Review: Spot Hogg's Fast Eddie vs. Tommy Hogg, by Les Welch

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders,
not only does Rokslide staff writer Les Welch give us a great rundown on the Spot Hogg sights, Rob and Steve at S&S Archery ponied up a Rokslide discount code to save you $20 off all customs sights during the month of month of May.

So read the review and if you're convinced, use rokslide20 here: Custom Bow Sights from Black Gold, CBE, and Spot Hogg

Review: Spot Hogg's Fast Eddie vs. Tommy Hogg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Dameon

WKR
Good review. I've been using a 5 pin Tommy for several years now and have come to love my Spot Hogg. While the elevation micro-adjust does make a click when pulled back or forth to unlock the yardage wheel, it gets broken in over time and does not make such a definitive click after a while. Mine is now barely audible. The micro-adjust may not make sense from a hunting perspective, but it is spectacular on the 3D course. I use it all the time.

That being said, I just took delivery of my new to me blacked out Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo last week and decided to look at different sights. I went to S&S online and spec'd out a custom MBG Ascent Verdict, custom MBG Pure, custom SH Tommy, and a custom SH Fast Eddie XL all with custom 5 pin heads with the top 3 pins being 0.19 and the bottom two 0.10 in a GGYGG color scheme. After taking note of all the price differences, I weighed all the design specifics and their estimated weights. The MBG Ascent Verdict was by far the lightest, but like the Pure, I really didn't like how far the yardage know stuck out the side of the body of the sight. I've dropped my bow while falling down a muddy hill on the local 3D range and slammed my Tommy hard right on the knob. No damage. If I did the same with the MBG Ascent or Pure, I'm sure that little know would be in pieces. MBG would take care of me I'm sure, but I hate being without my bow. So that left me with another Tommy or the new Fast Eddie XL. The Fast Eddie XL has the bomb proof yardage knob design like the Tommy, but it does not have the elevation micro-adjust. I thought about it, and I recalled that I have never used the micro-adjust in a hunting situation. Also, the Fast Eddie XL was lighter despite having a large dove tail. I liked the idea of a dove tail for getting the sight distance to my peep set up for a perfect sight picture. So I went ahead and ordered it with my custom sight pins and happily put in my Rokslide discount code (I sure wish I new there was a better code last week when I ordered it) and paid the bill.

After paying the bill, I noticed that it was a 4-6 week lead time. WHAT!!!!! I have to wait 4-6 weeks? I literally have my dream bow sitting in my weight room taunting me to shoot it without a sight and I'm like NO.....I need a sight. If I have anything to complain about thus far, it is the wait. I am almost one week into it now. I don't think I can last another 3-5 weeks.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dameon, sounds like our thought processes are very similar! Congrats on both new rigs. Yes, with quality comes a lead time :) It stinks waiting, but it will be worth it. Thanks for leaving your thoughts on your findings. Enjoy your setup!

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks for the review. I was really set on getting a Black Gold Ascent Verdict but you may have steered me to Spot Hogg..

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I was really set on getting a Black Gold Ascent Verdict but you may have steered me to Spot Hogg..

You can't go wrong with either one. Slight subtleties and pro's and con's with both!

Les, thanks for the article. I just got a new Pro Defiant yesterday. I went to Rokslide this morning to start doing some research on sites, and your article was on top. Perfect timing for me. I've shot Spot Hogg on my other bows and really like their product. Looks like I will be moving to the Fast Eddie on this bow, and I need to act fast to get the Rokslide discount!! Thanks guys.

Nateinia

Lil-Rokslider
I have been thinking for going to a spot hogg for the last few weeks and this pushed me over the top. I have one on order. I too have a HHA single pin since most of my hunting is stand hunting in the mid west but wanted a 5 pin system for out west this fall.

Thanks again

Good timing, good article. Thanks Rokslide, Les, and S&S.
I just ordered a Fast Eddie, GGYGG. I can't wait to try it out.

Sodbuster

WKR
Very nice review.Having tested both MBG and SH sights, I have been running the multiple Tommy's for awhile.Personally,it just seemed that the East,West, and 3-D worlds were covered with the Tommy Hogg sight. But, the same features with weight savings make the Fast Eddie worth a try.
Thanks.

Anyone know the weight difference on the Fast Eddie and the Verdict Ascent? I just got my Fast Eddie 3 pin put on my bow the other day, and it is really heavy. Twice as heavy as the HHA I was running. It's weight speaks to its durability, but weight adds up on the mountain.

My Fast Eddie arrived last week. 2 questions as this is the first sight I've set-up on my own.

1. Should I be able to see the entire 3 ring alignment ring at full draw? As installed the riser of my Bowtech Insanity cuts off the right side of the alignment ring.

2. If I want to use the bottom pin as the floater, I'm guessing I need to move the housing up the vertical rail from the factory setting? (Not turning Bull Knob, but actually unbolting and moving sight up). Currently after sighting the bottom floater at 20 and 60 I bottom out around 80 yards. I'm shooting about 304 fps.

My Fast Eddie arrived last week. 2 questions as this is the first sight I've set-up on my own.

1. Should I be able to see the entire 3 ring alignment ring at full draw? As installed the riser of my Bowtech Insanity cuts off the right side of the alignment ring.

2. If I want to use the bottom pin as the floater, I'm guessing I need to move the housing up the vertical rail from the factory setting? (Not turning Bull Knob, but actually unbolting and moving sight up). Currently after sighting the bottom floater at 20 and 60 I bottom out around 80 yards. I'm shooting about 304 fps.

Your question may be a topic for another thread but there are some great videos on the Spot Hogg YouTube channel regarding setup of the multi-pin slider sights.

But to answer your questions:

1. I'm not familiar with the Insanity so this may depend on the interchangeable sight ring diameter you picked as well as the riser design of the Insanity, along with whether your centershot is set correctly.

2. You should probably be able to get more yardage out of the sight at that speed. Much of this is dependent on your peep height from the arrow but sounds like you need to move the housing up on the sight. I like my middle pin (40yard pin) roughly in the middle of my housing so adjust my housing accordingly and then adjust the other pins before I get my tape. I'm shooting 468 grain FMJ's at about 280 fps and get 110 yards with my 5-pin Tommy Hogg before my fletching makes contact with the housing.

Thanks. I played around with it more this afternoon. I moved the rack and decided I liked my middle yellow pin as my rover. I can adjust it from less than 15 to over 100 now. Good enough for me!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know the weight difference on the Fast Eddie and the Verdict Ascent? I just got my Fast Eddie 3 pin put on my bow the other day, and it is really heavy. Twice as heavy as the HHA I was running. It's weight speaks to its durability, but weight adds up on the mountain.

I agree, that the weight is definitely a fair amount heavier. People say they count ounces....I count grams. Literally everything I pack is on a spreadsheet in grams. I won't pack or unpack anything critical because of weight. I would go Fast Eddie here hands down....and I've run the MBG Verdict in the mountain, I don't care about this weight difference.