practice distance

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what distance everyone is practicing at on a regular basis? Longer distances only or do you do close work also? I've been working on tightening up my groups at 70 yards and have been exclusively shooting at that distance but wondering if I should also be shooting at closer ranges, especially after fatigue starts to kick in. So, what works for you guys?

Brendan

WKR
I practice as long as my range allows me - but also do rounds of alternating distance. For example - one at each of 20,30,40,50,60 back to 30 or 40. I'll also every once in a while pound away at 20 or 30 with a bare shaft or shoot a 60 arrow 300 round at 20 to work on form and consistency. Then - add in known distance and unknown 3D, which I try to do more and more of as I get closer to the season.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My first shot is always at 40 or further, then every shot after that is as well.;)

I rarely ever shoot less than 40. If I had the room, I'd probably rarely ever shoot less than 80. I like longer range shooting. Another thing......I don't shoot "for practice", I just shoot.......because I like shooting. And when you do that enough times, it gets engrained in you and just becomes natural so you don't need to think about what you're doing.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
my philosophy is that the better you are at long range the better you will be at shorter ranges,,,

I do shoot a variety though, just to "make sure" on how the shot looks from each range (sight alignment if using sights, gap, "instinctive" whatever),,,,,,but more time at longer ranges helps shorter ranges as well,,,,

so I often shoot at longer ranges in practice than I would ever think about in the field on live game,,,,

I usually shoot at 40 to almost 90. I'll grab my arrows and just start walking back until I feel like stopping and get a range and shoot. Occasionally I'll come in to 20 to 30 just to make sure I'm set but I think its more fun to shoot at longer distances and makes the shorter shots much more managable.

SWOHTR

WKR
I'm limited in ability at home - max out around 15-20 yards. So, my tolerance for a "hit" is very low. I am able to practice at 70-80 at the range once or twice per week; trying to find a place to practice at 90-100.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'll shoot a few shots at 60 yds. More importantly and beneficial to me is the 0 to 5 yds shot practice. That way when the time comes I don't think about bending at the waist, it just happens automatically.

Dameon

WKR
I have a 30 yard range in my backyard. I average between 50 to 150 arrows a day at least 5 days a week. I love to shoot, so the distance doesn't really matter to me most days. But because I have a disabled wife and two kids, I don't get anytime to head out to the range like I used to (wife's disease is progressive). On the rare occasion I do get to go to a real range, my favorite practice distance is 60 yards as that is where I am still very accurate but the distance is long enough to reveal any form flaws that I may need to work on. 70 yards and greater is a real challenge for me and where I would prefer to do the bulk of my practice if given the time and choice. After practicing at longer distances, shots at 50 yards and less almost feel like give-mes.

I practice from 20 to around 80. I put my RF around my neck and stop at random distances, range, shoot, adj sight, and repeat.

Jimbob

WKR
I love practicing at 60-90 yds for working on form and release but I think the most effective practice (for hunting) is done at a 3D target or a 3d range (any distance). Shooting a target with a nice dot to aim at is not great practice for hunting. Shoot at a 3d deer target at 37 yds is excellent practice. You need to know your pin gaps and where to hold on the animal. So practicing different angles and judging yardages all within your typical hunting ranges is the best practice.

I am geographically constrained. I shoot 10 yards in my basement and try to hit 3/4 inch dots. I have an indoor range that I can do 20 nearly the house. When I can get to the outdoor range i shoot 20-80.

For the shorter distances I will focus on form and mechanics. I also challenge myself by shooting "sets" for time, like 4-6 arrows in a minute. Or I will draw and hold for 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Or do burppees and then shoot.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The longer the better.
Once everything is dialed in and the bow is putting arrows where I want them, I gravitate towards longer shots. The last three days I have not shot under 100. I leave for work right at daylight and I at minimum shoot one arrow at 100-120 cold every morning. Very similar to Robby's Cold bow Challenge. As summer progresses and I get more time, I will shoot more in the evenings and will do similar one shot routine at all ranges with BHs.
Nothing has helped my confidence more.

I'm at 100 yards now. Not hitting much, but it really forces me to make sure your form and release technique is perfect. Punching the trigger at 100 yards has much worse results than punching at 30. I'm using a case of beer box as a target and judo points so that I can recover my arrows until I can build a 4 x 4 forever target.

My only cautionary tale is this: My first elk season I was confident at 30 yards and trying to work my way out to 40. I would come back to camp around lunchtime and practice at 40 yards. One evening I had a cow walk by at about 15 yards and I, shaking like a leaf, put my 40 yard pin on her and fired even higher than I would've had I been using my 10 yard pin. Never did find her, and I still feel bad about that. The point is, don't get so used to shooting one pin and forget that other pins go with other distances.

OP
L

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to keep shooting at 70 and 80 and then finish the sessions at a close range just to get more shots in. I've got room for upwards of 100 yards but only have pins to 80.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
I think it's important to mix it up in regards to ranges as other posters have mentioned. I make sure to walk to random distances, judge, confirm with RF, then shoot by gapping pins. I'd love it if an elk walked gave me a shot at 50, but I need to know what to do if it's 46 or 57.

I shoot a 3 pin slider with 30-40-50 pins and am good to 60 without moving the housing.

Shooting out beyond where you'd normally take a shot at an animal is good. I enjoy practicing out to 90. Much further and I will get vane contact on my housing.

Rolando

FNG
I'm at 100 yards now. Not hitting much, but it really forces me to make sure your form and release technique is perfect. Punching the trigger at 100 yards has much worse results than punching at 30. I'm using a case of beer box as a target and judo points so that I can recover my arrows until I can build a 4 x 4 forever target.

My only cautionary tale is this: My first elk season I was confident at 30 yards and trying to work my way out to 40. I would come back to camp around lunchtime and practice at 40 yards. One evening I had a cow walk by at about 15 yards and I, shaking like a leaf, put my 40 yard pin on her and fired even higher than I would've had I been using my 10 yard pin. Never did find her, and I still feel bad about that. The point is, don't get so used to shooting one pin and forget that other pins go with other distances.

Excellent advice. I shot at 40 yards about 90% of the time last summer and almost fell into that trap during hunting season.

jmez

WKR
Pin order is important in distance. I've had the same color order on all my sights from 20-60 yards for years now. If the sight doesn't come with my preferred order I move them or order a custom head. Been shooting the same head so long it is basically automatic for pin and distance.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The point is, don't get so used to shooting one pin and forget that other pins go with other distances.

This is the one thing I don't like about 3D shoots. I could shoot every single target with my 30 yard pin, dead on, or aiming high or low on every single target. I have 7 pins, I'd really like to use them.....even in a 3D tourney.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord