Broadhead Suggestions

mtnhntr

WKR
Okay, I'm looking for some input from others on the forum. I drew a CO archery bighorn tag, and I really don't want to mess this up. I've booked a great outfitter and am going to have quite a bit invested in this hunt, so I wanted to hear what others have to say.

I've shot a lot of broadheads over the years with fairly good success, but am looking to try something new. I'm going to be set up for a MEY of either 60 or 70 and was thinking of trying out either the Slick Trick Magnums or Wack'Em heads. I'd like to hear about any pros/cons anyone has had with effectiveness at these distances.

Thanks!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've got to tell you.......I used to be a die hard fixed blade guy......and I still do shoot them on occasion. But I've also been using the 125gr Spitfire and last year the 125gr GR Fatal Steel expandable BH's. They've both worked exceptionally well on elk and I will continue to use them. When I draw my sheep tag (hopefully before I'm 80), I'll use them as well. They fly great, and are much more forgiving in the wind and on any contorted shots. But use whatever you're most confident in. When I'm in my elk base camp I do shoot my fixed blades out to 90 yards just for fun, so I do know they'll work as well. And I really like Wac'ems......been shooting those since 2007.

Oh, and congratulations on drawing a sheep tag .......especially as a NR. Go buy a lottery ticket while you're at it.

OP
M

mtnhntr

WKR
I thought about buying one - it was only my 3rd year applying. Most of my hunting partners have been applying for 20+ years without success. But I HAVE to get in shape. I was not prepared to draw this tag this year....

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats!
As a fellow archery sheep (dall) hunter this fall (fistbump emoji), bow/arrow setup has been on the forefront of my mind too.
What I THINK I've landed on, and am in the process of putting together to test is a lightweight, small od carbon shaft with a brass insert, Bohning Impulse vanes and a mechanical broadhead.
I've shot the NAP Killzones with the COC tip quite a bit. They fly well and seem to buck the wind well.
I'm even thinking about going to the low KE with a .25" narrower cut for a bit of extra penetration.

I'm in good shape but working hard on getting my effective range up. I don't think I'll personally go over 50 in real world, steep, shale sheep conditions by this fall, but I'm spending time in the mountains shooting up, down and sideways to get more comfortable. (A perk of having 5,000 foot hills a half mile from my door. :cool:)

Keep us posted!

OP
M

mtnhntr

WKR
Well I tried a couple different heads and landed on the Slick Trick 125gr heads. They've seemed to fly very well so far, and I like the design.

If anyone has any feeeback on issues with them, please let me know!

Thanks!

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
Slick trick magnums fly very well for me and have performed well on everything I've shot with them (whitetail, mule deer, pigs, and elk). I've shot them to 70 yds regularly practicing with great results. Farthest shot on game has only been 35 yds so far. I bought a pack of wac'em 3 blades to try but haven't done it yet. I like the looks of them but haven't been in a hurry because I'm happy with the ST's.

Used Spitfires for years with great results, until the results were not so great. Had 2 bad experiences on mule deer. Went to Slick Tricks and have not looked back.