Matrix target broadhead life

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I want to buy a new broadhead target and I like the Matrix a lot.
Has anyone here used a lot of broadheads on one? If so how well has it held up?

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
I want to buy a new broadhead target and I like the Matrix a lot.
Has anyone here used a lot of broadheads on one? If so how well has it held up?

I don't know how to quantify "a lot", but purchased my Matrix last June. Shot 50+ at center with my Broadheads last year, plus 100+ field points for the months of July and August.

Started cutting dental floss in my garage with 50+ bareshaft arrows a week for the last two months. I move the floss around to distribute wear as even as I can.

Below is a picture from 2 minutes ago. Holding up pretty darn good if you ask me.

For broadheads I did notice on a couple occasions that repeated shots in same area very small slivers of foam would come out.

ed08abae0da52c9a6b6dd0eb798f76a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I will second what Elkoholic30 said.
The Matrix takes broad heads better than any foam target I have ever owned. I can't show you any new picks because mine is still in Kansas at a rancher friends place where I accidentally left it but I had hundreds of BH shots into it last summer and fall and every Hex is still stopping arrows.

OP
W

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Ok thanks.
Another question, do your broadheads make it out the back of target?
I would like to be able to unscrew the broached and not drag it back through the target, because I have had inserts come out doing that and lost broadheads in the target. I also think it chews up the target faster.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Ok thanks.
Another question, do your broadheads make it out the back of target?
I would like to be able to unscrew the broached and not drag it back through the target, because I have had inserts come out doing that and lost broadheads in the target. I also think it chews up the target faster.

No. The target stops them well before they would be a full pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine. 3 years in and only a little wear on the center cube on one side from all the broadheads. Field points don't appear to do anything to it other than leave a mark because the hole seals tight. I cant imagine any bow fired arrow that could penetrate this target to the opposite side. I have cut the seatbelt-type strap around the outside of the cubes with errant broadheads. They are easily repaired on the sewing machine. I do keep it the garage when I'm not using it so it's not generally exposed to the elements. The opposite side looks factory new. Looks like the last target purchase I will ever need to make in my lifetime.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
What is the shipping charge on these?

They are a sponsor on here. It's been quite a while since I got mine but considering the quality & longevity I thought it was reasonable at the time. I would check with them directly.

OP
W

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had broadheads pull the inserts out of their arrows when removing them from the target?
I like to use the cool flex glue so that I can index my blades, but I don't think it holds the inserts as well as an epoxy.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Not here, the only targets that I have had pull an insert/outsert out are bag targets with outserts.

Has anyone had broadheads pull the inserts out of their arrows when removing them from the target?
I like to use the cool flex glue so that I can index my blades, but I don't think it holds the inserts as well as an epoxy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

That's why I only use epoxy on inserts. I want them to be permanently attached to my arrows. With the hot melt and cool melt glues, I had several pull out. But not a one since I switched to epoxy several years ago.

As for BH targets.........ALL foam targets are going to get torn up shooting BH's into them. And the larger the cutting surface of the BH, the quicker it will tear up. There's no way around that with foam.

I must shoot a lot more then most guys, I have shot out 2 moduals in a year. I just replaced them this weekend actually. both would allow my arrows to pass all the through and out the back when I finally switched them out. that said I love the target and would recommend it to anyone looking at them.

92xj

WKR
Other than supporting forum sponsors, is there any huge advantage to match the high cost of this target over a blob target? Besides appearance. A blob to your door is $135.

Tilzbow

WKR
Other than supporting forum sponsors, is there any huge advantage to match the high cost of this target over a blob target? Besides appearance. A blob to your door is $135.

Yes, the Blob will ruin carbon arrows. It's made from some sort of carpet adhesive which contains sand and it pretty quickly wears down the front end of carbon shafts. At least that was my experience and when I emailed the Blob owners asking about this they never answered my emails even after several requests. Therefore I have no problem throwing them and their product under the bus. My Blob ended up in the landfill after less than a month of use.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
There is a post over on AT of a guy who shot though his matrix in like 300 shots with field points to one hex and like 130 shots with broadheads to a separate hex. Seems it was a quality control issue, kinda worrisome give such a small company.

Thanks,
Boswell

jmez

WKR
There is a post over on AT of a guy who shot though his matrix in like 300 shots with field points to one hex and like 130 shots with broadheads to a separate hex. Seems it was a quality control issue, kinda worrisome give such a small company.

Thanks,
Boswell

I just saw that the other night. First real negative review I've seen. I ordered one over the weekend. I'll report back on how mine is holding up. My will be used pretty much just for broadheads, and I shoot them a lot. Hope it holds up.

jmez

WKR
To me, the cost is a relative issue. Yeah, it is an expensive target. For just FP's no way it is worth the money IMO. I shoot my FP's into a bag target. I used to go through a lot of bags, 4-5 a year. I now have a Morrel Outdoor Range bag and it is going on year 4, still never a pass through, not even close, and have replaced the cover one time. I never take it in, has been sitting outside for all 4 years. Great target.

For broadheads, if it holds up it will be worth the money. I currently have a Glen Del Full Rut and a Rinehart Rhino block. The Glen Del is going on year three. I shoot about 2.5 cores a year out of it. Replacements are $80 each so that cost me $200 a year. The target itself isn't in good shape. Where the legs attach to the body is has become really loose, I have to pin the top to the legs with metal stakes. If there is much wind at all the top falls off of the legs. I'm going to have to replace the whole thing next year. $250 for the target, $200 a year for three years to shoot it, and will have to spend another $250 on a replacement so $1100 in four years.

The Rhino block is worthless. $160 for the target, replacement cores are $50. I shot the core out of it in 3 mos. Didn't last long enough to even bother replacing it. I then started shooting the solid sides as the core won't stop the arrows. Going on year two and have shot it completely in two.

Rinehart 18-1 is the best broadhead target I've ever had. It lasted a long time. Size is the only problem with that. Lose too many arrows trying to shoot it at 100 yards.

If I can move the cubes around on the Matrix and replace one a year it will be well worth the money.