Your Favorite Broadhead for Elk

Beendare

WKR
I'm shooting 300 Spartans. With 125 field tips they weighed just north of 450.

450gr arrow...you really can shoot any BH.

I just like the added penetration of the VPA style heads...AND many times the animal just stands there or walks off not knowing they were hit with those COC tapered heads. I haven't had a long track job in years.

Heres one for ya (pics always make these threads better, eh?)....i shot him at about 12 yds....and he just stood there after the shot...only lunging a few feet as he fell over. They just don't feel anything with those COC's.
2010 bull ashelay reduced.jpg

And here is a comparison.....with the VPA 150 3 blade on the left, 150 2 blade is all black.

6 bh's comparison.jpg

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
450gr arrow...you really can shoot any BH.

I just like the added penetration of the VPA style heads...AND many times the animal just stands there or walks off not knowing they were hit with those COC tapered heads. I haven't had a long track job in years.

Heres one for ya (pics always make these threads better, eh?)....i shot him at about 12 yds....and he just stood there after the shot...only lunging a few feet as he fell over. They just don't feel anything with those COC's.
View attachment 50499

And here is a comparison.....with the VPA 150 3 blade on the left, 150 2 blade is all black.

View attachment 50500

Which are you shooting, 2 blades or 3?

BSeals71

WKR
I going to give the Slick Tricks a try this year. Not sure if I should go with the Viper Trick or Standard 1"

Beendare

WKR
Which are you shooting, 2 blades or 3?
I shoot both...both tune the same in my recurve and my compound...and carry both in my quiver.

That bull above was shot with a magnus snuffer ss, good head...but I have since moved away from them as there are others stronger and more consistent.

gansettx

FNG
Slick Tricks flew great for me and have done their job...but this year VPA or Rage are getting the nod.

I'm shooting 300 Spartans. With 125 field tips they weighed just north of 450.
Use whatever you want. My arrows are I'm shooting that exact same shaft and weight (455gr) out of my Perfexion at 74lb. The only bad answer is a broadhead you don't have confidence in. That being said Slicks and Shuttle T's fly great for me so they're my recommendation. I'm going to play with the same heads as 92xj for the same reasons (also because my bow has to much Trophy Taker stuff on it).

WKR
For my 460 grain arrow, at 280ish fps, I like the NAP Killzone, Low KE. The Low KE head is COC and has narrower blades (1 1/2" vs 2") which makes me think I'll get better penetration, the main downside with a mechanical.

TheJuice

WKR
Ramcat. Fly very accurate. Last few bulls I've shot with a ramcat have died within 5 seconds
I've used these as well. Only on whitetail thus far. Great head. My only complaint was how easy it was to damage the thin trailing edge. Have you found away around this other than being really careful with them?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm anal as it gets about my broadheads. I've shot ST 100 grain magnums for years. I probably have over 50 new and used heads in my possession and killed a ton of animals with them. With that said I've been using the Ironwill 100's since late winter. I've done a wide array of testing on them. Spin, flight, penetration, noise, and more. These heads are extremely well built, with craftsmanship second to none I've every seen. I have a background in the technical machining field and these guys have the process figured out.

I've been shooting these to 70 yards and they fly great. In the very near future I'll have them to 120 yards.

I booked a cancellation bear hunt a week ago, for Manitoba over Memorial week-end. You'll see the action on a semi-live hunt, and hopefully you will see these heads through a few bears.

Last edited:
Vap Killzone Trophies..... 125 gr with a heavy SS outsert= FOC at close to 20 and 480 gr arrows flying at 299 MPH. I forgot what my KE was but it high.
Honestly, if you are over 400, and hit the oven, you are good with any reputable fixed or most of the mechanicals. Shot placement is more critical than set up, for the most part.... I don't normally shoot the mech unless I am north of 450 gr on arrow and still cooking at 300 fps with tons of momentum using the higher FOC.

Just me, everyone eats their own flavor

Last decade it has been 395 gr arrows, 100 gr Montec fixed blade flying at 335 fps. 3 Pass thrus on elk. First 2 were at 46 yrds, the 2nd was 82 yrds. Several deer and other elk as well, but not pass thru's. Hence me switching to heavier set up.

Shot placement was key. Heavier arrow set up gets you some foregiveness in that placement. Larger wound channel helps. Lots goes into it.

Riplip

WKR
Shooting QAD Exodus (125) and absolutely love them, super sharp and fly perfectly out of my set up. Complete pass through on my elk last year at 40 yards, he want 10 yards and literally fell over. I have tried Slick Trick, Magnus Stingers and Montec, and non of them came close to the QAD.

I'm anal as it gets about my broadheads. I've shot ST 100 grain magnums for years. I probably have over 50 new and used heads in my possession and killed a ton of animals with them. With that said I've been using the Ironwill 100's since late winter. I've done a wide array of testing on them. Spin, flight, penetration, noise, and more. These heads are extremely well built, with craftsmanship second to none I've every seen. I have a background in the technical machining field and these guys have the process figured out.

I've been shooting these to 70 yards and they fly great. In the very near future I'll have them to 120 yards.

I booked a cancellation bear hunt a week ago, for Manitoba over Memorial week-end. You'll see the action on a semi-live hunt, and hopefully you will see these heads through a few bears.

Any pics of those IronWill heads? I've been wanting to try them

I don't have an "elk" only head. All of the fixed heads I use would be good for any larger game animals.

Mech-Rage Hypo
Fixed-Slick Trick Standards, possibly Ironwill 100's if I can convince my wife to let me buy a half doz. Solid 100 gr with the 1/2" bleeders. VPA 2 and 3 blade heads as well

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
7b036998c5bc13e4beacc0ce6b2f70af.jpg

Some on my Instagram page as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsnider

WKR
7b036998c5bc13e4beacc0ce6b2f70af.jpg

Some on my Instagram page as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im gonna get some for this year. they're from my little mountain town so I mean, I cant not buy them right? they look tough and to be real honest, they are a really cool looking broadhead.