1-arrow cold bow 7-day challenge, sponsored by Black Ovis

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought you could only shoot a single arrow every day during the 7 day challenge?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you could only shoot a single arrow every day during the 7 day challenge?

Yes, if they want to be eligible
for the BO drawing, but some people are just shooting the challenge for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drawing a Vernon deer tag really gets me excited to get shooting. I'll start the challenge when I get home Monday. We have some impressive shooters on rokslide

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody seen 5 miles? He was killing it but no day 5 yet.

I'm struggling with finishing the challenge personally..
I drew an archery LE elk tag in Utah and have Just finished building new arrows with even higher FOC, and I'm dieing to try them out
Lol
These are what I'm gonna use for the elk

Butt I'm committed to the challenge as it is revealing somethings to me I always knew but ignored

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm struggling with finishing the challenge personally..
I drew an archery LE elk tag in Utah and have Just finished building new arrows with even higher FOC, and I'm dieing to try them out
Lol
These are what I'm gonna use for the elk

Butt I'm committed to the challenge as it is revealing somethings to me I always knew but ignored

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Congrats! And good luck! I know my wife is in the same boat. Our annual Memorial Weekend camping trip is sure to have a few hundred arrows sent downrange.

bhylton

WKR
Day three is up. Day two was a cold shot with no warm up or anything. Today I had been moving around a bit and was loosened up. Going to try morning shots from here out but with some stretching and push-ups ect. To warm up. Figure I will be warmed up when I'm up on the mountain. Good shooting everyone!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I get your point 5MB. But even on the years where I fired a couple of thousand arrows, I still miss shots on the mountain

That's because a couple of thousand arrows is barely a warmup for hunting season.;)

Day 5 is up, wasn't near the computer after shooting it. And my flip phone doesn't do the internet thing.:cool:

Jimbob

WKR
Day 3 is up for me. I really like the challenge because it does add a mental aspect to it like you have said Robby. The first and only shot has a bunch of pressure on it because I know I have to post a pic for everyone to see. Also the shadows and light and dark spots on my target are messing with me, its hard to put the pin in the exact right spot, especially from 70 yds. Overall great practice, except I hate only taking one shot a day.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Day 4 is up, an awkward steep downhill shot. This is an area that I will practice on a lot more. Poor footing, branches to dodge, etc. Like real hunting. ;-)

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Here we go.

My setup is a Striker Classic R/D longbow. #50@28" 60". I'm shooting an Axis 400, footed, with a 200 gr Cutthroat up front. I've got four 3" feathers at 90 degrees in the back. Total arrow weight is 522 gr.

929ee9a67fbb9cef75b7c998bbbc88a8.jpg

ab3ae562000ce227489a498471ce3a92.jpg

I've put my MER at 27 yards.

Day #1 : 70 degrees, overcast, wind out of the south at 12 mph.

e7fcde752884ce486fdb49bd5bc80d31.jpg

Day #2 : 67 degrees, sunny, wind out of the west at 15 mph.

82b79c1c1e6dd9175d820802b12d395a.jpg

Last edited:
Here we go.

My setup is a Striker Classic R/D longbow. #50@28" 60". I'm shooting an Axis 400, footed, with a 200 gr Cutthroat up front. I've got four 3" feathers at 90 degrees in the back. Total arrow weight is 522 gr.

I've put my MER at 27 yards.

Day #1 : 70 degrees, overcast, wind out of the south at 12 mph.

Sweet set up! Nice shooting!

bhylton

WKR
Day 4 is up. Shot felt great and it flew well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Day six is up. I chased around turkeys all day hoping I had a reason to say I had to shoot a second arrow but the birds are not cooperating.
Might try a video for the final day tomorrow.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Day six is up. I chased around turkeys all day hoping I had a reason to say I had to shoot a second arrow but the birds are not cooperating.
Might try a video for the final day tomorrow.

I vote for video!

Day 6 results and thoughts posted on page one.
Elevated shot at our local 3D range. It's open on the weekends and only five minutes from my house. I learned something very valuable from the six cold shots.
Thank you Robby!!!

Wf3J2VU.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sanpei, that's a dead bear. Good shooting and happy to hear you're learning something from this. It's why I wanted to do the challenge. I've practiced cold shots for years and they are different than heading to the range to shoot 50 arrows. Both are needed but knowing how I perform the first shot is what seems to matter the most.

Nateinia

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for throwing this out there. Ive actually have been trying to shoot 10 yards farther than I feel comfortable hunting and its been a learning experience for sure. Im currently working on building some cabinets at home so I will shoot one first thing in the morning and then a couple of one or two shots thru out the day. Time to do some tuning for some better consistency.