Just venting

Bought a new 2016 model Hoyt Defiant 34 with 60-70 limbs recently from a dealer on sale for $800. Was too good of a deal to turn away. Now I'm wishing I would have just held out for an 80# limb model. Would there be a huge difference in performance? Its set at 70# now and I draw it with ease. Not the end of the world but I just wish I would have gone up. Am i kicking myself for nothing?

Last edited:
OP
Hookedonhunting
I've been reading where there's a number of guys on here shooting some really heavy arrows and broad heads. I'm just thinking that the heavier limb would sling that heavier weight with more KE.

mtnhntr

WKR
I've hunted all over the globe for years, and shot bows up to 95# for buffalo and elephant in Africa; and kept the poundage on lightly lighter arrows to shoot several dandy P&Y caribou at 110-115 yards.

My two cents is that 70# is plenty. Basically all you're really losing out on is your MEY. Due to my forrays abroad I've become accustomed to super heavy arrow setups and I've just learned to adapt. As I've noted on here as of late I'm setting up for an Aug bighorn hunt in CO and based on the dozens of arrows I already have set up with my new Mathews my MEY is about 70 and that's filling my sight aperture. Had I been running an 80-90# set up like I had with my last bow (Hoyt) I could have gotten another 25ish yards and zapped them in there nicely. But it's all about comfort and not a big dick contest at this point in the game for me. And this Mathews has been an interesting journey...I'm going back to a Hoyt next year.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
70 is plenty, 80 is mostly for ego. There are some exceptions, but not many.

And for guys coming up a little "short" in other places. Kind of like big lifted trucks that never go off road. Not much that cant be killed very efficiently with a 70# bow and 450-500 grain arrow.

if you can pull 80lb no problem then there is no reason not to shoot 80. I just ordered an 80lb hoyt, I'm also 6'-4" 245lbs. People always act like everyone is of the same build and strength. I don't understand why 70lb is ok but anything over that is taboo.

mtnhntr

WKR
if you can pull 80lb no problem then there is no reason not to shoot 80. I just ordered an 80lb hoyt, I'm also 6'-4" 245lbs. People always act like everyone is of the same build and strength. I don't understand why 70lb is ok but anything over that is taboo.

It's because they don't understand why they need it, and they can't do it ;)

ahlgringo

WKR
I have seen a few posts showing up here that totally remind me of things I see over on AT. Personally I would rather not see them here. Who cares about who can or cant shoot 80lb limbs. Shoot what YOU can effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnhntr

WKR
I have seen a few posts showing up here that totally remind me of things I see over on AT. Personally I would rather not see them here. Who cares about who can or cant shoot 80lb limbs. Shoot what YOU can effectively.

Hit the nail on the head. Unless I have a specific need to shoot poundage I don't. thats why since I don't have the time to travel and hunt I stay with the 60-70# bows. It's sooo comfortable to shoot 60-65# that I really don't like leaving that space. Hell, if I could talk myself into a lighter arrow set-up I'd probably even move down to the 50-60# class.

With today's technology you have more than enough energy to kill anything within reason. Heck a lot of the guys I hunt with in Africa were talking about how low we could go on poundage to get the KE needed to satisfy government requirements for buffalo, lion and elephant. It's just how do you get the KE needed lobbing a massive arrow (800-1000 grains or more). Math can say one thing but it makes you wonder if it's really possible and not many have the balls to try it and screw up an archery kill on one of the big boys.

excaliber

WKR
I agree. I used to Shoot 80 lbs when I was younger with no issues at all. I'm older now and 70 lbs does all I need it to do.

dotman

WKR
I agree. I used to Shoot 80 lbs when I was younger with no issues at all. I'm older now and 70 lbs does all I need it to do.

And 60lbs would as well 😏 No reason not to save the shoulder when today's 60lb bows shoot faster then older 80-90lb bows. Draw weight is ego nothing more, I keep mine at 63lbs and if I was 7' and 300lb super athlete I'd still shoot at 63lbs until the day I die which hopefully will be in my 90's.

Last edited:

DEW0341

WKR
I'm 6'5" 240lbs and not bragging by any means but I could easily pull an #80 pound bow. But I don't. My defiant 34 is set at a plush #68 and I wouldn't change a thing. I still fling a 503 grain arrow at 278fps

OP
Hookedonhunting
So many great responses I'm not sure who to thank first so I'll say thanks to everyone. I certainly do not need to boast or be the flat brim hat guy. But I'm exceptionally fit and could easily draw a 75-80 #er. But now that I see your responses I'm confident that I am just fine where I'm at. I do need to get this bow tuned. I've been using a tech that's not very good to this point. (point of purchase tech). I'm slapping fletchings. Believe I need to raise my rest more, and have even wondered if its worn to the point of needing to be replaced. I never had this problem on my redhead Kryptic. But then again it was not as fast as this bow. But anyhow. That's a problem for another thread. Thanks for the replies. I will admit though, the wall on these limbs is nice. It's very very comfortable and smooth to draw and I can hold in the pocket very comfortably.
Thanks again for the replies, and straight shooting!

OP
Hookedonhunting
I'm 6'5" 240lbs and not bragging by any means but I could easily pull an #80 pound bow. But I don't. My defiant 34 is set at a plush #68 and I wouldn't change a thing. I still fling a 503 grain arrow at 278fps

Nice. What is your draw length?

mtnhntr

WKR
So many great responses I'm not sure who to thank first so I'll say thanks to everyone. I certainly do not need to boast or be the flat brim hat guy. But I'm exceptionally fit and could easily draw a 75-80 #er. But now that I see your responses I'm confident that I am just fine where I'm at. I do need to get this bow tuned. I've been using a tech that's not very good to this point. (point of purchase tech). I'm slapping fletchings. Believe I need to raise my rest more, and have even wondered if its worn to the point of needing to be replaced. I never had this problem on my redhead Kryptic. But then again it was not as fast as this bow. But anyhow. That's a problem for another thread. Thanks for the replies. I will admit though, the wall on these limbs is nice. It's very very comfortable and smooth to draw and I can hold in the pocket very comfortably.
Thanks again for the replies, and straight shooting!

Anybody with any basic understanding of archery and the physics of your weapon CAN and should be able to fully tune your bow yourself. I've worked on all my buddies bows for years but most importantly WITH them. I'm totally self taught, but these aren't complex tools we use to hunt. Read your manual, and get on the phone with the manufacturer if you have any specific questions, I've always found them glad to help. All the new bells and whistles can look intimidating, but you should figure them out in the event something takes a shit 10 miles back on a $30k sheep hunt. I've fixed so much stuff on my bow with a leatherman and a few basic parts. I like to see people working with others to learn.

OP
Hookedonhunting
Anybody with any basic understanding of archery and the physics of your weapon CAN and should be able to fully tune your bow yourself. I've worked on all my buddies bows for years but most importantly WITH them. I'm totally self taught, but these aren't complex tools we use to hunt. Read your manual, and get on the phone with the manufacturer if you have any specific questions, I've always found them glad to help. All the new bells and whistles can look intimidating, but you should figure them out in the event something takes a shit 10 miles back on a $30k sheep hunt. I've fixed so much stuff on my bow with a leatherman and a few basic parts. I like to see people working with others to learn.

I can appreciate that, and agree I need to learn more about how to tune and work on my bow. I'm sure the skill would serve me well. I've done some adjustments but definitely not too much. Will continue to work on it some, but will also take it another pro to help me out. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

OP
Hookedonhunting
Wish I could figure out how to add pics using my phone. I'm in the "go advanced" subsection. Still nothing that says browse or add attachment.......Any help?