Measuring draw length

What is the most accurate way to measure draw length?
Last year i went off the old "divide your arm span by 2.5 " method, and that got me 29" which after shooting for a year with my current set up I feel is too short as I have to move my face toward the string and hunch a little (which i thought was normal) I shoot ok like this but always felt like i could be doing better.

Just saw a video with john dudleys method of measuring draw length and according to him I should be at 31" which isn't much of a shocker to me after realizing how jacked my form is.

On a side note IF i need to lengthen my draw on my bow (hoyt defiant 34 - 29" draw) what is it going to take? Will i need new limbs? Just cams? Or would i be better off with a new bow?

I really want to get this set up perfect as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I like Dudley's method:

Proper Draw Length with John Dudley of Nock On - YouTube

Then adjust DL to get the string to rest at the tip of your nose with proper form. The proper form part is important. I know Dudley says he goes a tad shorter on his hunting bows for late season when he's hunting whitetail from a tree, for clearance around thicker clothes... If you have the 27-29" cam, you could probably get that out to 29.5" - but you'd probably be better off with new cams if you're a legit 31".

Here's what I'd do first - go to your shop, test out the longer cam on one of their bows, and see how the longer DL feels. Have them set it at different lengths, and preferably have them video you with your phone to see your form and where the string is in relation to your nose. If you need the longer cam - you could either get a new bow and sell yours, or have them order and install new cams. Keep in mind - most Hoyt's aren't dead on to their true length. They can run .25" - .5" longer than their "setting" pretty easily.

Having a 31" draw would be a nice problem to have :D

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last year i went off the old "divide your arm span by 2.5 " method, and that got me 29"

Just saw a video with john dudleys method of measuring draw length and according to him I should be at 31"

I don't think I've ever seen that first method be off by 2" before. I would definitely find a competent shop and have someone help you out with this. 2" difference in draw length is huge. Both those methods put me within 1/4" of each other.

the divide by 2.5 and the yardstick to the throat method both put me right at 28". dudley's method came out significantly longer which matches your findings. perhaps i wasn't' following dudley's method right. what feels right to me is 28.5". i'm sure if i posted up photos people would tell me it's too long but 28" feels cramped and i have to fold my bow arm to find my anchor.

29" draw on your bow means you're either in the E position of a #2 cam or the A position of a #3 cam. they will be stamped either dfx 2 or dfx 3. if you've got #3 cams you can go to a longer draw length with no problems. if you've got #2 cams you would have to replace cams and strings to go longer.

Similar discussion on a previous thread about changing out limbs. With the Defiant bows, changing cams from a 2 to a 3 will drastically affect draw weight. The limb design for 2 cams will decrease draw weight if 3's are put on.

jmez

WKR
I would try to find a competent coach in your area before doing anything. If you have form issues you need to fix that before you go changing anything else. Also, how tall are you?

OR Archer

WKR
If your bow has a #3 cam you can adjust the draw length out. Be advised that when you do this the timing will change and need to be reset.

OP
skaldugwas
Im heading to the bow shop today to see if they can shed some light on the situation.
I have #2 cams set on E.
about how much is new cams, cables, and strings going to run?
Or would i just be better off finding a new used bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
Cams - $150
Limbs -$225
Strings -$100-175

You'd be better off finding a new bow or trading with someone