Best way to quiet bow

Will_m

WKR
Aside from shooting a heavier arrow, what's everyone's experience with the effectiveness of different silencing products. On my impulse, since I have a string stop and what look to be some sort or rubberized speed beads near the cam, I don't see a need for string silencers. However, the bow does seem slightly loud, but not the twang kind of vibration loud. It's more like a loud slap or crack and then its over.

I have found despite all the new products over the last decade, nothing works like string whiskers. The old rubber whiskers. That will the string stop, it will help by 40%.
On elk , probably not a concern. But when you draw on a group of 7 whitetail, and your bow is not quite on the shot, you will miss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brendan

WKR
First thing - make sure nothing is loose. I prefer to use a tiny dab of blue loctite on a all screws - but that's up to you.

Second - depending on your rest, I've had the launcher make a hell of a "slap" when it comes down if it's contacting something. Some manufacturers make poly vs. metal blades, plastic screws, felt coverings, rubber riser covers, etc. to quiet this down. Or, often you can adjust the rest in terms of brace and full draw stops. You can test if it's the rest by shooting a bare shaft and disconnecting the launcher cable so the launcher stays up.

Third - String Stops, Limb Dampeners, Bowjax on your stabilizer. Make sure your string stop is adjusted right, and isn't loose.

Last - just for the hell of it, try a heavier arrow and see if it makes a difference.

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
Aside from shooting a heavier arrow, what's everyone's experience with the effectiveness of different silencing products. On my impulse, since I have a string stop and what look to be some sort or rubberized speed beads near the cam, I don't see a need for string silencers. However, the bow does seem slightly loud, but not the twang kind of vibration loud. It's more like a loud slap or crack and then its over.

Speaking of that, how much different is it for elk or other game animals compared to deer.

As far as distance is concerned, once you pass 40 or so yards, deer moving before the arrow arrives has been almost certain in my experience. How is it on elk? For example, an 80 yard shot on a whitetail would result in almost certainty that the deer would be long gone by the time the arrow arrives -- but what about elk or antelope?

the speed nocks on your string won't do nearly what a set of cat whiskers would in terms of quieting things down.

cooperjd

WKR
another vote for the old rubber whiskers. i cut them kinda short, and i lost 3-4 fps IIRC when i put them on. i have them in addition to speed nocks.

limb savers on the limbs

good stabilizer, possibly with some damping material

make sure its tuned really well.

in my experience on longer shots on whitetails, they havent' moved at all at the shot. my bows are also really, really quiet in addition to launching heavy arrows, so i dont think they are startled as much.

you said 'besides shooting a heavy arrow'... but that is the best way there is to quiet your bow. if your bow has a loud slap, maybe consider upping the weight a bit?

Beendare

WKR
A loud bow sucks for a bowhunter.

The sound you are hearing is excess energy that the bow cannot impart to a lighter arrow. You can treat the problem....or put a band aid on the symptom.

Dulling the sound of my bow is my number 2 priority right behind accuracy. I've seen so many cases of bad shots due animals moving from the bow noise that I will forsake everything but accuracy to achieve it...including sacrificing a little trajectory for the MANY advantages of a heavier arrow. Funny thing when I went to the heavier arrow/quiet bow.....my shot locations improved....and some animals hardly react or know they were shot [partially due to a COC BH too] shorter blood trails for sure.

The other interesting thing is in the slot trajectory of the distances I shoot most animals, the loss of trajectory wasn't much of a factor.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's more like a loud slap or crack and then its over.

The only time my bows sound like that is when I try an IBO 350gr arrow. But with my 32 1/2" draw, that 350gr arrow is probably way underweight for 70lbs. My 500+ grain arrows quiet it down very well.

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
The only time my bows sound like that is when I try an IBO 350gr arrow. But with my 32 1/2" draw, that 350gr arrow is probably way underweight for 70lbs. My 500+ grain arrows quiet it down very well.

At a 27" draw and a 463 grain arrow that I've already cut to excess length to pick up weight I'm already scrapping to pick up extra weight. I've looked into some tubes to increase my arrow weight but haven't really considered it. It is an 80 pound bow though so that may have some impact on the decibel level.

