Solid Broadheads

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious who else uses the Solid Broadheads, specifically, how durable are you finding the heads? I was shooting this evening into my Matrix target and when I pulled out one of the arrows the bleeder blade was snapped off. This is on top of both heads that were used to take an elk and mule deer this year were destroyed.

IMG_0035.jpg

I love how the heads fly and the ease of resharpening but am starting to seriously question if it's still worth the massive price to stick with them.

Mine were not durable at all and I have stated that on here before as well. Basically the ferrule was so skinny and then at the end where the main blade and bleeder cross you had 4 little tiny posts holding those blades. Neither blade was damaged on mine but it broke two of the posts allowing the whole main blade and bleeder to rotate. Solid customer service was great no questions asked or pictures needed and I had another head shortly. I sold them because it wasn't worth the hassle of calling for a replacement every time I used them to shoot an animal. Now our new sponsor here on the forum Iron Will may have solved that issue with a big beefy looking ferrule. I have not shot them or handled them but they certainly look up to the challenge.

LostArra

WKR
If you are into the broadhead research by Dr Ed Ashby, his #1 factor affecting arrow penetration is Broadhead Structural Integrity.
I'm not a Ashby disciple because I don't shoot the weight of bows he was testing but a lot of his findings are sound for any setup.

Good customer service is great when something breaks but I would rather it not break and never need customer service.

I still have three from when speck first introduced them. No issues with durability. Think one head has 6 deer, 4 hogs and a javi.

It did get nicked up pretty good on the javi, took me about 45 min but I got it cleaned up. I like them been playing with the gravediggers alot recently so haven't shot the soilds in a while

cooperjd

WKR
Check out iron will heads. Stronger steel than solids though not a cheap head. I'm very impressed with mine and their initial quality. Hopefully I'll get to test them on an elk this year and report back

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been testing the Solid's and the Ironwill along with my proven ST 100 mags, all heads in 100 grains. I haven't had any issues with the two new ones. IMO so far the Ironwill definitely seems to be a better built head.

Penetration and flight testing have been very similar. Still testing and will have a dedicated review coming in the next 6-8 weeks. Will get hundreds of more shots with them and a more detailed analysis.

There a lot of steels better than SV30 for impact resistance. Solids show that in their edge chatter. If you're going to spend that kind of money, there are way better choices: Bishop, Iron Will, GK, and A-TAC to name a few.

Beyond the steel itself, three other factors determine head strength: Geometry (overall shape and bevel) Hardening Process, and Construction (machined, molded, or stamped).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk