Defiant 34 too slow???

zacha79

Lil-Rokslider
Just to throw another option into the mix, you can order a Defiant Turbo with DFX cams from Hoyt for a slight upcharge. I think the upcharge depends on the dealer. But you would get the shorter brace height of the turbo with the smoother DFX cam

Felix40

WKR
I shot a Nitrum Turbo last year and switched to a Defiant 34 this year. I much prefer shooting the 34 and am more accurate with it. I compensated for the speed difference by switching to lighter arrows to maintain around 280-285 fps. I will say the 34 pulls so smooth I am thinking about 80lb limbs for it.

Thats not a bad idea. I think once you make the switch to 80 you will never go back.

crunchy

Lil-Rokslider
Just because mass and velocity go to equate energy carbon revolution arrows by high country archery may be something to consider

zacha79

Lil-Rokslider
zacha79 is correct. I did a quick overview on this build for Youtube. I am a dealer in Denver and we have sold quite a few turbos with the DFX cam option. Here is the video. I will be doing a follow up review on this bow soon. I will post it in the subcategory under archery in the Alpha Bowhunting section. Alpha show 3- Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo custom build - YouTube

your video was the first i had heard of this. but of course i already had a CD 34 on order. thanks for posting that first video and looking forward to the follow up

hflier

WKR
Amen...I am said bow tuner. In all honesty I haven't given broadhead tuning much of a go since I started tuning a couple years ago. I had my bow last year shooting great w/ field tips, and broadheads (shuttle t) were about 5 inches off at 60. Rather than start messing around with my rest I tried hypodermics (I had been shooting Rages for a few years with good luck) and they hit pretty much spot on with my field tips. I am going to probably play with broadhead tuning a bit this year, I'll try the Shuttles again and maybe some Slicks, maybe G5s. I would MUCH rather shoot fixed, especially at longer ranges with 67 pound draw.

I am not a know it all on bow tuning. But this issue validates the bow still needs some tuning. Keep working it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
I will say this, my D34 with 65lb limbs is putting a 417gr arrow out at 280, and a 398 out at 288. I draw 30". It's not dead slow, and is by FAR the smoothest draw cycle I have shot pretty much ever. Letting it down is just as easy as drawing. I am seriously considering 80lb limbs (I have shot 75-80lbs a lot before on much harsher bows), but my dealer says $200-250 and an unknown delivery date.... (lame!) But then I ask myself do I really NEED more than 417gr@280?

Sent from handheld device with tiny keyboard.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
I will say this, my D34 with 65lb limbs is putting a 417gr arrow out at 280, and a 398 out at 288. I draw 30". It's not dead slow, and is by FAR the smoothest draw cycle I have shot pretty much ever. Letting it down is just as easy as drawing. I am seriously considering 80lb limbs (I have shot 75-80lbs a lot before on much harsher bows), but my dealer says $200-250 and an unknown delivery date.... (lame!) But then I ask myself do I really NEED more than 417gr@280?

Sent from handheld device with tiny keyboard.

80lb limbs on a D34 would still be smoother than a lot of bows at 70. My carbon defiant 31 is pulling 74lbs right now and its smooth. I had it tuned at the bow shop the other night and one of the owners shot it and commented on how smooth it was for 70lbs. I told him it was at 74 and he didn't believe me till he put it on the scale.

TheTone

WKR
zacha79 is correct. I did a quick overview on this build for Youtube. I am a dealer in Denver and we have sold quite a few turbos with the DFX cam option. Here is the video. I will be doing a follow up review on this bow soon. I will post it in the subcategory under archery in the Alpha Bowhunting section. Alpha show 3- Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo custom build - YouTube

What specs does your bow have, DL, DW, axle to axle and brace height? That setup seems like a great option. Is it available in the pro defiant series as well?

Tilzbow

WKR
I fight the narrow valley on my turbo. I use a trigger release so if I relax it yanks me forward. Hasn't happened in the field as I am usually jacked up with adrenaline but it does and will happen in practice. Once or twice out of the several times over the last 18 months it has tweaked my shoulder when I collapsed.

I have also had issues with getting and keeping the bow tuned and timed. Mine is back in the shop now and among other things I am trying to get them to fix the timing.

Just posting for posterity, I shot that defiant 34 one too many times and ended up taking it home. My turbo is finally well tuned but that 34 is a sweet shooting bow. I doubt I would ever buy a turbo again. Btw my turbo is pulling about 64 lbs and shoots a 438 arrow / feild point at 288 FPS. My defiant 34 is pulling 75 lbs and has a smoother but obviously heavier draw. I haven't measured the let off weights but they feel about the same to me at full draw. The defiant flings those 438s at 304 FPS and feels like a better shooter in nearly every way. Accuracy was about the same once I got the feel of the defiant and has become significantly better with practice. It is now my primary and the turbo is a backup.