lighted nocks now legal in MT

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was using some Nocturnals before Colorado legalized them, just for tuning purposes (watching the flight). But I don't like the way they "press" onto the string. My normal Bohning A-nocks "snap" onto the string and don't crush it like the Nocturnal nocks do. So even though CO legalized them, I still haven't used them for hunting. They hit the same as using my A-nocks, so more of a mental thing for me than anything.

Beendare

WKR
I had the nokturnals of a few years ago cost me a layup shot on a pig.....busted on the shot....sounded like a dry fire. Pig was 20 yds and the arrow went 10.

Does anyone know if they are making them beefier now?

colersu22

WKR
I have been using Nokturnals for the last couple years and have never had one break on the shot but that could happen with a regular nock. I haven't tried any other style yet but was thinking of switching this year to something I can change the battery on. The nokturnals are some what of a pain to turn off after they have been through an animal in my opinion.

I had the nokturnals of a few years ago cost me a layup shot on a pig.....busted on the shot....sounded like a dry fire. Pig was 20 yds and the arrow went 10.

Does anyone know if they are making them beefier now?

I know they changed the x nocks. You can really see where they added plastic compared to the previous version.

If you do a Google and-or Ebay search you'll see the old ones and newer.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Nockturnals are all I've tried but I like them a lot. Nice and bright and help find your arrow if it's close to dark. Obviously is a big help in seeing shot placement in low light too.

Don't think they make a big difference in normal light conditions though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To answer the OP's question I now use Nockturnals. I've paid my dues getting to this point and here's what I'll say. If money isn't an issue get Firenoks and use their practice nocks = done. From there it's a matter of finding a lighted nock that best matches your practice nocks or changing nocks in your arrows to best match a lighted nock.

For example I use an Easton x nock with match weight added for practice because it has a similar string fit and is within .003 height difference between string nocks from Nocturnal x nocks. These group with field points out to 80 yrds which is the furthest my sight will let me shoot

I don't like the push in to activate type like Lumenocks or Carbon Express because if you hit something hard like a bone they can bounce back out and turn off.

Beendare

WKR
I know they changed the x nocks. You can really see where they added plastic compared to the previous version.

If you do a Google and-or Ebay search you'll see the old ones and newer.

Ok will do.

So the Nokturnals i had were from about 2012-2013. I had them sitting around before I used them. Personally i like to test my stuff thoroughly...shoot every hunting arrow for groups that kind of thing. So I had shot those Nokturnals probably 25 times each prior to using them on the hunt. I broke 2 in practice...not by hitting them but they cracked when hitting the target...which had me a little worried.

The design where the string is suspended a tiny bit out from the switch is ingenious, but it puts a lot of pressure on the ears of the nok on release as the string acts as a hammer.

Ok will do.

So the Nokturnals i had were from about 2012-2013. I had them sitting around before I used them. Personally i like to test my stuff thoroughly...shoot every hunting arrow for groups that kind of thing. So I had shot those Nokturnals probably 25 times each prior to using them on the hunt. I broke 2 in practice...not by hitting them but they cracked when hitting the target...which had me a little worried.

The design where the string is suspended a tiny bit out from the switch is ingenious, but it puts a lot of pressure on the ears of the nok on release as the string acts as a hammer.
Go to ebay and search Nocturnal x nocks and you'll see both still being sold. I had one last fall that wouldn't group with other arrows and it turned out it had a small crack at the opening where you turn it off. In all fairness It may have been damaged when I clean missed the target in a previous session. You'd be surprised how much higher an arrow shoots when you don't notice it doesn't have a field point on it.:(