1-arrow cold bow 7-day challenge, sponsored by Black Ovis

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Robby. This will be a good opportunity to see where I stand with my ability. I should also find out if my shoulders will hold out.

Rope14u

Lil-Rokslider
I'll play. 2008 Diamond Black Ice set at 62 lbs, qad ultra rest, 400 fmj arrows. Max range is 60 although I've never shot a critter past 30. Day 1 75 and sunny. Left to right wind at 10. Outside dots are 8" apart.
134f7b0bcfefc22c7b785bdfa9bd4ece.jpg

Well I guess if we're playing horse I'm out. 60 yards in the pouring rain 20 mph wind from 2 o'clock. I called it low and right. 4 3/4 off of center. Still in the vitals but not ideal. Also a shot I would never attempt in the field. But that's why we practice!
13a342f9d0729dd3d4d36a5074e92a64.jpg

Day 3 after several days off due to being out of town. I think I overestimated my max range by about 20 yards.
8018443f0d5eab31aeab43a13e50557a.jpg

Day 4. Alright it's getting downright embarrassing to even post these. This challenge has shown me my max range USED to be 60. But after a couple of years of a very busy life and not shooting much maybe it's now 20. It is what it is and here it is.

28d9cc0362005eb325b7b94d7bbdaca3.jpg

Day 5. I'll be glad when this is over. I've got some practice to do. No excuses today. Perfect weather and no wind.
c69286b253a82a50be472d530b8ffd7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm in! Just gonna wait for some better weather before I start. Haha just kidding, but it seems the wind doesn't stop blowing here until July! Frustrating!
Hopefully I can get my wife to join in, as she should be drawing a L/E archery elk tag this year. I've been watching the bank account like a hawk this week.

Ok, here it is. I'm shooting a PRIME Rival with a 30"DL around 65 lbs., pierce platinum 300s at about 470gn. I thought my Max range was 70 yards but may get a reality check with this challenge.
My wife is shooting a Hoyt charger, I think 24.5 or 25" DL at about 40 lbs. I can't remember what her arrows weigh but they are falcon 500s. She'll be shooting 40 yards.
Now to be fair, she has only shot on 2 different occasions since she killed her buck in September 2015. She had a pretty rough pregnancy March-November last year, and has been busy with the baby since. Hoping to get her A LOT of range time the next 3 months. (As for myself, I don't have an excuse just a less than desirable shot)
The hexagons on a matrix target is 7" flat to flat and 9" point to point. I put a yellow dot on point of impact because you couldn't see it otherwise.
We are aiming at the center white dot, so she is 4.5" from center and I'm not much better.
Don't know the temp, and the wind was surprisingly calm tonight.
93a4532e854eb002e9e4de6f8fc291e2.jpg

Day 2...
I told my wife I'd watch the baby while she went and took her shot. It's 40 degrees and didn't want to bundle him up for a couple minutes of shooting. She doesn't seem to be too into the challenge, she hurried out and back in.
I went out for my turn and when I seen her arrow I was a little disappointed. I thought about letting her quit the challenge. I walked back to 70 and turned around, the setting sun shining right in my eyes. I thought about waiting for a while until it was down but decided to go ahead and take the shot.
I couldn't see where I hit until I was about 20 yards from the target, and when I seen it I thought to myself, I'm not posting this! This isn't a good representation of how I shoot...or is it?
So, because I guess because I don't really care, here is another day of terrible shooting on my part.
122f2f7e6d6df25187b0926251999e3d.jpg

Day 3...
Leaving lots of room for improvement here! I'll I can say is im starting to look forward to day 8. Haha. No sun in the eyes tonight, just gusting winds.
adc9a0e8a937f755ecdecca9d9f0b672.jpg

On what should be a brighter note, those bank charges finally came through and it's looking like my wife is going to be hunting big bulls this fall! Although, as this post indicates, there is a lot of work to be done!

