THE Flagship Compound Bow?

I have struggled to understand how any compound bow over $1,000 is worth it. But then, I have a slightly different history than most on here and would still consider myself a "newb". I did a lot of archery until I was in the mid teens and then had to do the college, work, family thing. Fast forward 25 years and you can imagine my amazement at the advances in compound bow technology. I just purchased a bow that back then would be been made out of unobtanium. Then I read this article:

Compound Bow Price vs. Performance - Hunter's Friend Archery

This article really seems to sum up the current state of the archery industry. But, is it correct? Does paying more than $1,000 for a compound bow really make sense? What am I missing? What does the archery hunter stand to gain by getting some "Flagship" compound bow?

tioga

FNG
I think I'm just a tight wad when it comes to bow gear, LOL, actually i can't afford to upgrade my archery gear when i want or should.
last yr i went to the local shop to get a new quiver, mine mounts in the riser and i don't like how the knocks sit lower that the bottom cam. The new quiver they had that i liked and did what i wanted was $159, Yikes, i didn't buy it, it came down to $159 for something i liked better but served the same purpose as my old setup and didn't feel it would make any differance in the success of my hunting, i just had to be mindful of my knocks location when i set my bow down to rest.
i still get grief at the shop for not using a string loop, it feels weird and i don't like the feeling of the backwall with it, maybe i need to shorten the draw length 1/4" or so. I shoot great with what i've shot for 20yrs so why change. Is there pros to a loop...sure, are their pros to new riser material..sure
i've spent $400 on good boots and never looked back. had friends that thought i was nuts for buying Swarovskis binos.
In the end i try to make my money purchases something that will make me hunt better. with my bow i think the indian makes the bow, not the bow making the indian. i could be wrong so its just my honest opinion.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I have struggled to understand how any compound bow over $1,000 is worth it. But then, I have a slightly different history than most on here and would still consider myself a "newb". I did a lot of archery until I was in the mid teens and then had to do the college, work, family thing. Fast forward 25 years and you can imagine my amazement at the advances in compound bow technology. I just purchased a bow that back then would be been made out of unobtanium. Then I read this article:

Compound Bow Price vs. Performance - Hunter's Friend Archery

This article really seems to sum up the current state of the archery industry. But, is it correct? Does paying more than $1,000 for a compound bow really make sense? What am I missing? What does the archery hunter stand to gain by getting some "Flagship" compound bow?
If you are a hunter and that is your goal... Deer, elk, pig etc. Will be just as dead with a $300 bow. I can kill with my 190 fps stick and string (long bow), albeit a lot harder. Practice will always trumps equipment in my opinion.

For me, and I assume for many, a bow is more than a tool and goes well beyond the sum of its parts - aluminum, steel, plastic, carbon, and dyneema (or whatever the latest string material is). Personally, I don't mind spending some coin on something i enjoy, especially if it will last for years. Some even consider $1000 cheap for a flagship (aka carbon hoyt). If I look at what i spend on golf, sporting clays, ipsc, snow boarding, etc. and if break it down, archery is relatively cheap entertainment for the time spent. At least I can reuse my arrows after I shoot them (majority of the time). I am sure if I spent less time shooting and hunting, it would be harder to justify spending as much as I do on the sport. But I am blessed and can Hunt year round. Will my custom rattler grips or strict9 strings make me a better hunter? No of course not. Putting the time in the woods does.

Admittedly, there are certainly performance benefits to SOME of the more expensive offerings such as such as speed, smooth draw, low shock/vibe, repeatability etc. That doesn't mean the same or nearly the same can't be had for alot less. This year I took advantage of what I deem to be the deal of the year....2017 Obsession Turmoil. It retails for $699! I don't believe any of the "$1000 flagships" have anything on it and comes with a lifetime guarantee and phenomenal customer service. I would have still chose it if it retailed for $999.

Shoot what works best for you and welcome back.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You are not really getting anything IMO. I've been in the market for a new bow for 3 years to replace my 11 year Bowtech Tribute. Every year I go out and shoot all the new bows and come to the same conclusion. They are nice, quiet, fast, well balanced, but none of them are 2-3x better than my 11 year old bow. I just haven't held a bow in my hand yet that I felt was worth $1000. I also consider the fact that next year, my $1000 bow is worth about $600. So, I'll continue shooting my 11 year old bow and keep an eye out for a deal on a used model that someone just had to have last year but now they are getting rid of it. I'll take advantage of the massive depreciation.

elkyinzer

WKR
Just think of all the prostaffers and obnoxious ads on the Outdoor Channel you are supporting by purchasing a new one!

Grumman

WKR
OP that was a great article thanks for sharing. I've found significant discounts on "last years" unsold flagship bows at dealers or even on Ebay. I sure don't mind shooting a NIB last years model and saving a few hundred bucks to put toward better accessories or arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kicker338

WKR
Buying the flagship bow to is several things to me, how it fits me, draw cycle weight, etc. My current flagship bow it an xpedition X6, took me a yr. before I finally bought it. Several trips to the dealer to shoot it, taking my then current bow to shoot side by side with the X6 then giving it some long thoughts before buying, I now have a bow that, at this time is the best bow that I've ever owned. No discount on the price but the bow fit me so well I would say it was worth it to me

I could never see myself buying a new flagship bow when you can just wait a year or two and get it half price slightly used.

jmez

WKR
Paying more than 1K for a bow makes sense to enough that the companies can produce them. That sets the price and the market. Supply and demand. If no one bought the high end stuff the prices would come down.

boom

WKR
forget the bow. we all look at $1000 differently. for some, chump change, others, some insurmountable amount. the rest, acceptable credit..:)

ontarget7

WKR
I see a lot of bows come and go, as well as owning quite a few personally. For me I have not had any of the main line bows I would choose over a flagship. Whether it be the cam system, the cable guard system, the extra rigid riser, the grip, better limbs etc I always seem to choose them over the mainline.

kodiakfly

WKR
I think it's like any other gear-oriented sport; golf, rifle shooting, even bowling. It depends on how seriously you take it, how often you shoot and what you expect from your gear. No, your bow won't make you a better shot. And no, you don't have to have a flagship to take bowhunting seriously. I'm not saying that. But for me to go golfing for a day or a couple times a year, I'm just as good with a set of cheapos from Walmart as I am with a full set of brand new 2017 TaylorMades (meaning, I suck), and I probably couldn't tell you the difference with a blindfold...so I don't need a set of Taylormades. And I do think bowling is a prime example. How many of us here go bowling with rented shoes and whatever ball we pick up at the lanes? Compare that to the guys that have custom-drilled balls, fancy gear and shoes and even custom-made balls. Some may laugh at these guys for spending that kind of money on a couple different balls, custom-drilled, fancy shoes and those wrist guard things. But to them, it's 100% worth it and it's their thing. Bows are the same way.

It's also what you want to spend your money on. A buddy was in my garage the other day and said, "man, you've got so much stuff...I could never afford it." I said, "sure you can. I just choose to spend my money on gear rather than on Beats headphones, eating out every night, Abercrombie jeans and 20" rims on my truck..." because those are all things he spends his money on.

slick

WKR
It's also what you want to spend your money on. A buddy was in my garage the other day and said, "man, you've got so much stuff...I could never afford it." I said, "sure you can. I just choose to spend my money on gear rather than on Beats headphones, eating out every night, Abercrombie jeans and 20" rims on my truck..." because those are all things he spends his money on.

Agree with all of the above. This also drives me nuts, especially coming people who took a $40k loan out from their parents to buy property and start a registered cattle herd, but look at you like you spoil yourself with hunting gear. It's whatever an individual's priorities are.