Range report

Went to the local range Saturday evening with a buddy.
Just hanging bag targets filled with plastic sheeting.
But I noticed throughout the course that I had on average at least 6 inches more penetration than him. Both shooting same IBO bow with him having two more inches of draw length on me.
He has the Gold Tip pierce and I have the 5mm FMJs.
Do you guys think the heavier arrow is providing the extra penetration or carbon vs aluminum, or something else?
Hopefully it will transfer to live animal penetration as well.

cooperjd

WKR
the "slickness" on the outside of the arrows may make a teeny tiny difference in actual animal penetration (although blood will be a lubricant on both).

the extra mass (although you didnt say how much) is more likely to make a difference in animal penetration.

i do not believe you can get any meaningful comparison in a target. targets stop arrows in a very different way than animal tissue does. my 487 gr arrows flying around 295 fps will go into a target just as deep as my 641gr arrows at 275 fps. there will be no comparison on real world animal application between those two arrows, the heavy ones will win every time.

Too many variables here to have any idea what the causes of penetration differences are:

1). IBO of a bow is measured at a standard draw length and draw weight with nothing on the string and doesn't tell you or your buddy what your actual performance is at different draw lengths or draw weights with additional weight on the string......loops, silencers, peep sights, etc. You'd get a better handle on arrow perfomance by using the same bow to shoot both arrows (but could get into tune issues shooting your buddy's arrows).
2). Field point shape and diameter will change penetration dramatically, even with identical arrows shot from the same bow by the same archer (me in this case) with bag targets or even some foam targets. For your comparative arrow tests, ensure that identical points are on each arrow. 3). We don't hunt bag targets with field points, so your test, even if well controlled is not giving you a lot of valuable information related to how your bow, arrow, broadhead and you will perform when hunting animals, but it is fun prep for the real thing! Rest assured that a decent broadhead on a good flying arrow from a modern hunting bow placed in the vitals will do the job.

Good luck hunting!