Importance of FOC ??

^^^Gotcha...good clarification. I totally agree.

Many of the problems I've seen over the years with friends not being able to tune their bows was due to them being underspined. In a modern compound, a guy wants to avoid being underspined......or even close.

I've never seen a conclusive study where very high FOC was a scientifically proven advantage.

I've never come across a legitimate pro that uses very high FOC as their primary criteria in arrow selection- not one.

I have seen heavy arrows far outperform light arrows on penetration.

I wont say I can prove it works (foc) but I will say I had something happen that has never happened to me before which make a believe it has to be a factor. I was shooting one day not long after I got my 250 spine arrows and was shooting a new release (yes I am making an excuse), I touched one off before i was ready and shot through the shops plywood wall. my arrow stopped at the fletches, when the guy from the archery shop went around to push my arrow back the guy in the shop behind him (its an auto shop) said something flew across the room. well it was my outsert and field point. what does this prove? nothing really other than I got lucky someone didn't get hurt, but based on what the weight up front did which I have never had happen before that it must have more momentum and carry energy better (not sure i'm saying that right). I cant help but believe this added energy/momentum will help with penetration on an animal

geriggs

WKR
I can tell you as of right now I am a believer. I haven't "walked back" tuned my bow but I did have to pro shop help me tune it off the rest thru paper. getting good holes with both my reign 7 and my E35. I used to shoot 70lbs, then down to 65, now I am at 60. I had a lot of Axis 300s and Kinetic Pro 300s laying around and although I knew they were stiff for my poundage and arrow length (28.75)....I shot them anyway. I had 6-9% FOC. At 20 yards they shot fine. A few BHs sot with Field tips but not many. I initially bought 3 125 gr BHs to weaken the spine a bit and give me a little more FOC. That worked pretty well but I have like 30 unshot BHs in 100gr and I don't feel like selling them all and buying new and buying new Field tips. I decided to by a properly spined arrow with a little less GPI. Some guys on AT recommended the Black Eagle Rampage 350s since it is the same diameter as Axis and Kinetics......man my groups have tightened up and BHs I could never get to fly well are shooting with my field tips. I love the arrows so far and I think I will stay with them. I haven't shot long distance yet but will soon. I may sell all my Axis and Kinetic Pros. They are both great arrows but I can get great FOC with the Black Eagles and they are about the same finished weight 425-450 grains (50gr outsert helps) .

OP
S

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the help gents .
I've ordered a half doz spartans along with the inserts to give it a whirl . Mainly to see how they shoot for starters .
Also downloaded the trial of the OT2 program .

cheers

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
I think FOC is highly overrated and emphasized way to much on the web. I've been there and done that with FOC mainly from the web forum craze about it. My arrows at 9% fly just as well as anything I built at 20%. I have also had more arrows break with the higher FOC numbers. I personally would rather have a higher GPI arrow that can withstand more of a beating.

KE is more overated than anything else. There are tradeoffs to more weight up front at the shot (weaker effective spine). But once in flight, the benefits take over. Center of mass changes, affecting arrow dynamics. At impact in the target, the benefits are greatest.

If you want higher FOC, you need to shoot a stiffer spine to start.

All kidding aside, a reasonably high, FOC is, pretty important for Compounds with, a draw weight, between 40 to 60 lbs and for, fixed Blade hunting Arrows to be used on, Big Deer, Elk and Moose. I'm 70 years old and pull 54 pounds, my Arrow is; a Gold Tip Hunter XT 340 spine, 28.25 inches, 50 grain insert & a 20 grain Fact installed w/Loctite, light accu Nocks, 3 VaneTec 3 inch, VMax vanes using 3 degree Ariz. helical fletcher, no wrap, 14.7% FOC and 457 Grains total Arrow weight, with a G5 Striker 100 gr. or VPA 100 gr Vented B-H's, Velocity out of my PSE DNA SP @ 54 lbs is only 255 fps and Sight Pins all fit nicely in the Trophy Taker Housing (30-70 Yards ) I tried hard to find a BALANCE between penetration, GOOD Arrow Flight, Flat TRAJECTORY, quiet Vanes & Broadhead, and ACCURACY ! We will be hunting rolling hills, open Juniper and Sage country for Elk. NO, I don't want to shoot 70 yds but, could shoot to 60 ( my Max. comfort range ) Momentum approx. .517 Slug, KE 64.5 lbs. If you know anyone shooting 50-58 pounds, this Arrow is,.. "Golden" IMHO ! Doug

Beendare

WKR
I think FOC is highly overrated and emphasized way to much on the web. .....

^^^Agreed. Its all about good arrow flight and a forgiving setup.

If you can get that with higher FOC....then fine. The uber FOC arrows I've tested [28%] gave me an unstable arrow on the launch. With perfect form they shot fine but kneeling and in different hunting type shooting scenarios I got a lot more flyers with those than I do with a forgiving more balanced setup [16%] Not what I would want for my hunting setup...YMMV