Nitrum 34 Cam Swap

Capt Jims

FNG
I am looking into Swapping out my #3 cam to a #2 cam on my HOYT Nitrum 34. I know this involves a string change, but I am changing strings anyways. My reasons are that at a 29" DL I am using module E on the #3 cam and would be using module A on the #2 cam which uses the FULL rotation of the Cams. I have been reading elsewhere that this is the right thing to do and I will actually gain Speed by using the full rotation of the cam which makes sense. My question is 1 have any of you done this, and what was YOUR personal result ie speed poundage gain or loss and 2, would you do it again if you knew now what you didn't then.
Thank You all in advance for any suggestions
Jim

OR Archer

WKR
If you have it set at E slot on a 34 #3 cam you're at 31" not 29". Slot A on a #2 is 27". I'm guessing you probably just have those numbers backwards?

jmez

WKR
I've never done it but it will probably not draw quite the same. Should make the draw cycle a little more aggressive I think. OR could likely answer that.

May need to swap out limbs as well to keep the same performance (draw weight). Might want to check into it, draw weight will likely increase...

OP
C

Capt Jims

FNG
OOOOPS, OR Archer..... Yes you are correct.
I was trying to be to precise, Either way, If I'm going to switch strings a little more spent for more performance may be a good thing. My only concerns are if the Limbs will be effected or is it really that much of a performance advantage.

OP
C

Capt Jims

FNG
I just talked to HOYT. Good People, very good information. They said that no limb replacement would be necessary. They did say the speed difference would be noticeable due to using the "full range" of motion on the #2 vs #3 cam but would not say how much I should expect. I was very impressed with the young lady I spoke with. She also said that I would notice a difference in the area just before the cam rolls over, but let off would be the same as with the #3 cam. On the Draw Weight she said it would be minimal in her understanding.

The difference in draw weight from a #2 cam to a #3 on a Defiant was close to 10 lb for a setup I was involved with. Maybe it's because of the limb design? PM if you want more details.

OR Archer

WKR
Roadrunner the Nitrum has an older limb style than the Defiants so the change in poundage is not as severe.

OR Archer

WKR
As far as what to expect in performance gains it'll be 5-8fps on average. The loss in poundage is usually 3lbs from what I have experienced. So if it peaked above 70 it'll be right at 70 or slightly lower. Not enough where I would say you need to change limbs. Draw cycle will be slightly stiffer but not bad.

iirc you will get less valley on the #2 but obviously more speed. on the nitrum 30 im a 28 dl and could go either #2 ior #3 cam but more valley is more important to me than 5 fps so i went with #3

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
What you will gain in speed is minimal. Having more valley and a smoother draw out of the #3 cam is more important in my opinion. I would rather have the #3 cam and heavier limbs than drop to the #2 cam

OP
C

Capt Jims

FNG
Thanks Guys. It has 65# limbs on it now. It does draw real smooth with the #3 cam. I made an appointment last night with the Local HOYT Dealer here in Vegas for Sunday morning so it can be set up correctly either way. The speed doesn't really bother me as with the arrows I'm shooting now through the Chrono went 316fps with 80# KE, so I guess good with that. My last bow (CREED) was only 288fps with 74# KE with the same arrows. I just like getting the most from what I'm using no matter if is my bow or fishing tackle. I'm going to have new strings put on it so I figured if it was worth the extra money to do the Cam Swap now would be the time. I really do appreciate all of your comments.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Guys. It has 65# limbs on it now. It does draw real smooth with the #3 cam. I made an appointment last night with the Local HOYT Dealer here in Vegas for Sunday morning so it can be set up correctly either way. The speed doesn't really bother me as with the arrows I'm shooting now through the Chrono went 316fps with 80# KE, so I guess good with that. My last bow (CREED) was only 288fps with 74# KE with the same arrows. I just like getting the most from what I'm using no matter if is my bow or fishing tackle. I'm going to have new strings put on it so I figured if it was worth the extra money to do the Cam Swap now would be the time. I really do appreciate all of your comments.

To be honest, if you were going to put new strings and swap cams, you would be better off selling the bow as is and buying a new one

OR Archer

WKR
What arrows are you shooting to get that speed reading? You'd have to be at 325gr or less to get that out of that bow at your specs.

OP
C

Capt Jims

FNG
Victory VP1, They are 367gr on my target arrows. I did the math myself as well and 316 did not make sense to me either, but that is what it came up with on 4 shots through. My Hunting VP1's are 435gr and they go through at 293 which again does not add up in the math either. That's why I don't put much into doing that. It's like buying a new Driver at the golf shop. You hit it 300+ in the booth but in real life its 260 maybe...... This bow has some sentimental value to it and is the only reason I am going through all of this. Ill have a new Defiant after this season, but for this season it will be in the mountains with me if I'm lucky enough to get drawn here in Nevada

OR Archer

WKR
Still one of the best bows Hoyt ever made. Nitrum series are shooters. Good luck with the changes.

desertcj

WKR
Those speeds you are posting are what you would expect from a Nitrum turbo. If you like the bow, I probably wouldn't go through the trouble for 5fps. I'm not positive but I think that going to a 2E from a 3A is going to take a half inch from the draw length?