Flat stone sharpening fixed blade broadheads

TheCougar

WKR
I'm changing broadheads and I want to be able to resharpen the head and blades. I already have a DMT diamond plate and 1000,3000, and 5000 grit shapton sharpening stones. So the question: what broadheads can I resharpen on flat stones? (Resharpen the entire broadhead with blades installed). The ones that I know of are wac em, G5 montecs, and vpa. What others? I'm specifically curious about the qad exodus, amongst others.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Montecs, Hellrazors, & VPA come to mind.

With the Wac'em and Exodus, just remove the blades and sharpen. Allows for a steeper blade angle = sharper but dulls easier.

Trial153

WKR
If you get a broadhead blade holder like a kme you can sharpen most any removable blade on a flat stone.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
If you get a broadhead blade holder like a kme you can sharpen most any removable blade on a flat stone.

That isn't what I am looking to do, unfortunately. Too complicated and I'm too cheap. I just want to run them on the bench stones and be done with it.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Montecs, Hellrazors, & VPA come to mind.

With the Wac'em and Exodus, just remove the blades and sharpen. Allows for a steeper blade angle = sharper but dulls easier.

I thought you could leave the blades in the wac em and sharpen the entire thing when it is put together. It sounds like I need to remove the blades from the exodus... so it isn't possible to sharpen the exodus with the blades installed?

Trial153

WKR
Your options are limited then to two blade heads or three bladed heads with a wide poor angle like three bladed VPA.

Beendare

WKR
A tip;
i finish mine with light strokes from a chock stick after putting them on a flat stone....the best strategy I've found to get them crazy sharp.

Then you get the advantage of the tougher bevel along with the sharpness of the skinny bevels- Thumbs up!

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
A tip;
i finish mine with light strokes from a chock stick after putting them on a flat stone....the best strategy I've found to get them crazy sharp.

Then you get the advantage of the tougher bevel along with the sharpness of the skinny bevels- Thumbs up!

What broadheads are you sharpening/using?

For Exodus, I can get away with keeping the blades on and either using a flat stone or even a cheap Lansky "pull through" type of sharpener.

4rcgoat

WKR
I'm changing broadheads and I want to be able to resharpen the head and blades. I already have a DMT diamond plate and 1000,3000, and 5000 grit shapton sharpening stones. So the question: what broadheads can I resharpen on flat stones? (Resharpen the entire broadhead with blades installed). The ones that I know of are wac em, G5 montecs, and vpa. What others? I'm specifically curious about the qad exodus, amongst others.

I had some Magnus snuffers that i used the same flat stones to sharpen.

The VPA 3 blades sharpen easy on a flat stone . Great heads and company. The only 3 blade heads I use. There is a link on the VPA websight showing the basic push forward technique on the flat stone. I would think any durable 3 blade head could be sharpened using the same technique. For 2 blade heads I just match the edge angle with either a spyderco sharp maker or a clamp type system .

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Iron Will broadheads can be sharpened with a flat stone, with or without removing the blades. We recently made a video of this and will post it soon.