Montana Black Gold Pure Gold Sight **Review Added**

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey all,

Ive been eyeballing this sight for awhile now and after the Western Hunt Expo and meeting with Kendall from Black Ovis we decided to team up for another Rokslide Review.

Black Gold Pure Gold 75 Movable Sight

I went with a 5 pin and the 4th and 5th being the .010 Dia pins.

I mounted it on my bow last week and today I was able to get out to the range to start getting it sighted in. I only worked on the 20 yard pin but it was still good to get a feel for sight and how it adjusts. I am coming from an older Montana Black Gold sight so this is just an upgraded version of what I had. Initial impression is good, I was able to get it dialed in with about 15 arrows.

***The review is complete and you can read it here*** Montana Black Gold - Pure Gold 75 Review

Here is towards the end of my shooting session. I made a slight adjustment from here, shot 3 more arrows and called it a day.

Attention to detail on the construction is nice, lots of good machining and quality material. The microadjust on these is awesome. It is what really sets this apart from last sight. Simply loosen the bolt holding which ever axis you wish to move, then you have the ability to adjust one "click" at a time.

Stay tuned to this thread as I get this sight dialed in for alot of 3D shoots this summer and then into hunting season. I have a few archery hunts lined up you never know what the draws will bring! Fire away question you may have or any pictures you want to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got one, and today was the first time I played with it. I was actually disappointed with the micro-adjust. I guess I expected it to be toolless. Works fine, just requires a lot more Allen wrenching than I expected.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got one, and today was the first time I played with it. I was actually disappointed with the micro-adjust. I guess I expected it to be toolless. Works fine, just requires a lot more Allen wrenching than I expected.
I know what you mean. I thought the same thing. But it makes sense now that I played with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I was definitely not impressed with this sight. Sold it after a couple months.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was definitely not impressed with this sight. Sold it after a couple months.
Well that's not good! What didn't you like about it that caused you to sell it?

ahlgringo

WKR
I have this sight. Love it- 5 pin with bottom 0.01 floater. Super bright pins, bulletproof construction. Only wish would be larger housing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
Well that's not good! What didn't you like about it that caused you to sell it?

1) Lots of buzz from the pin adjusters and elsewhere in the sight.
2) I didn't like the 2nd/3rd axis adjustment compared to Spot Hogg.
3) When there was too much light behind the bubble it made it so I couldn't see the pins because of the glare. This was an absolute deal breaker for me. The sun didn't even have to be directly behind the bubble or very low in the sky for it to be a major problem.

Last edited:
OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
3) When there was too much light behind the bubble it made it so I couldn't see the pins. This was an absolute deal breaker for me. The sun didn't even have to be directly behind the bubble or very low in the sky for it to be a major problem.
Well thanks for the info. I will definitely pay attention to that stuff.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Been shooting mine for over 6 months. My first impression was good until about 40 shots in I had a weird buzzing sound and found my sight actually came loose a spot only they would have touched. After about 20 min of being careful and getting it tightened with a drop of loc-tite, I was back to dialing it in again. I've been extremely happy with it ever since! Brighter pins than my previous SH, easy adjustments, and is solid after my initial problem.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a Pure, but the regular Ascent Verdict and really like mine. No slop/buzz at all

Mine only had the buzzing because some set screws came loose so my entire sight was slightly wobbly. After I took it apart and used some blue locktite and put it back together I've had nothing but great luck! Can't image going to a different brand I've been so pleased with this one.

InDeep

WKR
3) When there was too much light behind the bubble it made it so I couldn't see the pins because of the glare. This was an absolute deal breaker for me. The sun didn't even have to be directly behind the bubble or very low in the sky for it to be a major problem.

I have personally experienced all these things as well . It was just a really load sight for me. I really wanted it to work out. I feel they have the best fiber in the business

nickstone

WKR
I have one too and I'm pretty disappointed with it, with a great as its hyped up to be I really wanted it work out. It's loud and can buzz like a rattlesnake sometimes. I don't think its built rock solid at all, mine is on a 6" dovetail and it seems pretty weak, I acutally kinda baby it.

The other thing I didn't like is that the lens kit is left/right hand specific. I bought a lens and it didn't fit my sight, there is a minor difference in offset for the 2 mounting screws, it seems like it would be pretty easy to make it universal. The retailer wouldn't take the lens back, I emailed black gold, they wouldn't do anything. So I ended up selling it for half of what I payed on archerytalk.

If anybody is looking for a LH 6 pin pure gold with a dovetail let me know, I'll sell it cheap or possibly trade for a hogg father.

I run the level bubble on top instead of the bottom of the housing........less reflection and gives me more yardage and a better less cluttered sight picture as I use the 60 yd pin as the floater on my 4 pin BG Verdict. If you are right handed, you need a left handed sight ring with level bubble to convert to the bubble at the top, or put the ring on backward as I did to try out the concept in the first place. I wouldn't go back to the bottom after trying it. No buzz or issues with the Verdict sight either.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
What have you guys noticed are the main differences between the Ascent Verdict and Pure, besides price? Is it mainly the materials used?

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, I'm glad that I looked at this today. I currently have a pure 75 and the standard non micro 5 pin slider version. I definitely like the pure more, It has a full aluminum rail so it is much more solid.

However, like you guys I noticed that these sights make more noise than any other slider I have owned. Tonight I'm going to put vibra tight on every thread. If that does not fix it then I'm chalking it up to a design that has weird harmonics.

Ill report what I find. I really like most of the features and construction but the noise is a deal breaker for me.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got a handful of arrows in this morning before work.

I would disagree on the noise level of this sight so far. I think it's pretty quiet. Time will tell though! I'll keep my ears open.

JNDEER

WKR
I too agree with the glare from the sun on the bubble, but it only effects me when I am actually staring at the bubble.

The only issue I have had with the sight over the years I have owned it is having to replace the photo shell yearly. Not sure if it is because I hunt a lot or what, but I basically have to get a new shell every year.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Believe it or not, we've actually had some sunshine here in western Washington the last week or so. Tonight I got a handful of arrows in as the sun was setting. The sun was at 2 o'clock. I paid attention to the glare on the bubble. I got nothing, no glare, I could see my bubble and lines just fine.