Sounds like the only option is a heavier arrow or lower draw weight.

jmez

WKR
Not the only option but definitely the best option. I've shot heavy arrows for years. 500-525grns. Many different bows and when I shoot at a range, or with other people, they always comment on how quiet my bow is. It's not the bow.

Will,

First of all, a heavier arrow is the best way to make a bow quieter. Try a heavier broadhead and a stiffer spined arrow if you don't want a lot of extra length. You mention a string stop, the crack you hear might be the string hitting the stop if it is too far away from the riser. Also, the string will still flex forward after it hits the string stop so you will get some harmonics that could be dampend by placing string silencers (even a little piece of leather) at the RIGHT spot on the string for the harmonics you are hearing.

Since you mentioned it sounded more like a crack or a slap my first thought is that something is loose and makes the noise when it returns from its flexed position to its at rest position. I had a take down recurve once that was set up a little loose and the limb would make a noise when it hit the riser after I released the arrow. A rubber shim fixed the problem.

cooperjd

WKR
at 80# and 463 grains, you're only at 5.79 grains per pound.

considering that the minimum is 5gpp, id' say you're on the light side.

I understand having a shorter draw length you want a lighter arrow for a flatter trajectory, but just as an example, my "light" arrows (70# bow, 487gr) are 6.95gpp. my big boy bow (80#, 642gr) is at 8.03 gpp.

I could tell an audible difference when I switched from 410 gr turkey arrows back to my normal 500 grainers. Actually wanting to build a 525 grain vap this year.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Lots of good answers above.
Not sure why you are against the heavier arrow. It IS the best way to quiet a loud bow.
Start with making sure your bow is tuned well and everything attached to it is tight. Loose components are noisy. Adding vibration absorbing silencers to the string will help and it matters what kind and where you place them. It may take time shooting and moving them around to find the sweet spot that helps quiet things down the most. The trade off is the best vibration absorbing string silencers usually means heavier silencers and that means a loss in speed. Speed is not as important as accuracy and being quiet.
Vibration absorbing components on limbs and accessories will help to but extra arrow weight on tuned bow is king.

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
Lots of good answers above.
Not sure why you are against the heavier arrow. It IS the best way to quiet a loud bow.
Start with making sure your bow is tuned well and everything attached to it is tight. Loose components are noisy. Adding vibration absorbing silencers to the string will help and it matters what kind and where you place them. It may take time shooting and moving them around to find the sweet spot that helps quiet things down the most. The trade off is the best vibration absorbing string silencers usually means heavier silencers and that means a loss in speed. Speed is not as important as accuracy and being quiet.
Vibration absorbing components on limbs and accessories will help to but extra arrow weight on tuned bow is king.

Not against a heavier arrow at all, against re-outfitting with new arrows. I think I would have to switch to FMJ dangerous game at this point -- I'm shooting carbon express piledriver ptx's now and there doesn't look to be a large selection of arrows on the market with a high gpi. Nonetheless, I'm just not going to purchase new arrows at this point unless something changes. I may look into arrow weight tubes or something similar to pick up extra weight on a budget, but just going out and buying a $100+ in arrows is no small task. I think I acknowledged that heavy arrows were the appropriate way to quiet a bow, so knowing that I was simply looking for suggestions in the alternative.

It's almost like some people just can't wait to jump up and down and make implied accusations of speed obsession or aversion to heavy arrows. I think the thread has made its point on the heavy arrow aspect. I agree wholeheartedly.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
At this point weight tubes in your current arrows would be your easiest/cheapest solution. But aluminum arrows also don't cost as much as carbons, so those are an option as well. But when you can go out and get some new carbons, there are plenty of options out there for getting your weight up, as well as weighted inserts, and heavier points.

I have some 11gpi carbon arrows that weigh right around 650gr with 75gr HIT's and 200+ grain heads.

One of the best ways to add weight is to use weighted (brass or ss) inserts for "pennies on the dollar". Going heavier broadheads isn't much different than buying new arrows, especially the ones at $45 for a 3 pack.

My arrows weigh 395 grs shooting 70lb draw and think my bow is loud until the guy next to me comments on how quiet the bow is...