Matrix target broadhead life

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
yes, Brett, that's what I needed. So a couple hundred arrows before pass through. I'm tracking mine closely and will have some numbers later in the summer. But I'm shooting a two-blade Ironwill, so that might make a difference. Also, out of curiosity, what broadhead target do you like better that you can shoot for 2 weeks straight and not shoot out the center?

5miles, yes, as doverpack12 said, two spot sizes and I'm shooting the small spot side for now.

Robby after I shoot this target out I will go back to buying the cheap yellow jacket ones annually. I get a season out of them or more. I only shoot broad heads for a couple months a year. As for shooting two weeks into one spot I cant say thats true as I was broad head tuning during that time and had plenty of shoot land out of center core out of that 200 arrows (15 a day). Anyways I I do believe smaller broad heads like the Iron will will not take to much of a toll on any target.
FYI My buddy also bought a Matrix at the same time as I did and has had the same results as I have shooting kudu points. Those screw as the go into the taget and really cut the foam up too. The Local Shop was selling them but after just one season decided they would not sell them. Not sure of there reasoning. They now sell the 365 targets and have heard great things about them.Archery Target | Self Sealing | Trio Target System I will stick with the cheap one though.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, got my first 50 (52 actually) of the Ironwill 100 2-blade with bleeders into the center module. This is what I see so far.
8c61c48946df294816c3e1387a176e66.jpg

I count every arrow that touches the module. These were from 20-100 yards, probably an average of 50 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Any updates on these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m at 80 shots with broadheads to center module, a little more wear. No decrease in stopping ability. Lasting better than the foam targets I’ve been around.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, 102 arrows in center module with Ironwill Broadheads. Still holding up well.

I took some measurements 28.5” 360 gr arrow at 284 FPS getting about 4.5” penetration at 50 yards. As you can see, that’s virtually the same as shooting into a new module.

Only difference is that they’re easier to pull from the center module and it looks worse.

758224976b36e1cb81bde7d59fb8436f.jpg
e7f3f35a37e7aeb2bee7c2a321f461cc.jpg
eebad1458aa5f201c6704250f78d068e.jpg

c7a596c0b8692388bbcde360bd6b1541.jpg

I’ll check back at about every 50 arrows.

Last edited:

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a Matrix, its getting shipped as we speak. Pain in the butt to get it up to Canada. I see a lot of talk about guys shooting a lot of boadheads into their targets. I guess my question is why are you dumping 1000s BH shots into a target? I shoot year round and I shoot my BH once a month to make sure everything is still in tune, then before the season starts I spend a bit more time shooting them to dial in everything if not done already. Maybe I am missing something but I would rather shoot target points into my targets then BH. my opinion.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Remps, you’ll like that target and if you go only field points, it’ll last and last and last

On your question, I don’t think I shoot thousands of broadheads a year, more like 100’s, but I do keep them in my shooting sets almost year-round. (Also, I’m not a great shot by any stretch)

It’s not shown in this thread, but I have a shrink wrap style target set up right next to the matrix. I’m shooting a six arrow set right now, two are broadheads, four are field points. I shoot the field points into the bag target.

Both heads group together BUT broadheads magnify my errors. By keeping them in my set year round, it keeps me in reality about how I’m really shooting. I’ve always grouped better with field points, and it makes me think I’m shooting better than I actually am because they’re more forgiving. Hope that answers it.

Last edited:

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Remps, you’ll like that target and if you go only field points, it’ll last and last and last

On your question, I don’t think I shoot thousands of broadheads a year, more like 100’s, but I do keep them in my shooting sets almost year-round. (Also, I’m not a great shot by any stretch)

It’s not shown in this thread, but I have a shrink wrap style target set up right next to the matrix. I’m shooting a six arrow set right now, two are broadheads, four are field points. I shoot the field points into the bag target.

Both heads group together BUT broadheads magnify my errors. By keeping them in my set year round, it keeps me in reality about how I’m really shooting. I’ve always grouped better with field points, and it makes me think I’m shooting better than I actually am because they’re more forgiving. Hope that answers it.