Day 4...
Since the first three days were less than stellar I decided to change it up a bit and shot in the morning with the sun at my back. Either it helped or I got lucky but the shot did feel great. But I know 1 good one doesn't cancel 3 bad ones either. I decided to leave my arrow in the target until my wife got home from work to take her shot so I'd only have to post one pic. I still don't know what is going on with her and it's pretty hard to tell with one arrow a day. Could just be out of practice or could be her bow but after the challenge we are going to figure it out if not before then.
50502b8ac3ab15620281a039436495ca.jpg

Day 5...
Beautiful weather today, just barely breezy but much warmer. I took my shot around 3 in the afternoon and my wife waited until around 8p.m. She finally made an excellent shot and I'm back out in the fringe!
690a98e31d91b97224258c8bfec559cf.jpg

Day 6....
Went to my moms for Sunday dinner and decided to shoot there for a change of scenery. Kieshla pulled her shot and called it immediately. I was standing in the sprinkler and waiting for it to go around between aiming.
f30aeb9f180d718d0a0621de0fa2665d.jpg

I think I am going to do this challenge again around the first of august. If things haven't drastically improved I definitely won't be taking any 70 yard shots during season.
Truthfully my shooting in this challenge doesn't surprise me too much as we don't start practicing heavy until around Memorial Day.
Day 7....
Today was my wife's birthday, so we had a little party. The last of the guests left around 8:30. My wife plopped down on the couch and I asked if she was going to take her last shot today. She responded with a dirty look but after a few seconds she stood up and went and got her bow. In hindsight we should have waited a day to finish but it is what it is.
eba795a47ce117eeffbf14332f66084f.jpg

Looking forward to using this as inspiration to get better by august....a lot better.

Last edited:
Just under 70, longest shot permissible in my yard

60 degree day, 11 mph winds from 2 o'clock blowing to 8 ( diagonal cross wind)

Pse full throttle
70 lbs, 28.5", 490 gr black eagle deep impact 16 %foc, Cbe 5 pin slider sight, Qad rest, B stinger stab and back bar,

First shot high, but left and right good
454b86d331d42ec0364813aa9906d198.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Here is day 2
No wind, i waited till the snow stopped lol
Perfect day and I drifted right
Doohhhh
41bdd45cd3d977594ec5b4ba2403735b.jpg

Day 3
Wind howling, 30 mph head wind, with a cross wind from 10:00 to 4:00
I tried to compensate like I would in the mountain
I decided to kneel down on this shot as well- as the wind was just blowing me all around- honestly, I wouldn't have taken the shot if it was for real, at this distance any way with the wind and gusts, it was brutal.
High right
9d3bb9a2d3d29af6ccf2fff01458532b.jpg

Day 4
Mild breeze but very cold
Decided to go out early In morning while cold and not total awake, as in an early morning hunt
Rainy but not too bad
This was probably the most like a real day so far
1827ecc00ac900b58abccdf7472329c7.jpg

Day 5
Temos in 50's
15 mph breeze from behind me mostly
8ebe3d09b2de5a523efe4df530b797f8.jpg

Day 6
Moderate breeze 70 degrees
Beautiful day
I have decided I am a great shot at hitting
dbf0976e061ff08631034d13968b9d9e.jpg
the perimeter of the block insert, I just suck ay hitting the middle of it
Lol
One day left, can't wait, I have arrows to shoot

Day 7,
In keeping with tradition I once Again shot the perimeter
Lol
Officially done

6f10222a79a5a73b50f98d8435aa4589.jpg

Last edited:
I just posted my day 2 results. They're up on page one. Kept my effective yardage the same, but tried to change up the "hunting scenario" ;).

8CMCkWl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just posted my day 2 results. They're up on page one. Kept my effective yardage the same, but tried to change up the "hunting scenario" ;).

I saw that! Two in the vitals!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I decided to go ahead and keep shooting this since I haven't done any other shooting yet, and it is graduation week so might be too busy to do any other shooting besides one arrow. I just wish I could get more distance at home. Besides "under 40", 50 has to be my least favorite distance to shoot. Don't know why, but I've never liked 50 very much.

Hey Robby, I recommend that you give the gift certificate to Felix......so he can get a new target.;)

Last edited:

sveltri

WKR
Day 1 cold bow.jpg

Day 1 completely blew the shot, arrow in the dirt to the left of the target. Sorry about the second shot, I couldn't go to my fluorescent dungeon with that weighing on me all morning.

56# Chastain Spike 3
22 paces

IMG_2891.jpg

Day 2 kneeling 22 paces, had to get it in between the rain showers. Far more control and conscious effort today paid off.

Day 3.jpg

Day 3 Whatever focus and control I had yesterday went out the window this morning, I was trying to just get my shot in before I had to leave for work. Shot at about 30 paces, longest distance allowed in my back yard.

