practice distance

Beendare

WKR
Sure shooting longer shots makes the close shots easier.

Standing at any distance and stacking arrow after arrow helps with form....but its not the best practice routine IMO when getting ready for a hunt.

colersu22

WKR
I was shooting out to 80 yards this weekend but normally shoot between 30-60 yards. Finally got out and cleared the property at my in laws last weekend so we can set up a walk through course to have more realistic hunting shots vs shooting at the same block every time.

Between me and my father in law we have probably 10 dozen arrows plus the arrows we use for hunting so even though I only have my pins set to 60 I don't mind winging them at 80+ every once and awhile.

cowboy300

WKR
I practice out to 90 daily before season and about a month out switch to broadheads and alot of "cold" 1 shot hunting scenarios on a 3d target at odd distances with no warm up shots. Best practice for hunting there is.

I'm at 100 yards now. Not hitting much, but it really forces me to make sure your form and release technique is perfect. Punching the trigger at 100 yards has much worse results than punching at 30. I'm using a case of beer box as a target and judo points so that I can recover my arrows until I can build a 4 x 4 forever target.

My only cautionary tale is this: My first elk season I was confident at 30 yards and trying to work my way out to 40. I would come back to camp around lunchtime and practice at 40 yards. One evening I had a cow walk by at about 15 yards and I, shaking like a leaf, put my 40 yard pin on her and fired even higher than I would've had I been using my 10 yard pin. Never did find her, and I still feel bad about that. The point is, don't get so used to shooting one pin and forget that other pins go with other distances.

This is why I shoot each arrow at a different distance. Despite having a slider for 3 years now I still forget to adjust it now and then and put an arrow in the dirt or a part of my basement I don't want it. :(

boom

WKR
i love 80 yards. why? that is the longest i have at my range. plus that 100 yarder is a PIA to walk back and forth from all day. i even jog it sometimes.

desertcj

WKR
I shoot 4-5 times a week during the summer. Almost always at 60yds as that's the farthest I can shoot at my place. I switch to broadheads about a month before hunting season and still shoot at 60. I would shoot out to 100yds if I had the room, but 60 is far enough to keep me on track.

I shot 60 for the past month. 5 days a week at least, weather permitting. I shoot at a Glendel buck with a foam block behind it. Have yet to need the foam block backstop, so earlier this week i moved to 70. From here til closer to season ill be shooting 75 as my practice distance.

BradNSW

FNG
Pracitce mostly 20-40.

Why? I have a single pin slider set at 30 I use it for 0-40 yd shot, where most of my elk encounters occur. Don't adjust it, just hold hi/low That's where I spend most of my time practicing, so it's second nature.

On a hunt, anything over 30 I'll range and adjust my pin if it looks feasible. Never had a situation where didn't have time to adjust the pin if the deer/elk was past 40yds.

Occasionally (once a month) I'll go out to 70 to 75 yds just to confirm form.