Going from modern to stick/recurve

Beendare

WKR
Good point on the "Missing out"

I was stalking on a big boar hog 2 weeks ago that was hovering around a hot sow. They kept moving. I had him dead to rights at 50 yds a couple times. "If only I was packing my compound" <grin>...but its a whole different mentality with a stickbow.

Almost the same as the rifle guys that switch to bow and have an animals at 150yds thinking, "He would be dead" ....but that when the hunting gets interesting as a bowhunter. As a stickbow guy, stalking is a serious challenge as getting 15-20 yds from any animal that way is tough....but its a rush on a big boar hog that can wreck your day if he really wants to.

So I had a plan to Zig....and the hogs ended up Zagging....and never got a shot. BIG 300# boar too....dayum.

Read1t48

WKR
A good friend of mine is building me a trad bow now. All of the advice that has been given on this thread is exactly what my friend has said. . He has been shooting and hunting exclusively with traditional bows for the last 15 years. It's a journey.
I plan to take my time and practice, practice, practice. I don't intend to give up the compound anytime soon for hunting but the trad will be fun in the backyard. He built it so that I could hunt with it in the future, if I chose to. It certainly isn't the most productive hunting method, but neither are a lot of our methods. We hunt the way we choose to hunt because it's fun, challenging, and fulfilling. You have to be willing to go home with tag soup, and be OK with that, if you're hunting with a trad bow. Goals and perspectives are certainly altered throughout the journey. But I suspect there are rewards along the way that are unique and can only be achieved with the style of hunting. Good luck!

OP
StrutNut

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks - looking for a good used bow in the 45lb range at the moment. I am hoping to try one for a bit before going all in. I think I got a line on a loaner to get up to speed on.

It is a great way to reignite your fire for archery, no doubt but be prepared to experience highs and lows when it come to hunting like never before. I've hunted with some "Big named" traditional hunters and none of them are/were immune to the primative nature of shooting a bow without sights.

I went full circle, killed P&Y and B&C animals with a longbow, but returned to a simple compound and enjoy it.