Help with arrow selection.

Hey folks. Thanks for all of the helpful insight you all have given me over the last weeks I've been a member. Now on to the next step in getting my set up finished up....

I need to buy all new arrows. My old arrows are too short for this new bow, so I am in the market for a full set.

-Mostly a deer Hunter but will be elk hunting this September.
-Current bow is a 2016 Hoyt Defiant 34
-30" draw
-70# draw weight
-100gr G5 Montec

Need a 30 5/8" arrow length.
Want a 9.5-10.5 gr per inch arrow

Everything else is up for debate. Please understand, I'm not especially versed in the lingo you guys use on the regular. I apologize but please keep it somewhat rudimentary, or else I will end up asking for more help....Hahahaha. I simply have never had to mess with the set up I shot at whitetails. It was set up for me by a good tech and always shot well.

Thanks for any help you good folks can give me.

Many good arrows to choose from.
Too many to list.

I prefer the Black eagle Archery arrows ( X Impacts) they are in your range as far as weight per inch

Just make sure you get a good quality straightness arrow like a .001

Get a decent spined arrow around 300

Montec is a great b/head, and don't be afraid to jump up to a 125 gr tip as well.

Best of luck to you and enjoy the hunts

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a dozen Black Eagle Rampage 250's in .001" straightness that are 30 3/8" from end to nock throat. They were spine indexed and fletched by Jerry at South Shore Archery Supply. I wanted to try the Flex Fletch Silent Knight vanes that everyone raves about, so had him fletch 1/2 doz with the 2", and 1/2 with the 3". The 3" are all new and the 2" have only been shot a few times. One arrow is refletched with 2" Fusion II's, one arrow is missing a fletch, and the other four have a number Sharpied on one vane. These were over $160, but I'll sell them for $120 shipped......which is cheaper than the bare shafts. These are a great arrow for 70lbs and 30" draw. These are 10.7gpi. I also had Jerry put a silver dot on the stiff part of the shaft because I don't use a different color cock vane.

Attachments

• 100_3397.jpg
    100_3397.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_3398.jpg
    100_3398.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I have a dozen Black Eagle Rampage 250's in .001" straightness that are 30 3/8" from end to nock throat. They were spine indexed and fletched by Jerry at South Shore Archery Supply. I wanted to try the Flex Fletch Silent Knight vanes that everyone raves about, so had him fletch 1/2 doz with the 2", and 1/2 with the 3". The 3" are all new and the 2" have only been shot a few times. One arrow is refletched with 2" Fusion II's, one arrow is missing a fletch, and the other four have a number Sharpied on one vane. These were over $160, but I'll sell them for $120 shipped......which is cheaper than the bare shafts. These are a great arrow for 70lbs and 30" draw. These are 10.7gpi. I also had Jerry put a silver dot on the stiff part of the shaft because I don't use a different color cock vane.

Hooked. there ya go
BEA arrows are very good shafts with consistent spine.
Its all I shoot any more.
I have never shot the Rampage arrows but BEA is a fine company

OP
Hookedonhunting

Hey man. Thanks for the offer. Please educate me on this some.

What is "spine indexing"?

Is 350 (total weight with my 100gr broadheads) on the light side for elk? I've been TD to be in the 400-450 weight range.....

Yours will be a 1/4" shorter than I want. I need to double check that length will work.

Why are you selling them? Can I still get my hands on those fletchings so I can redo the one thats missing and the one that's fletched with the fusion?

And....The obvious question.....Pink?? LoL!

OP
Hookedonhunting
What does your current arrow weigh? May not need to change anything.

My current arrow is a 300, but they are too short. Turns out I have been shooting too short of a draw my entire bow hunting life. Add that with the fact that I went up to a larger bow.
The ones I've been practicing with the past few days are actually a little short as well. They would work in a pinch but I bought the cheapest bulk arrow the shop had just to go home and get it on the block. Now I need to get serious and get something to stick with.

Dameon

WKR
I can help you with those questions.

