Insert Removal

So I broke off a few inserts in some GT pierce shafts. Any other ways to get them out beside dropping a drill bit down and pounding it out with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a chainsaw file and sling the arrow in a manner that catapults the file towards the insert. Takes about 12 hits for a deep rooted stainless insert.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've tried the drill bit method with some of my arrows that take HIT's and I've swung for 15 minutes with a 30" arrow without the insert budging. But then again, that's why I use epoxy to start with.

Brendan

WKR
I've had limited success getting inserts out of the GT Pierce. You could buy a FACT insert tool and see if you could use that to hammer the insert out.

I just took a bunch, cut the insert off with my arrow saw, and am building them shorter with D6 inserts.

OP
Jake Leibke
The problem I've had with the drill bit method is it ended up mushrooming the end of the insert and busting the arrow coming out anyway.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kicker338

WKR
I've tried the drill bit method with some of my arrows that take HIT's and I've swung for 15 minutes with a 30" arrow without the insert budging. But then again, that's why I use epoxy to start with.

I use epoxy too, To get it broke loose I use a long steel rod slightly smaller than the inside dia. of the arrow and about 2ft. longer than the arrow. Slam it down hard and it usually takes 2 to 3 tries to get the insert out.

Dameon

WKR
Does anyone know if the rubberized glue that Jerry at SouthShore uses for inserts is heat reversible? I just bought 24 used Easton Hexx 330 arrows to go with the 8 I have remaining from Jerry, but the batch of 24 are cut to 28 (20 arrows) and 27 3/8th (4 arrows) while the 8 I already had are cut to 28.25 carbon to carbon. The 24 were built with low temp hot melt, so they will be easy enough to disassemble, but I've never tried disassembling an arrow from Jerry. I would like to get the inserts out and have all the arrows cut to the same length of 27 3/8ths carbon to carbon for an approximately 27.5 inch finished arrow. At the rate I have been destroying arrows (I really should stop shooting groups...), 32 arrows will hopefully last me a while.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use epoxy too, To get it broke loose I use a long steel rod slightly smaller than the inside dia. of the arrow and about 2ft. longer than the arrow. Slam it down hard and it usually takes 2 to 3 tries to get the insert out.

Ya, I have a steel rod for that purpose as well, but it's never worked on HIT's put in with epoxy. With all the "melt" glues, all I have to do is shoot my arrows into the target to get the inserts out. Which is exactly why I only use the 2-part 24-hour epoxy now. It works. I've shot steel T-posts and didn't loosen the HIT. I even shot a concrete block with an FMJ that didn't loosen the HIT. It completely blew that arrow apart, but the HIT was still stuck inside that 3" piece of the shaft.

jmez

WKR
Does anyone know if the rubberized glue that Jerry at SouthShore uses for inserts is heat reversible? I just bought 24 used Easton Hexx 330 arrows to go with the 8 I have remaining from Jerry, but the batch of 24 are cut to 28 (20 arrows) and 27 3/8th (4 arrows) while the 8 I already had are cut to 28.25 carbon to carbon. The 24 were built with low temp hot melt, so they will be easy enough to disassemble, but I've never tried disassembling an arrow from Jerry. I would like to get the inserts out and have all the arrows cut to the same length of 27 3/8ths carbon to carbon for an approximately 27.5 inch finished arrow. At the rate I have been destroying arrows (I really should stop shooting groups...), 32 arrows will hopefully last me a while.

Just pull the nock and cut off the back end.