Backup release

mvmnts

WKR
Got my first bow earlier this year. Using a Scott Freedom XT release. I like it, but it was pretty expensive. I've heard that a lot of folks bring a backup release on their hunts. Should I stick with the same exact release as my backup, or should I experiment with different models or different types?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My back is the same as my primary. You'll want to stay to a pretty similar design so anchor point is exactly the same. Look on some archery sites for a used release people do buy try and change tons in the archery world

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you're new to archery
I would limit the variety of releases and stick to what is working for you

If you like the Scott use it
Nothing wrong with getting another similar release
As long as you are comfortable with it like the Scott

I have 2 releases by 2 different companies, but they work the same so it isn't a big deal

In other words don't have a wrist release and then a back tension as your back up
Get both in a wrist release type
Hope this makes sense

I have 2 wrist releases
And a back tension
But I've been using bows since the 80's

When I hunt I take the wrist releases

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
My back up is the same model as my primary and I shoot both of them all year. I'd recommend staying with the same model, and setting it up so they both feel/shoot the same.

elkguide

WKR
I have a "few" releases but once I settle on what I'm hunting with, I practice with them for the summer and always have a back up exactly like my main release with me.

I keep my Carter thumb release in my pack. Also shoot a Carter Like Mike as my primary. At a minimum you want to practice with both. Ideally you want to make sure your point of impact is the same, or very close. My two releases have the same type head so to speak, so they hit pretty much dead on in the same spot.

Jimbob

WKR
I have a carter 2shot and a quickie. They are both very similar so the anchor point is the same. However the 2 shot has a slightly heavier trigger. I practice with both year round and do not see a poi change. If you really like your primary release then get a back exactly the same but getting a back up is a great time to try something new. Like mentioned above just make sure they are at least the same style (index finger, thumb, etc).

I thought his main concern with the one he currently has was the high price. I assumed he wanted a back up, but didn't really want to dump the $$$ on another one. So I took that to mean the OP was asking what he should do- hence the direction of at the very least get the same style. I shoot a nice finger/wrist rocket at the cost of $90. My back up?
A $15 one from Cabelas. Neither changes my shot placement. Both are the same style of release

I could've been wrong in assuming this was your original thought process in your asking?

If at all possible, Yes get the exact same and set it up the same, if its not possible, get 2 like styles, set up, with same anchor point and practice with both as stated.