1-arrow cold bow 7-day challenge, sponsored by Black Ovis

D_Eightch

WKR
-Recap of the 7 Day Challenge-
I really like the idea of this, and realize that 50 yards may be a little beyond my true max effective range!

I will start each shooting session off with 1 shot at my max yardage going forward. The idea of making that first shot count is something I have always done, but generally i start sessions off at 20 or 30 yards depending on how I am feeling. Starting off at that 50-60 yard mark will be huge in gaining confidence or reality checks come hunting season.

Thanks for putting this on! That was great, now I am going to go tear up that target that I was only able to punch 7 times in the last week!!

Randle

WKR
20170611_185831.jpgWow that was harder than I thought. I wanted to shoot more every night, but I stuck with it.
This was alot of fun just to see what each cold bow shot would be. 50 seems to be a max range that I need to work on now TThat I have 5 acres I will be working to extend it for practice sessions. Thanks for the challenge. I just had to shoot 3 arrows at 50 to see where I finished View attachment 52354

copedog

FNG
Starting a little late, but I'm in on this challenge. I added a quivalizer to my rig the first of June and had to get some practice in before starting. I have never shot with a long stabilizer so I had to get comfortable.

Equipment

Prime Rize - 27.5 DL ~65lbs
Gold Tip Kenetic Kaos 480gr - 267fps
Hamskea Hunter Pro Micro
Custom Black Gold Ascent 5 pin
Quivalizer
Stan Element release

I'll be shooting 60 yards at a Rinehart Rinoblock. I'll be shooting some with the quivalizer in quiver mode, some with it extended.

All done, non-consecutive, but I did not shoot at all except for these shots.

No bucket hole counting please. :cool:

First - June 7 Quivalizer extended - not much wind.
08f46135887667bff1bd650df80851bc.jpg

Second - June 8 Quivalizer in quiver mode - quartering front left wind 10ish
6e03e5214f2e2a8de2feb9f10cff874f.jpg

Third - June 10 Extended - calm again.
ff3fd6d34e3a27ad7c81a4c2eadc5957.jpg

Fourth - June 11 Quiver Mode - Quartering behind left wind 5-10ish
fabadc0d654cbbd7b4c9589e9264bc3d.jpg

Fifth - June 13 Quiver Mode - Behind gusty wind 10-15
d08f35ca655cf756b3ebcd3453ad0cfd.jpg

Sixth - June 14 Extended - Straight behind hot gusty wind 0-10
c63ff01163097b6c8208ce05f512e131.jpg

Seventh - June 15 Extended - hot wind behind again 5-10
5de35d7cb04a91206ae6edc133cd9b41.jpg

Conclusion:
Not too bad. Kept it in the insert, barely. Quivalizer in extended mode didn't effect POI like it did when I first put it on. I was shooting low right, but I think it was mental. I wasn't focusing on my anchor/form. I was distracted by the long stabilizer slowing down my float and I was peeking as well. Anyway, I like the quivalizer and will keep practicing in both modes.

Thanks Robby for putting this on.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I see some mornpeople have qualified. I'll clean up the thread and post up the list of qualified participants in next few days. Love watching this and reading the feedback and what people are learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, here is the updated list. Sorry for those who can't get all 7 photos in one post. Wish I had more time to fix them like I started off doing.

This is who I have as qualified for the challenge so far. If you're not on this list and have followed the rules, let me know and I'll update it. If you shouldn't be on this list, let me know.

Felix40
Ryan K. Sanpei
UtahJimmy
KHNC
Broken Compass (and an extra entry for your wife, tell her good job btw, that's not easy with a baby!)
frans
mflood3800
mlob1one
mapkoe (great video!)
D_Eightch
Kylen
It'sTyrtruion
TheJuice (great video!)
jquarnberg
Frosty82
Randle
DWinVA

Tony Trietch finished (strong!) but is on staff so not eligible to win.

Last day to start challenge is June 24 to have all 7 arrows fired and posted by June 30 to win the Black Ovis $100

Last edited:

DWinVA

WKR
Robby-

I think I qualified. It took me 10 days to do it since I had to start over after attending a 3-D shoot. Thanks.

God Bless.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby-

I think I qualified. It took me 10 days to do it since I had to start over after attending a 3-D shoot. Thanks.

God Bless.

DWinVA. OK, To be clear, after your 3D shoot, you shot only 1 arrow per day in 7 days (The days don't have to be consecutive, but you can't shoot any other arrows in that time frame)?

DWinVA

WKR
Robby-

Yep, that's what I did. They were consecutive days and even in the rain. Thanks.

God Bless.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
We started, but will have to restart on Monday due to a weekend bowfishing trip.

Already learned plenty.

My wife and I will both shoot. Me at 50, her at 30.

Sam01

FNG
This is a great idea. I usually start shooting again around May but this is actually the first shot I have taken since November.
I am going with 60 yards as I think that is the furthest I would shoot at an animal.
I am shooting a Bowtech Guardian at 75 lbs with 31" Maxima Hunters, a QAD rest, and a Right On Spot Hogg sight. Release is a Scott Mongoose XT.

