaft.

.300 spine BEA Rampages, cut 27.5, 75 grain brass hits, VPA flanged collar, 3 blazers and an X nock. Finish it off with 100 grain Solids, VPA's , Slick Trick mags, or QAD exodus and you have a kick ass elk set up set up for a short draw archer like yourself. Your finished weight will be about 475 grains.

Sorry I'm being dumb but where do you get 475 grains with that set up?
239.25 for the .300 spine
75 for the HITS
15 for the VPA Collar
100 for the Solids

That gets me at 429.25 grains. What am I missing here? lol

Trial153

WKR
Sorry I'm being dumb but where do you get 475 grains with that set up?
239.25 for the .300 spine
75 for the HITS
15 for the VPA Collar
100 for the Solids

That gets me at 429.25 grains. What am I missing here? lol

Your not being dumb your being a smart ass.

Add another 30 grains for three vanes and x nock ...

OP
C

cshore93

Lil-Rokslider
Your not being dumb your being a smart ass.

Add another 30 grains for three vanes and x nock ...
I wasn't being a smart ass at all. I really didn't understand haha. Sorry if it came off that way.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I wasn't being a smart ass at all. I really didn't understand haha. Sorry if it came off that way.

Don't worry about it. I shouldn't have jumped the gun. I been up since 1 am NY time and I now in New Mexico. So I am a little loopy. Hopefully I get a nice buck or two spotted before the season opens

OP
C

cshore93

Lil-Rokslider
Don't worry about it. I shouldn't have jumped the gun. I been up since 1 am NY time and I now in New Mexico. So I am a little loopy. Hopefully I get a nice buck or two spotted before the season opens
Good luck!

ontarget7

WKR
Possibly a new arrow build for elk
636bae1c16465b2f78b725da3a938b55.jpg