Always have a Backup Bow!!!

Brendan

WKR
If you don't have a backup bow that is tuned and set up just as well as your primary - get one... I will never chance a hunt without one now.

I've followed that advice a little loosely the last couple years, but this week I finally had a situation that would have ended a hunt if the season was too close and I didn't have a backup. My 2016 Hoyt is back at the dealer for some warranty work for about 10 days, needing a part from Hoyt, not shootable until it gets back. Once it's back - I'll need to set it up and tune it from scratch again.

No blame on Hoyt at all, I've always considered them super durable, but sometimes shit happens even with the best gear and that's why you have a warranty - but a warranty won't help you if you're at a trailhead or getting ready to leave.

There's my advice for the day - you've been warned :D

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Don't think your getting off that easy. Tell us what happened =)

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Fairly spectacular limb failure while I was at full draw pulling into the wall. 2016 Carbon Defiant Turbo - 72lb. Riser and Cams look completely fine unless they find something on further inspection.

Either a bad luck manufacturing defect, or some damage that I didn't realize or know about sometime over the last year and a half (Possible, but unlikely).

Not faulting Hoyt, they are taking care of it, but no piece of equipment is infallible. Just glad it happened now and not September!

This is the second story I have heard about a back up bow being wished for. But the first story was from a sales person, so I was skeptical. Are there any other stories out there? I only have 1 bow and have 3 tags starting in August. That's 3 weeks of hunting.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I absolutely won't leave home for a hunt with out a back up but I hunt for 12 weeks 1500 miles from home. I also have extra sets of strings and cables for each bow all dialed in with a peep, nock sets and loop tied in along with sight tapes dialed in to those particular strings. To prep all year long for a marathon type season so far from home, I am not willing to trust that everything will be fine or that there will be a shop close by to help.
If I am hunting in my home state, the back up stays home.
It depends on your situation.

This is the second story I have heard about a back up bow being wished for. But the first story was from a sales person, so I was skeptical. Are there any other stories out there? I only have 1 bow and have 3 tags starting in August. That's 3 weeks of hunting.

Sodbuster

WKR
Kinda like guns,multiple backup bows are the answer.
Primary and second string are the same manufacturer.Third string is a different brand.

Most importantly, all are fully set up with like accessories and tuned for hunting.

Beendare

WKR
Well Brendon is one of those guys that always gives good advice.....

I have gone on hunts without a backup- but had a portable press, string/ cables etc. as the few failures ive seen are string related. i think Brendon brings up a good point a guy always needs to consider, "where would you be if xxx hapened on your hunt?"

I have never needed a backup in 28 years but have had one ready off and on. Currently don't have one but will probably get a new bow next year and keep my current set up as a backup.

bohntr

WKR
I've always had a back-up bow.....set up EXACTLY as my primary. I can switch over the quiver, stabilizer, and arrows without any affect on accuracy and/or confidence. My back-up bow is the same bow as my primary (yes, I buy two).

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Gotta be honest - this is the first time I've needed a backup. I think most of the things you'll run into are a rest coming loose, sight getting knocked out of alignment, maybe fraying a string - all of which are repairable with the right tools. And I've had to do minor things using my toolkit that I carry into the field. Like Tony - I've also brought extra strings and cables in the past and a portable press that get left in the truck.

But - this was the one in a million that none of those tools would've saved. Chances you'll need it are slim, but just think about prepping all year for a hunt and then having it screwed up by something you could've controlled...

My backup is not currently the exact same as my primary (because I like trying out different bows), but it uses the same sight, same arrows, same rest, same quiver mount, same stabilizers, and gets tuned the same.

bohntr

WKR
This was two years ago........when my buddy forgot he set his bow down near his truck after arriving in the dark.....then proceeded to back over it. Good thing there was a back-up bow in camp.......no press will help you here. :)

P1040078.jpg

I am going into my third season so quite a nube compared to most. I had an issue with my only bow last year. It kept me out of the woods the first week of season and I had to scramble to sight in fast and get hunting. I now have a backup.

elkguide

WKR
I haven't had an issue for the last 25 years..............................

BUT

25 years ago, I had a limb explode the night before opening day.

Fortunately the bow shop owner's wife was at home the next morning (and awake at 7:00!) and he happened to have a spare set of limbs in the shop so I only lost the morning's hunt. I have never been without a backup since.

I also had a hunter ride on horseback the 30 miles to base camp, have his release blow up the first day of the 8 day elk hunt.

So call me crazy but when I head out hunting, whether it is just down behind the barn or 2500 miles across the country or even with the ridiculous airline weight restrictions going to New Zealand...... I have a back up release, bow or rifle.

Absolutely Yes to a back up bow, fully set with its own accessories if possible- and tuned and dialed.
I blew up a set of limbs earlier this year, destroyed the bearings in the cam, broke the cable slide, and ruined my buss cable.

I have also had binos go down (right eye piece would no longer focus).
- thought about an extra set

Once you have something break, and impact your hunt, you never want to go thru that again and plan accordingly.

We cant have 2 of everything, but your weapon is really the one thing you gotta have, ohhh and your ammo
:)

I survived the hunt w/o binos, but wouldn't have if the bow went down.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
Had two limb failures on my btx 31 last year and would have missed most of hunting season if I hadn't kept my wrath sho tuned up. Having a back up is not a bad idea when you own a bowtech :)

Dameon

WKR
I have two different bows tuned, sighted in, and ready to hunt. I've done enough stupid things in life to know that Murphy's Law still rules the roost and that if it weren't for bad luck, I just wouldn't have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk