Matrix target broadhead life

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My Blob ended up in the landfill after less than a month of use.

I've had my 24x24 Blob for probably 6 or 7 years. All I use it for is BH's. If I shoot a FP into it, I have to lay it flat, stand on it, and pull like crazy using my legs to get the arrow out. I haven't seen any abrasion issues on my shafts. But my BH arrows do stick out the back of it in areas I've shot any BH's into.

I bought an 18-1 a few years ago and shot out the first side with BH's in 50 shots. Exactly 50 shots and had a passthrough. Shot the rest out in short order and the target literally fell into two hollow pieces one day. Kinda funny actually. It actually is a pretty decent target if all you shoot at it is FP's. I have a Rhino Block now and only use it in elk camp for the most part, or if I need to take a target somewhere. My Blob weighs 98lbs.

I'm sure the Matrix is a great target, but I certainly wouldn't shoot a lot of BH's into it unless I liked replacing those sections.

I did all my broadhead practice into one 18-1 from 2010 until it wore out in 2015......6 seasons worth. My new one with 1-1/2 seasons is looking like new. I shoot one broadhead into the 18-1 and a few field points into my Morrell Range target then pull and repeat so it isn't getting slammed with 20 broadhead shots per day. The 18-1 is always in the back of the truck on any longer trips too. Great target......the best I've ever found!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
baa3b45b86c4164d7ab4409a34d6939a.heic

I’m on my second module and I shoot everyday. Broadheads will decrease life for sure but it’s holding up better than any target I’ve ever had.
I blacked out the white centers for long range practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Here's a couple of pictures of my Matrix next to my Rhinoblock. They both have about 1.5 years of use. That is the second insert in the rhinoblock. Havent changed any cells in the Matrix. Pics show both sides of the targets.

The middle dot is pretty much gone in the first pic of the Matrix so I turned it around. The arrows penetrate about 6 inches both sides of Matrix.

About 80% of the shots in both targets are BH's. The targets are outside all the time. The Matrix is the best BH target I've ever used.
f6281b7fe5b9f807de83a152c116690f.jpg
5cb9b36c13cf464e31533dfb3328ce64.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If it tells you anything, I just ordered my first Matrix. Should be here today. And no, I'm not comped. I'll post up after I've had a chance to use it.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
On my third season with it. Try to shoot 5-7 days a week from April to September and at least Two/Three times a week in the off-season. I live in the city so lots of close range. To preserve target I hang dental floss and try to cut it in each session. Puts impacts all over the place. Switch broad heads in August. Just flipped to back side a couple weeks ago.

Have yet to order a replacement.

Only target I have ever bought so can’t compare, but I love the thing.

016ffc1b96f46d5ed48d4f77ac8208e6.jpg

8c8d385d713edad4d38f67dbf82d7bcb.jpg

TheCougar

WKR
I just ordered one. 4-5 week backlog of orders and I guess the price is going up soon as well. I hope it lasts long enough to be worth the cost.

Mmcan

WKR
Love both of mine. Will probably buy another once these wear out in 2026.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just got mine unboxed tonight. Very nice target. And heavier than I imagined it would be. I shot more than what the video shows and I get about 4-6 inches penetration with 285 fps 360 gr arrow with Iron Will and field points. I think this is going to be a tough target.
[video=youtube_share;1xjAcv6EuAg]https://youtu.be/1xjAcv6EuAg[/video]

jmez

WKR
It hasn't been with mine. You will get some sun fade on the top of the target but the faces don't fade. I've left mine outside since I've had it, year and a half. No weathering issues at all.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Man you guys have better luck than I with these targets. I can and have gone through a module in a 2 weeks of shooting broad heads. Spoke to the owner many times last fall about. They did send me a replacement module but. I would never recommend this target for braodheads use.

Man you guys have better luck than I with these targets. I can and have gone through a module in a 2 weeks of shooting broad heads. Spoke to the owner many times last fall about. They did send me a replacement module but. I would never recommend this target for braodheads use.

I have had the same experience. Great target but brodheads chew them up very fast.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks for sharing, I'm testing this right now on my center module and Ironwill 100 grain broadheads. I have an arrow counter so I should be able to tell how many shots it takes to tear one up. Please clarify how many arrows you shot in the two weeks you're referring to.

It's been my experience (as the video above shows) that the foam targets are pretty much toast after a season.

I'm not a heavy shooter, like 500-2000 arrows a year, so it might take some time to fully test this Matrix and get back on this thread, but I'll do my best.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Please clarify how many arrows you shot in the two weeks you're referring to.

I haven't tried the Matrix, but every foam target I've had has worn out (i.e. passthroughs) in a single spot in less than 50 BH-tipped arrows......even my Blob. So I have to spread them around quite a bit. But I rarely ever shoot BH's at less than 40 so I prefer not aiming towards the edges. These days, after I'm BH tuned I don't shoot them much except leading up to the season......a single BH arrow every day as my kill shot.

That's one thing that caught my eye on your Matrix. I would expect the center module to have the larger circle for shooting long range, and the outer modules to have small circles for shooting at closer ranges.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing, I'm testing this right now on my center module and Ironwill 100 grain broadheads. I have an arrow counter so I should be able to tell how many shots it takes to tear one up. Please clarify how many arrows you shot in the two weeks you're referring to.

It's been my experience (as the video above shows) that the foam targets are pretty much toast after a season.

I'm not a heavy shooter, like 500-2000 arrows a year, so it might take some time to fully test this Matrix and get back on this thread, but I'll do my best.

Robbie no more than a couple hundred arrows and I get pass throughs. Broad heads I was shooting Tooth of the arrow 1-3/6" 4 blade. These heads trashed the targets during pull out chunks of foam came out after every arrow after the 50-60 shots. I am now shooting A-tac's (much smaller profile) and it's does not tear it up as bad. Also Magnus ser razors where very read on the targets.
In my opinion this is not a target that be sold as a braodhead target and shared my opinion with the owner last year.
Hope this helps
Brett

I haven't tried the Matrix, but every foam target I've had has worn out (i.e. passthroughs) in a single spot in less than 50 BH-tipped arrows......even my Blob. So I have to spread them around quite a bit. But I rarely ever shoot BH's at less than 40 so I prefer not aiming towards the edges. These days, after I'm BH tuned I don't shoot them much except leading up to the season......a single BH arrow every day as my kill shot.

That's one thing that caught my eye on your Matrix. I would expect the center module to have the larger circle for shooting long range, and the outer modules to have small circles for shooting at closer ranges.

5 Miles if you flip the matrix 180 it’s opposite with bigger center and small outer. Each module has a big spot end and small spot. You can position them whichever direction you like. I would say even the big spots are a little small beyond 80

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robbie no more than a couple hundred arrows and I get pass throughs. Broad heads I was shooting Tooth of the arrow 1-3/6" 4 blade. These heads trashed the targets during pull out chunks of foam came out after every arrow after the 50-60 shots. I am now shooting A-tac's (much smaller profile) and it's does not tear it up as bad. Also Magnus ser razors where very read on the targets.
In my opinion this is not a target that be sold as a braodhead target and shared my opinion with the owner last year.
Hope this helps
Brett

yes, Brett, that's what I needed. So a couple hundred arrows before pass through. I'm tracking mine closely and will have some numbers later in the summer. But I'm shooting a two-blade Ironwill, so that might make a difference. Also, out of curiosity, what broadhead target do you like better that you can shoot for 2 weeks straight and not shoot out the center?

5miles, yes, as doverpack12 said, two spot sizes and I'm shooting the small spot side for now.