Just venting

Gr8bawana

WKR
People killed bull elk all the time with 40-50# recurves. So why now do we need 80# compound bows?
Is it the same reason so many now need to have a rifle to shoot 800-1000 yards?

Ucsdryder

WKR
More draw weight equals faster arrow equals flatter trajectory equals smaller pin gaps equals more room for error equals more dead animals. Unless you're sitting in some tree in the Midwest, then who cares...

I'm 5' 9" with a strong back and 70lbs is easy for me. I have considered 80 lb limbs but I can't justify the money when 70 is fine. Deep down I want a 80lb bow.

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
An 80 lb draw will result in a little more speed (I think it's about 2 fps/lb or something gained for me on my Defiant 34 with a 520g arrow going from 68-72 lbs).

I have a friend who shoots an old Safari Classic or something; it's a 100lb draw weight. He shoots a 900+ grain arrow at like 302 fps if I remember correctly. The thing could go through both shoulder blades of a damn T-Rex, but who cares. Were talking deer and elk. I can shoot his bow, but man I don't want to. You put about 5 arrows down range and you are DONE.

No reason to go to 80 and trash your shoulder that much faster if you are shooting North American big game. Now if you go off to Africa lookin' for elephants, or over to Russia to find yourself a wife.... Well then I'd pack as much heat as I could pull.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'11 190 and I can wear a flat brim hat just fine. I just don't have a need to. A standard floppy brim ball-cap works just fine for me. Besides, with technology today, a floppy brim is more flat than the flat rims were 11 years ago. Especially when I drink pre-workout shakes in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dameon

WKR
If you want 80lb limbs, I say go for it. Talk to your dealer and have him order you a set. Then sell your 70 lb limbs for most of what you paid for new ones if the current ones are in good shape. Bows are expensive and you should get exactly what you want, nothing less.

Although, it could be worse. My wife bought me a mint condition used 70lb Carbon Defiant Turbo last month for my birthday last week that only needed new strings. I had it sitting on the floor of my weight room next to my old bow while I waited until my special day so I can put on new strings and shoot it. My wife clipped the lower limb with her motorized wheelchair and damaged the outside tip. I didn't realize how bad it was until I already put the new strings on and that chunk just fell off revealing a crack forming after the first shot. I superglued it to hold it together for now and will be calling shops on Tuesday to order new limbs. I am hoping Hoyt will sell me higher deflection limbs to get me closer to 75 lbs or even 80 lbs for my Turbo since they built Cam Hanes a 90 pounder for his buffalo and bear hunts. I'm a small guy (5'10" and 165 soaking wet), but I practice an hour almost everyday and that has paid dividends in how much draw weight I can pull. So even though I'm out even more money, hopefully I will have my ideal bow. As far as my wife is concerned, it is all shipping damage. Today was our 12th wedding anniversary and I've learned enough in our twelve plus years together that you don't tell someone they damaged the best gift they could ever get you before you even had a chance to use it. Just swallow it up, pay the bill, and move on. It could be worse....

Kilboars

WKR
I'd just buy another set of limbs or buy an 80# bow and resale that one.

I shot #80 till I started feeling it in my shoulder. Now I'm happy with 68#.

80# is great just know when to say when before I did.

OP
Hookedonhunting
All such great advice! You guys are a plethora of knowledge! I appreciate all the honest answers. At this point of the year and considering my busy schedule, I just need to sit tight, shoot this bow like it is this season and see how I like it over an entire season. As for now, I'm headed to the crossfit gym to do Memorial Day Murph.

May we all remember the fallen!

Jimbob

WKR
I shoot 74 lbs and my dad shoots 60 lbs and we hunt the same animals in the same places. I make fun of him because he is weak and half the man I am. He makes fun of me and tells me I'm stupid as 60 lbs is all that is needed. It has almost ended our relationship. Obviously one of us is right but we both think we are right so we are going to keep judging each other on how stupid the other is. Actually probably one of us doesn't even belong in the woods. SARCASM. Seriously though that's how dumb this argument sounds. There is no magic number, 50 lbs is plenty for moose but it doesn't you can't go over it. Shoot what you can and what you want (can taking the precedent of course).

I bought my Hoyt CST at 60 lbs then just watched AT for some used limbs in the deflection I wanted. You can always buy new limbs and sell the old ones on AT. If you want to know what deflection of limbs you need then email Hoyt, they will get back to you promptly. I have Factor limbs on my CST. Same limbs that year just different decals. Have fun.