Day 4 was my final day of the challenge, we had a 3-D shoot at our local range and I couldn't resist. Thanks for the challenge Robby.

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
I decided to go ahead and keep shooting this since I haven't done any other shooting yet, and it is graduation week so might be too busy to do any other shooting besides one arrow. I just wish I could get more distance at home. Besides "under 40", 50 has to be my least favorite distance to shoot. Don't know why, but I've never liked 50 very much.

Hey Robby, I recommend that you give the gift certificate to Felix......so he can get a new target.;)

The one I have has at least two more years left in it!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Since the wind is howling and I'm antsy to get that one shot for the day, instead I cleaned up the thread so it would be easier to follow (some quotes, jabbing, etc). I don't think I took out anything necessary so if you're post disappeared, we ain't mad at you! Keep it coming people. This thread is making me want to shoot!!!!

Last edited:

mlob1one

WKR
Love the challenge and thanks for the idea. Lifelong hunter but only second season with the bow. Will hunt elk and muleys with the bow this year.
Matthews Z7Xtreme 28" 70#. QAD Matthews ultra rest, 5 pin slider from black gold ascent (customized w/micro adjust) and 5 arrow Tight Spot quiver.
GT kinetic pierce 340 @ 295 gr. Shoots 278fps.
My current MEY is 45 yards for mule deer and 55 for elk.
Today 38 degrees 45 yards and wind coming in 15-20mph at about 290 degrees with a bit of swirling and light snowfall. Wind pushed arm and bow more than the arrow to 7" right of center. Just started shooting again two days ago so this should be interesting.

bcdbccf5fc0ae4473d58c1b3197a248e.jpg

Day 2.
41°F, 7mph wind coming in at 115°. Shot placement low and right by 3.5" @45 yards is on me. I did spend more time visualizing the shot before I took it since I only get one.
10ad820c3f8d042bb684b975f7f65856.jpg

Day 3.
46° no wind. Shot placement 1.5" down and to the left. Took this shot after 40 quick pushups and three big slow deep breaths. Very pleased with today's effort. I also decided to shoot the same arrow for all seven days to eliminate a possible variable. (Though I had tuned them all last Fall, I wanted to be consistent.)
717a5679a1e329dce71c14a136af5503.jpg

Day 4. 56° Sunny and no wind. Came in 2" high and a touch left. Had to reset my shot as the dog ran in front of the target.
7f1d06c02a13b0f0483bc774d7cda9e3.jpg

Day 5. 52° wind gusting 12-20+ mph coming in @ 60°. Shot placed just over 4" right. Probably least happy with this shot because I felt I was impatient with the wind and it gusted one second before I released and then over corrected. The temptation to reshoot today is strong because I don't want almost 24 hours before loosing another arrow. Ugh. Frustrating. Feels too much like hunting which is what we're going for...

7818b3ba54e41a7454c3a8d7eaafd389.jpg

Day 6. 63° Sunny and 9mph wind coming in at 270°. Barely over 1" outside center of center. Felt solid about today's shot. Lots of visualization prior and took shot just after my morning workout with elevated heart rate and arms full of blood.
db2ce50c6f5f125e4d07bf7e5ba6f088.jpg

Day 7. 80° with no wind and no excuses for the 4.5" left. I got excited and didn't breathe.
056424f6570e0bdde922ce5424e64989.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The one I have has at least two more years left in it!

That looks like an old rotted Rinehart 18-1. Mine only lasted a few months and literally fell open one day with a hollow core inside. But in their defense.......all I shot at it was large fixed BH's constantly during that time.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
OK I am game, will start after I get back from a blitz trip to the bears... at least we hope the bears will be there.

I will be using a strugglestick. :)

Frans

Day 3 is in the books. Just updated my page one post. For today's challenge I tried a "cold body", sun in the face shot. Shot first thing in the morning. I blame the miss on not having my morning coffee. :rolleyes:

The sun rising above my backstop.

VAHRz36.jpg

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Day 3 is in the books. For today's challenge I tried a "cold body" sun in the face shot. Shot first thing in the morning. I blame the miss on not having my mooring coffee. :roll eyes:

The sun rising above my backstop.

But that is what this is all about, as hunting never gives us a flat place to shoot from, with a warm up, and the sun at our backs, or a do-over if needed... Thanks for posting that. Respect!