Day 1 60 yds no wind about 80 degrees. I held a touch high. 8:42 pm.
3259fed3c325f3765986c28d7f1c06e3.jpg

Day 2 60 yds slight breeze quartering left to right from behind. Held right on. 3:47 pm.

fd0c14809e37c31291e60486e414b906.jpg

Day 3 60 yds slight breeze right to left. Pulled the shot a little high. 6:50 pm.
31b5131d5123bb28fd4e4a3c8401e448.jpg

Day 4 no wind. 80 degrees 8:00 pm. Called it high. Think I was focused on not sending it into the dirt. I'm going back to shooting the deer target tomorrow.
86b7e572b85a5b8e70ef9db18ae725b2.jpg

Day 5 light breeze quartering from my back right to left at 7:50 am.
f3eff8dd0f41b9ec3a57ed95323d78aa.jpg

Day 6 gusty wind right to left. 6:30 pm.
dbd56c9d2210cfadee57bd4810764a1d.jpg

Last edited:

stonewall

WKR
I was intending to do this challenge with my compound, but it is still in the shop. So, I'll be using my recurve.

I'm using a 35# (at 28) Samick Polaris (39# at my draw) - i'm just getting started in the traditional realm, so it's a starter bow. Gold Tip 400 arrows (too stiff actually - need to go to 500s) with 200 grains up front. 547 total weight. bateman 3 under tab.

Day 1, 23 yards, no wind, clear day, hot outside

Day 2, no wind, clear, hot, facing sun (that's my excuse anyway ;) - lol) - tough shot after a good start yesterday...

Day 3, clear day, swirling insignificant breeze. ok, now this is frustrating, absolutely should not be missing at this distance... can't shoot for a few days, will resume when i can...

Day 4, right at dark, 6-26-17, raining. glanced off targets belly, ugh. still 23 yards, finishing what i started...

Day 5, morning, 6-27-17. overcast. at least back on foam i guess...

Day 6, evening, nice day, no serious wind, glanced off the chest this time

Day 7, afternoon, hot, no serious wind

Well this thing didn't turn out well for me at all. I liken it to a playoff series in sports where the underdog team somehow manages to win game one only to get annihilated the rest of the series. At least now I can shoot more to figure out what the issue is. I went with 23 yards bc with the light poundage and heavy arrows, that's point on - no reason to miss. Something is breaking down in my shot evidently. At least I got my compound back recently and can finely start getting dialed in for September. The struggle is real, eh

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
Im going to get in just under the wire with my fun one with the recurve. I finished new arrows and its shooting great. Its a homemade three piece recurve. 59# at 28". Shooting gold tip hunter 400s with 150 grain point. Ill be shooting at 40yds. Probably too far but this is just for fun anyway. Might as well make it tough.

Day 1. 92 degrees and calm.

Day 2. 85 and swirling wind.

Day 3. 80 and calm

Day 4. Hotter than the surface of the sun here.

Day 5. We had a tropical storm come through. Raining and windy. Went ahead and shot in full rain gear but hit pretty far right.

Day 6. Drizzle and calm. 80 degrees

Day 7. Good weather. I just shot high for some reason. I shot a coulple arrows after this and both of them were high too. Still not terrible for that kind of range on an elk. Definitely way too far for a whitetail.

Last edited:

TheCougar

WKR
I went to 60 yards for my challenge. I was pretty happy with how it went. For reference, the target circle is 8" in diameter. I shot early in the morning due to the phoenix heat. Relatively little wind on the days I shot. I'm happy I actually got it in the bullseye on the last shot. I had it surrounded by day 6 and I definitely felt some pressure. I missed a day between arrows 2&3 because of a family reunion and I had to recreate arrow #4 (I think) because I forgot to bring my phone with me shooting that morning.

View attachment 52826

View attachment 52827

View attachment 52828

View attachment 52829

View attachment 52830

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbob

WKR
OK, here is the updated list. Sorry for those who can't get all 7 photos in one post. Wish I had more time to fix them like I started off doing.

This is who I have as qualified for the challenge so far. If you're not on this list and have followed the rules, let me know and I'll update it. If you shouldn't be on this list, let me know.

Felix40
Ryan K. Sanpei
UtahJimmy
KHNC
Broken Compass (and an extra entry for your wife, tell her good job btw, that's not easy with a baby!)
frans
mflood3800
mlob1one
mapkoe (great video!)
D_Eightch
Kylen
It'sTyrtruion
TheJuice (great video!)
jquarnberg
Frosty82
Randle
DWinVA

Tony Trietch finished (strong!) but is on staff so not eligible to win.

Last day to start challenge is June 24 to have all 7 arrows fired and posted by June 30 to win the Black Ovis $100

Hey Robby

I should be on the list. Thanks

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will play for fun and wont pretend to be Robin Hood. Finally getting my new bow dialed in.
Set up:

Matthews Halon Xcomp set at 63 pds this was over twice the price of my Tikka!
HHA single pin slider
Flipper rest
Finger tab
Beman ics carbon arrow

I tend to shoot for 3-4 months each year June through September and have shot fingers for several decades and just like the feel. Shots will all be 35 yds or less. Day 1 21 yds and 5mph cross breeze. Shoot from driveway into garage with slight incline.

day3 zero wind 26 yds

Day 2 24 yds same location and wind

day 4 22 yds slight breeze working on grip consistency with this new bow liking it with fingers with nice flight just getting all the kinks worked out

day 5 24 yds 5 mph wind

day6 25 yds 4 mph wind

Last photobucket sucks....posted with tapatalk 23 yds last dayIMG_0257.JPG

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Remember everybody today is the last day to qualify for the challenge if you want to be in for the Black Ovis get certificate. I see some more of you have qualified I'll update the list this weekend. Thank you, really enjoyed watching all of you