Suggestions for new range finder

HookUp

WKR
After missing an elk at 38 yards down slope last fall I am ready to purchase a new range finder.

I was using a Leupold without range compensation. My other issue with the leupold is I had a difficult time seeing the animals I was ranging. I have near 20/20 vision and am looking for something with cleaner glass.

This range finder will also be used on rifle hunts out to about 350 yards (that's long range for me).

Currently looking at the Nikon Archery model, Sig Kilo and maybe another Leupold.

Thanks

kodiakfly

WKR
I've heard good things about the Kilo, and I'm a Leica guy but I was in a bind and had to pick up a rangefinder literally within 24 hrs and my selection was pretty much just the Vortex...well danged if I'm not really pleased with the Vortex. The optics are clear and the display is great. I'm really pleased with it. In fact, my Wife put it through the washer and dryer in my pants pocket and that did do it in, but when I got the warrantee replacement, I didn't even look for another and I rolled with the replacement I got and it's been great.

Elc1973

FNG
Had the vortex ranger it worked good but recently got the leopold and now I realize how much better I like the leopold just wish it had the belt clip like the ranger that thing is handy!

Slingshot

FNG
I Bought a kilo 2200 a few weeks back. Been out a couple times on the weekends. I really like the range scanning mode very fast response.

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
I've had leupold, bushnell, halo and vortex. The vortex is hands down the best I've used. Now with the fury coming out I'm waiting to see if I should sell my ranger and vipers to just carry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I have a ranger 1500 and all around it's okay. Before I had a redfield raider (without angle comp) and holy crap was the redfield fast to range. Vortex takes a few seconds to load up and shoot a range back. The redfield would pump out readings as fast as I could hit the button.

Does the speed really make a difference? Well I had to retrain myself to hit the button on the vortex as I'm pulling it out of my rangefinder pouch to be able to get readings right away once it's up to my eye. If I forget to do that it takes a few seconds to for it to warm up and be able to take a reading. Other than that the vortex wins.

mtnhntr

WKR
I've always ran Leica with the built in RF or a separate small Bushnell unit like the archery one you mentioned. Depends on if you want a ton of stuff around your neck or just one thing.

I will say I've owned both the Leica and Leupold stand alone RFs and was much happier with the form and function of my Bushnell...

TBarron

WKR
If you go Sig, don't go cheap. I recently bought the 1250 bc it was on sale at Cabelas and was disappointed. I looked through the 2000 at the store and was really impressed with the speed and liked the display. The guy at the counter told me they were pretty much the same, but I felt there was pretty big drop off once I got it home. Display is not in color like 2000 and I had a lot of trouble ranging distances beyond 70 yds. Maybe I got a dud, but I took it back and got a used Leica on here.

Bughalli

WKR
My info and experience is a couple years old. I tried a bunch of them in the store (Cabelas and BassPro). Researched whatever I could find. Everything in the $300-$500 range seemed very similar in the store. Leica was nice, but didn't care for the retical. Ended up buying the vortex and after a couple hunts I wasn't happy with it. My old Bushnell was better in function in some ways and much cheaper. My elk guide used the Leupold and it was noticeably better in the field when I compare it side by side to the vortex, which I still had at the time. It's tough to tell differences in the store, but easier to see differences in the field. After returning the vortex I bought the Leupold and I've been very happy with it (Leupold TBR 1000).