Spine indexing is where the nock and fletching are indexed to the stiff or "heavy" side of the shaft. This stiff side is where the seams of the carbon create a spot down the length of the shaft that is denser and stiffer than the rest of the shaft. Because all arrows undergo archers paradox where arrows flex upon release, spine indexed arrows with very good spine consistency from arrow to arrow will all theoretically flex the same way upon release and will group much better down range.

The pic below is of my successful bareshaft tuning my new bow today with old HTA Harvester arrows that Jerry at SouthShore built for me in 2010. These are spine indexed arrows.

63f4aad5b03c0227a1adf229a8be2140.jpg

I think spine indexing arrows is worth the cost if you have the skill to tell the difference. The next few pics are from a basic walk back tune over the weekend, yoke tuning yesterday, and final bareshaft and yoke tuning tonight.

0625090dfccf8e7f109ae34861524c3b.jpg

e9e7d78e7794737a2d30755e697cb303.jpg

b5396782156952f204ad09da4a6c5e46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dameon

WKR
Regarding your concerns on arrow length, if you are using a full containment rest that is mounted behind your shelf such as a QAD, Ripcord, Hamskea, Whisker Biscuit, etc, then you can safely shoot an arrow up to 2 inches smaller than your draw length. You have to remember that AMO DL is measured as the distance from the nocking point to the deepest part of the grip plus 1.75 inches. At 2 inches smaller, you will run into issues where the broadhead will be on top of the shelf and you will need to check for clearance issues. At 1 inch short, your broadhead should be right in front of the shelf and you just need a proper grip with fingers lightly curled around the grip or into the palm of your hand so you don't slice a finger (use a proper grip!). A lot of guys with longer DLs and heavier DWs will need to cut their arrows shorter than their DL in order to get the best dynamic spine for best arrow flight.

If you are really curious about building new arrows or having new arrows built to your exact specs, then I would recommend taking a look at software such as OnTarget2 from Pinwheel Software or ArchersAdvantage. ArchersAdvantage is cheaper and uses a yearly online subscription, but it is less advanced than OnTarget2. I used OnTarget2 for many years but decided to try ArchersAdvantage this year, and I miss the better features of OnTarget2. So if you are serious about it, then pay the money for OnTarget2 so you don't have to waste money trying different arrow combinations. If you don't feel like playing with software yourself, give Jerry at South Shore Archery a call. Jerry is awesome and is always willing to talk and he can build you the best arrows money can buy.

jmez

WKR
All a matter of opinion but I would say 350gr is too light. I would want to be above 400gr. I'm currently shooting 515gr arrows.

elk hunting this September.
-Current bow is a 2016 Hoyt Defiant 34
-30" draw
-70# draw weight
-100gr G5 Montec

Need a 30 5/8" arrow length.
Want a 9.5-10.5 gr per inch arrow.

I have a pro defiant 34
30" draw
65# (63 actual) draw weight
rip cord ace rest

the rest is 28" from the string at full draw. im having arrows cut from nock to carbon at 29" youll be fine anywhere between 29 and 30.5 if your rest is behind the shelf.

youre nopt going to get 350g total weight unless you find something that weighs 6.8 gpi I mean at 9.5gpi your carbon will weigh 285. 100g head = 385 18 for fletching, 12 for insert, 10 for nock = 425 total weight.
you should see somewhere around 295 fps.

that set up 5miles offered is a great deal. if I wasn't having Valkyrie make me a set up right now I might try to beat you to the punch on it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hey man. Thanks for the offer. Please educate me on this some.

What is "spine indexing"? Dameon pretty much covered that one.

Is 350 (total weight with my 100gr broadheads) on the light side for elk? I've been TD to be in the 400-450 weight range..... 350gr is on the light side for anyone with a 30" draw shooting 70lbs. Even my superlight very brittle Victory HV1 300's at 6.9gpi come in above 380gr.

Yours will be a 1/4" shorter than I want. I need to double check that length will work. I shoot 32 1/2" draw, and these are the length arrows I shoot.

