looking at older model hoyts. any recommendations?

i'm currently shooting a couple of elite bows but i'm curious to try out a hoyt. i don't have a dealer near me so i was just thinking of picking up a used older model to mess around with. any models or specific cams to stay away from? i've seen some used ones in my price range, specifically right now looking at a CRX 35 with the fuel cams. i know with shooting the elites i've kind of gotten lazy in the backwall so a bow with a shorter valley would probably reinforce proper back tension.

I shot a Hoyt vector for a few years. It was a really solid bow. I think they were 2012 models. They made them in a turbo version too and at 32 and 35" axle to axle lengths. Mine was a vector 32 and was just right.

Dameon

WKR
I would skip the Fuel cams. I didn't care for the draw or the valley. The RKT cams were amazing and I second the choice of the 2012 Vector series. The 2012 Vector Turbo was the last 35 inch axle-to-axle speed bow made by Hoyt. It IBO's at 340 fps and has a nice smooth draw, no hump, and eases right into the valley. The valley is shorter than what you get from any Elite, but it is plenty long enough if you have good form and practice back tension. I love mine. The Faktor series came in 2013 and it used the RKT cams as well, but the Faktor Turbo was only 33 inches ATA versus the 35 of the Vector Turbo. The Spyder series came in 2014-2015 and I think they used the Z5 cams. I haven't tried the Z5 cams, but I hear they are even better than the RKT cams and I aim to pick up a left-handed 2014-2015 Carbon Spyder Turbo or a 2016 Defiant Turbo with DFX cams if I could ever find one used for a good price.

Pramo

WKR
I have had the #3 cam in Fuel, RKT and Z5 on various Hoyts. The only one I would not do again was the Fuel it was jumpy for me and had a harsh draw. RKT and Z5 are similar but I prefer the Z5 so much that I have two hoyts with Z5 cams now as my only compounds and have no plans to replace them anytime soon.

Yooper

WKR
I liked the Z5 cams the best myself as well. Mods should be pretty readily available online as well if you need to change the draw length.

I wish i never sold my Vector 32 . I hated the Faktor turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
AlphaMax 35
Carbon Matrix
Nitrum 34
Spyder 34
CRX 35

All of these would be good bows. Be aware that Hoyt does not make mods for the fuel cam anymore so those would need to be sourced elsewhere if you needed them.

jmez

WKR
Carbon Matrix or Carbon Element.

I was also not a fan of the Fuel cam as others have said.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I changed the fuel cams out for crx it was simple and I just use string length for crx element. Honestly the draw cycle isn't much different but letting down is much easier

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ontarget7

WKR
I have a Carbon Element G3 that is just about brand new. Picked it up about 3 month ago new right out of the box. It was a rare find back east so I jumped on it. I got way to many bows so if interested I would sell it for a great price. I even have two sets of custom strings for it. One just installed and the other just as backup.

On the older Hoyt's the RKT cams are such an awesome overachieving cam. Great speeds

AlphaMax 35
Carbon Matrix
Nitrum 34
Spyder 34
CRX 35

All of these would be good bows. Be aware that Hoyt does not make mods for the fuel cam anymore so those would need to be sourced elsewhere if you needed them.

I think the nitrum 34 is a great bow.

kodiakfly

WKR
I'd say a Carbon Element or Matrix with the RKT cam. I have an Element and sometimes it's a little short for me, but I still like the way it shoots. Plus you can find them these days pretty cheap, relatively.

OP
ezmorningrebel
i appreciate all the input guys. i'm steering away from the crx due to the fuel cams and looking at other models. looks like a vector 35 or turbo might fit the bill in my price range although i'm intrigued by these carbon models now. i love my elite hunter but it's 4.3 lbs bare bow. definitely want to stay with the 34"-35" ata bows.

You would LOVE the carbon Matrix of Vector35. I shot the vector35 and vector32 and the 35 was a total tack driver. Very stable and totally awesome bow! Vector 32 is a great bow as well. Only reason I got the vector 32 was I found it in AT classifieds for $650 and it was a nearly new bow that was just just after they came out in 2012. Saved me $300 off the Vector35

TheTone

WKR
Alphamax is a good one, been really hard for me to have a reason to upgrade.

OP
ezmorningrebel
alright a few more hoyt related questions so i can narrow down models...

what's the general consensus on the 34 models vs the turbo models? if given the choice between forgiveness and speed i'll take forgiveness but are the turbos really that much different. at a 28" draw and poundage in the lower 60s i wouldn't mind a boost in speed.

also, at 28" draw i fall between #2 and #3 cams on a lot of models. would it better to shoot the smaller cam or the larger if I'm in between? maybe it doesn't matter.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the smaller cam your at the top of the power stroke. I've heard it has a slightly different feel I'd lean that way. Down side is it's going to harder to resell since it fits less people than a 3 I'm long draw so have no experience with stubby arm systems sorry.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk