Post Thanks / Like

Flat stone sharpening fixed blade broadheads

I'm changing broadheads and I want to be able to resharpen the head and blades. I already have a DMT diamond plate and 1000,3000, and 5000 grit shapton sharpening stones. So the question: what broadheads can I resharpen on flat stones? (Resharpen the entire broadhead with blades installed). The ones that I know of are wac em, G5 montecs, and vpa. What others? I'm specifically curious about the qad exodus, amongst others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Montecs, Hellrazors, & VPA come to mind.

With the Wac'em and Exodus, just remove the blades and sharpen. Allows for a steeper blade angle = sharper but dulls easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get a broadhead blade holder like a kme you can sharpen most any removable blade on a flat stone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial153 View Post
    If you get a broadhead blade holder like a kme you can sharpen most any removable blade on a flat stone.
    That isn't what I am looking to do, unfortunately. Too complicated and I'm too cheap. I just want to run them on the bench stones and be done with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJimmy View Post
    Montecs, Hellrazors, & VPA come to mind.

With the Wac'em and Exodus, just remove the blades and sharpen. Allows for a steeper blade angle = sharper but dulls easier.
    I thought you could leave the blades in the wac em and sharpen the entire thing when it is put together. It sounds like I need to remove the blades from the exodus... so it isn't possible to sharpen the exodus with the blades installed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your options are limited then to two blade heads or three bladed heads with a wide poor angle like three bladed VPA.

Post Thanks / Like
    A tip;
    i finish mine with light strokes from a chock stick after putting them on a flat stone....the best strategy I've found to get them crazy sharp.

Then you get the advantage of the tougher bevel along with the sharpness of the skinny bevels- Thumbs up!
    “It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.” ― Jimmy Buffett

"You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.” ― Edwin Louis Cole

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    A tip;
    i finish mine with light strokes from a chock stick after putting them on a flat stone....the best strategy I've found to get them crazy sharp.

Then you get the advantage of the tougher bevel along with the sharpness of the skinny bevels- Thumbs up!

What broadheads are you sharpening/using?

Post Thanks / Like
    For Exodus, I can get away with keeping the blades on and either using a flat stone or even a cheap Lansky "pull through" type of sharpener.
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, MBG Pure Gold 75 sight, TightSpot quiver, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus/Trophy Taker A-TAC broadheads, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Cold Steel blade, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 tent, Kifaru 0 degree Slick bag.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntr64 View Post
    For Exodus, I can get away with keeping the blades on and either using a flat stone or even a cheap Lansky "pull through" type of sharpener.
    Good to know. I think I might try the exodus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCougar View Post
    Good to know. I think I might try the exodus.
    But just know you have to sharpen each blade one at a time; you can't lay the head flat on the stone and sharpen two blades at once like you can with a VPA or Bishop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, MBG Pure Gold 75 sight, TightSpot quiver, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus/Trophy Taker A-TAC broadheads, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Cold Steel blade, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 tent, Kifaru 0 degree Slick bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCougar View Post
    I'm changing broadheads and I want to be able to resharpen the head and blades. I already have a DMT diamond plate and 1000,3000, and 5000 grit shapton sharpening stones. So the question: what broadheads can I resharpen on flat stones? (Resharpen the entire broadhead with blades installed). The ones that I know of are wac em, G5 montecs, and vpa. What others? I'm specifically curious about the qad exodus, amongst others.
    I had some Magnus snuffers that i used the same flat stones to sharpen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a vid on sharpening magnus black hornet Ser broadheads .
    Broadhead Sharpening - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    The VPA 3 blades sharpen easy on a flat stone . Great heads and company. The only 3 blade heads I use. There is a link on the VPA websight showing the basic push forward technique on the flat stone. I would think any durable 3 blade head could be sharpened using the same technique. For 2 blade heads I just match the edge angle with either a spyderco sharp maker or a clamp type system .

Post Thanks / Like
    Iron Will broadheads can be sharpened with a flat stone, with or without removing the blades. We recently made a video of this and will post it soon.
    Bill Vanderheyden
    - Backcountry Bow Hunter
    - Lead Engineer at Iron Will Outfitters - makers of premium broadheads as reliable as science allows, for the most memorable hunts.
    - Rokslide Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Does someone sell the stones in like a little to buy. Or is it better to buy individual stuff