Why are you selling them? Can I still get my hands on those fletchings so I can redo the one thats missing and the one that's fletched with the fusion? I have several dozen arrows and have pretty much settled on GT Kinetic XT 200's for now, so these are expendable. The SK vanes are pretty easy to find.

And....The obvious question.....Pink?? LoL!

And why pink........pink shows up really well where I elk hunt.;) Makes them easy to find. But my current vanes are closer to my response color inside your quote. The same color as the one blue fletched arrow.

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot element typhoons and love them. I have a xpedition denali 29.5" draw, 70lbs and I am shooting an arrow of 28.5 carbon to carbon. My typhoons are 350 spine with a gpi of 10.3. I am getting around 460gr total weight. Element quakes (standard diameter) and typhoons (5mm) would be my suggestion based on your target gpi. Their carbon weave allows for much faster flight correction off of the string and makes them super durable. I forgot to adjust my sight last week and shot over my target. The arrow skipped off the dirt and got buried in a tree. I dug it out of the wood, flexed it and put it right back in the quiver, no damage and still flies true.
f7b69c2abab7fd73f1d5a55033e9f9e6.jpg
c722bf134f4fa8a8a6ada580614471c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
Hookedonhunting
I can help you with those questions.

Spine indexing is where the nock and fletching are indexed to the stiff or "heavy" side of the shaft. This stiff side is where the seams of the carbon create a spot down the length of the shaft that is denser and stiffer than the rest of the shaft. Because all arrows undergo archers paradox where arrows flex upon release, spine indexed arrows with very good spine consistency from arrow to arrow will all theoretically flex the same way upon release and will group much better down range.

The pic below is of my successful bareshaft tuning my new bow today with old HTA Harvester arrows that Jerry at SouthShore built for me in 2010. These are spine indexed arrows.

63f4aad5b03c0227a1adf229a8be2140.jpg

I think spine indexing arrows is worth the cost if you have the skill to tell the difference. The next few pics are from a basic walk back tune over the weekend, yoke tuning yesterday, and final bareshaft and yoke tuning tonight.

0625090dfccf8e7f109ae34861524c3b.jpg

e9e7d78e7794737a2d30755e697cb303.jpg

b5396782156952f204ad09da4a6c5e46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for all this helpful information. I had no idea there was such a science to arrow selection and tuning. I am really glad I asked. Thank you so much for the thorough explanation. I'm not sure I will have the keen ability to tell the difference between indexed arrows or not but you might as well shoot with something tuned! So I believe I should buy those arrows he's offering.

OP
Hookedonhunting
And why pink........pink shows up really well where I elk hunt.;) Makes them easy to find. But my current vanes are closer to my response color inside your quote. The same color as the one blue fletched arrow.

Cool. If you still have them I'd be happy to take them off your hands. Let me know!

I have to say that it's not a matter of opinion that 350gr is too light. It is fact that heavier arrows penetrate better, quieten your bow, and with good foc, will fly better. Go with something 450+ and you won't be sorry.

OP
Hookedonhunting
I have a pro defiant 34
30" draw
65# (63 actual) draw weight
rip cord ace rest

the rest is 28" from the string at full draw. im having arrows cut from nock to carbon at 29" youll be fine anywhere between 29 and 30.5 if your rest is behind the shelf.

youre nopt going to get 350g total weight unless you find something that weighs 6.8 gpi I mean at 9.5gpi your carbon will weigh 285. 100g head = 385 18 for fletching, 12 for insert, 10 for nock = 425 total weight.
you should see somewhere around 295 fps.

that set up 5miles offered is a great deal. if I wasn't having Valkyrie make me a set up right now I might try to beat you to the punch on it.

Hey man. Thanks for the info. Glad you spoke up. Also happy to see our specs are very close to the same as well as equipment. I've decided your right and I should buy those arrows. Providing your numbers apply, in regards to weights of the arrows and add ons, I should be somewhere around 460-465 gr. Thanks again!

OP
Hookedonhunting

Payment sent..... I've pm'd you but my screen doesn't show that it went out.
Cant wait to shoot these badboys.