OK, I edited your day#2 into #1 but I'm not able to delete your double posts from the computer I'm on. You can delete those. What I think you're doing is clicking "reply with quote" instead of "edit post". Gotta hit "edit post" then put the next photo in for that day.

I did it from my phone rather than my PC. On the phone I didn't see a clear selection of what to do.
On the PC its easy- phone not so much- Ill figure it out sorry again brother

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I did it from my phone rather than my PC. On the phone I didn't see a clear selection of what to do.
On the PC its easy- phone not so much- Ill figure it out sorry again brother

If you're in Tapa talk, press your post and a window should open that gives you an edit post button.

DWinVA

WKR
Another Recurve....

I'll play from my backyard here in VA.

For 43 archery kills (compound, crossbow and stickbow) my average shot distance is 16 yards. I consider 20 yards my maximum range with my recurve. I shoot instinctive.....focusing on the spot I want to hit on the target with no focus on the arrow point.

1998 60" Pittsley Predator Recurve
47 lbs. at my 28" draw length
Black Eagle Rampage arrows with SS in/outserts + brass HIT inserts w/ 150 grain points.
Total arrow weight is just over 500 grains.
I shoot 3-under with a Safari Tab.

IMG_4242-1.jpg

Day 1
Record heat here today with SSW winds 10-12 mph.
Ring finger on my shooting hand is split open from work & gardening.
IMG_4241-1.jpg

Day 2. A little cooler today and even more wind. T-storms are just to the South of us. My finger is improving but this shot still smarted.
IMG_4256.jpg

Day 3. Beautiful sunny Friday evening here in VA. No wind to speak of.
IMG_4261.jpg

Day 4. Sunday, 58 degrees, very breezy with a light mist of rain. Will finish the challenge shooting a broad head.
IMG_4273.jpg
Day 5 is in the books but no arrow in the target. UGH! No wind, cloudy and mid 60s.
View attachment 51551
Day 6. Mid 50s with heavy rain. Put on my First Lite Vapor and made the shot.
attachment.php

Day 7. Another day like yesterday, mid 50s with heavy rain. Put on my First Lite Vapor again and made the shot. Since I went to the 3-d shoot Saturday I'm going to try and keep this up until this Saturday to get 7 consecutive days.

God Bless!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
1st arrow cold bow 7-day challenge, sponsored by Black Ovis

DWinVA. Great to have you in the challenge. Can't have too many trad hunters.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
My contributions, shooting a 47# RD longbow made by Stalker Stickbows. I shoot a 558 gs arrow.
I am still figuring out what my maximum is, I am hoping I can get good enough to be proficient up to 30 yards, from all angles positions and conditions.

Day 1: This is from around 32 yards. Overcast, slight wind from the right.

Day 2: Quartering away goat (about 30 degrees), slightly downhill, no wind of any significance, 31.5 yards, from two knees.

Day 3: This was 35.2 yards line of sight, 31.7 angular, so about 25o downhill. I was too tentative with everything, should have let down and tried again. Forced the shot and here is the result. Given where I aimed, I am not even too far off, I just aimed too much centre of mass instead of picking a spot tight on the shoulder.

Day 4: 27 yards line of sight (ran out of room on this slope), 38o downhill. Footing was awkward, on a thick, shifty bed of moss, but I pulled it off somehow. A little high, but OK given the steep downward angle. I will want to practice shots like this a LOT more before the hunt.

Day 5: Steep angles are killing me.
It pains me to have to post this. 33 and half yards, 35o uphill, poor footing again. Line was good for the back of the lungs, just dropped low. I figured out what I did wrong during a few practice draws. Nose slipped under the feather due to the weird body angle, instead of on top, changing the 'site image'. Long up- and downhill shots will be on the menu the coming months.
(*admin edited photos in, might not appear in order)
Day 6: Threading the needle
Distance 28 yards, fairly strong gusty wind from the right. I figured I had a small window through which to thread an arrow. It worked but the wind did me no favours. A mountain goat's shoulder bones sit far forward, but this shot sits right in the tough shoulder tissue. Not ideal.

Day 7: Humble pie
This was supposed to be the grand finale, and the weather showed up just in time to make it epic: big winds, rain, wet snow. I was gonna drill one right into the heart from 33 yards or so regardless of conditions. What you see here is the result of arrow no. 2. I am still looking for arrow no. 1.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 41