Hey robby.

You bring up a good point about BH magnifying your mistakes. Perhaps I should shoot them a little more often.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey robby.

You bring up a good point about BH magnifying your mistakes. Perhaps I should shoot them a little more often.

Give it a try and see if it makes any difference. I’d rather not shoot them honestly, but I always feel like I’m cheating if I don’t.

jmez

WKR
I always have BH's in my practice quiver and I shoot them every day all year. Confidence thing for me. Only way I can be 100% sure they are shooting the same as my FP's is to shoot them right with the FP's.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here’s my next 50 arrow update. Now at 157 Ironwills into center module.

Seeing a few more inches of penetration (compare to post above) and I’ve finally obliterated the white dot, but holding up well with these heads

b6844dd3e9de21bbd767d699ce3eebbd.jpg

bbf0a6d75ee4c480d75b7bf6645b9d81.jpg

Looks like about 3” more penetration compared to the 102 arrow check

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK. I hit 200 arrows with Ironwill broadheads into center module. Still stopping 360gr (Edit 370 grains)285fps no problem. Looks like I lost about 2” stopping power compared to previous posts but plenty of life left in that mod. I do pull some slivers of target with some shots and it looks rough, but no doubt this target will out perform the foams I’ve used over the years. If a guy shot mostly field points, this targets gonna last many years.

I didn’t need to but I went ahead and turned that mod around for more even wear. It’s no easy task breaking a Matrix apart the first time but it went back together easy enough.

Don’t be afraid to buy this target.
6ee95107c3af7511bafde5958fb38302.jpg
f634729fd630d1041e72653dc0367090.jpg
77437b0c46b3230f9076aaab425411d8.jpg

Last edited:

WJS23

WKR
Thanks for doing this test I have been thinking about picking this target up

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok here is the module at 310 shots of Ironwills. Remember this is the opposite side of same module. Penetration is about the same

59eef5826e36f34aedc2e7231ff10d6f.jpg
1d049f9cf2862045d9bcbc971f2dfe06.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m at 422 arrows tipped with Ironwills into the center mod. Finally starting to see some deeper penetration, but only reaching halfway through the module. Pretty sure these mods will take 500+ broadheads at this rate. Here’s the pics:
301281b7336a7a2337367a6fbed44212.jpg

315512d554398f396abf4b506b74c1c4.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hey Robby,

How much are individual modules for the Matrix? Here's a few pics of my Blob that I've had for probably 10 years. Normally I don't shoot that many BH's but after my bow blew apart when a yoke loop broke at full draw, and it was rebuilt with all new components, I had a bear of a time tuning it.......so shot a LOT of BH's since this June. Turns out the limb pocket is twisted......that makes sense now. I was pulling my hair out.

The first pic is from last year with just a few shots into that side. And then now after all that attempted tuning.:mad: And then what the backside looks like. But quite frankly, every target I've ever had looks like that after shooting it a lot with BH's. Big long slices of foam that come out. I posted the pics in order, but they're all jumbled now.

Attachments

• 100_3393.jpg
    100_3393.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 101_3851.jpg
    101_3851.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 101_3852.jpg
    101_3852.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 52

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
5miles, hey bud, those modules run 49.95 each. TARGETS

You mentioned “long strips of foam”. I haven’t seen that with the Matrix, more like little chunks.

Glad you got your bow tuned up. I shot more broadheads this year because of this test but I’m pretty sure i shoot a few hundred a year anyway.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Only a 360grn arrow? Or does that not include the broadhead weight?

The 360grs (edit 370 grains) does include the 100 grain broadhead. Have shot this weight for years and it’s killed every buck I’ve hit. Shoots flat for the 70lbs I pull

I’ve contemplated going heavier but haven’t made the jump. Might have to someday just to get my site tape gaps easier to read due to my aging eyes.

What weight do you shoot with what poundage?

Last edited: