1-arrow cold bow 7-day challenge, sponsored by Black Ovis

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I will shoot one first thing in the morning and then a couple of one or two shots thru out the day. Time to do some tuning for some better consistency.

Welcome! Just make sure if you want to be entered for the Black Ovis Gift certificate just shoot one arrow a day for the seven days

Also, what if people can't shoot all 7 days in a row? Per the rules, that's no problem, you don't have to shoot seven days in a row you just can't practice between days so if you need to miss a say, no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've practiced cold shots for years and they are different than heading to the range to shoot 50 arrows. Both are needed but knowing how I perform the first shot is what seems to matter the most.

Agreed! I also practice cold shots, but never like this before. Good stuff!

Last day tomorrow...

Felix40

WKR
Last day is up for me. Glad to be done. I dont especially enjoy shooting this bow but it was good for me. I think Ive maxed out the capabilities of my equipment. Maybe at some point I will add more/smaller pins or just get a new sight. I think I will do the challenge with the recurve now too. I dont want another entry or anything. Its just fun.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Last day is up for me. Glad to be done. I dont especially enjoy shooting this bow but it was good for me. I think Ive maxed out the capabilities of my equipment. Maybe at some point I will add more/smaller pins or just get a new sight. I think I will do the challenge with the recurve now too. I dont want another entry or anything. Its just fun.

Good job Felix, you're our first qualified entry. If drawing was today, you'd have 100% odds. Yeah feel free to throw up a post on your recurve, would love to see it

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just watched it Tony, incredible shooting this week. My hat is off to you.

Here's my last one.

[video=youtube_share;pnxC1Ss2MSI]https://youtu.be/pnxC1Ss2MSI[/video]

Looking forward to seeing what Sanpei pulls out of his hat today...

Last edited:

Jimbob

WKR
Good shooting everybody. Tony, 100 yds is no joke, it seems like you have it dialled in pretty good. Have you used that quiver hunting? I am right to assume you don't find it awkward or bulky in the woods?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
It's the Option Archery Quivalizer and I used it all last season. AZ elk and deer, WY elk and deer, MT elk and deer, KS and MI deer. All in all over 90 days hunting and was one of my favorite NEW products for 2016. All my hunts were spot and stalk minus the MI deer and it never got in the way. If you were in thick brush you can put it on the side of the bow like a traditional quiver.

Good shooting everybody. Tony, 100 yds is no joke, it seems like you have it dialled in pretty good. Have you used that quiver hunting? I am right to assume you don't find it awkward or bulky in the woods?

Last edited:

bhylton

WKR
Day 5 is up. wish i had a foam target to shoot broadheads. It would be telling if my setup was tuned for the form, draw length, release ect. that actually occurs on a cold shot vs a longer shooting session. good shooting everyone.

Jimbob

WKR
I am convinced that functionally it works but it just seems awkward to me. I trust your assessment though and it makes me kinda want to try it.

It's the Option Archery Quivalizer and I used it all last season. AZ elk and deer, WY elk and deer, MT elk and deer, KS and MI deer. All in all over 90 days hunting and was one of my favorite NEW products for 2016. All my hunts were spot and stalk minus the MI deer and it never got in the way. If you were in thick brush you can put it on the side of the bow like a traditional quiver.

This challenge has been great for me and I appreciate you bringing up this idea for all of us Robby

I can't wait for it to be over tomorrow and I can get back two shooting groups the reason is I have to end my day no matter what shot I took, good or bad and I never like that, but hey that's what hunting is you get one shot and you have to live with it to the next opportunity

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
It depends on how you hunt I suppose. I hunt with an arrow knocked almost ALL the time so for me, the quivalizer is no more in the way than what I am accustomed to. If I am in a tree stand (doesn't happen often), a ground blind or brush thick enough that I can't get a shot off, I mount it on the side of the bow.

I am convinced that functionally it works but it just seems awkward to me. I trust your assessment though and it makes me kinda want to try it.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Holy crap Tony, did you punch all those tags?!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Nope, the AZ tags will haunt me. I saw bucks that would make Robby Denning and Jason Carter get weak in the knees. I held out for the giants I found and never was able to seal the deal. AZ elk was much the same, I passed 20+ bulls bigger than the bull I had just shot one week earlier in WY because I had seen giants. You can't kill monster size animals if you kill the first good buck you find and I knew the AZ tags won't come often.

Holy crap Tony, did you punch all those tags?!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

For day 7, we were already scheduled to hunt. In my dreams, I was going to shoot a goat or pig at 25 yards with my cold bow. :rolleyes:
In actuality, it was my wife's day to hunt, so no matter what, I was going to give her all the opportunities. Originally I thought that I was going to shoot at a stump or leaf with a SGT point, a common practice that gives you a few warms up shots while hunting. But while hiking, I thought to myself that I was going "all in" on the last day. I decided to tie some marking ribbon on my water bottle and figured that it would give the best effect for video. I marked the water bottle with my rangefinder and gave my phone to my wife. Here's the results...

[video=youtube_share;sG7qfn4--ac]https://youtu.be/sG7qfn4--ac[/video]

Last edited:
You set a high bar

There were many great shots in this cold bow challenge. My intent was to challenge myself in hopes that it would somehow help my hunting. Just thankful that I was allowed to participate. It was an awesome learning experience for me and I'm already going to work on a couple things starting tomorrow.

Thank you!
Ryan

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great shot and way to finish the Challenge Ryan K. What did you learn that you need to work in?

I learned that I need to mix it up (shooting positions, etc) to really mimic hunting and that only being able to shoot once leaves you wanting.

Great shot and way to finish the Challenge Ryan K. What did you learn that you need to work in?

I learned that I need to mix it up (shooting positions, etc) to really mimic hunting and that only being able to shoot once leaves you wanting.

Thank you Robby! It's been a fun seven days!

I learned many things, but I think my biggest take away would be that I need to take my cold bow shot more seriously. I've always practiced it, but I think I'll incorporate it into my training at least once or twice a week at different yardages. I'll also start to document it and work towards having a longer effective yardage.

Aloha!
Sanpei