Black gold ascent verdict guys

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Picking up a 5 pin Ascent verdict and wondering if I should be purchasing a dovetail as well? Looks like there are a couple options
X frame base or a 4" dovetail
Never shot with one so honestly I have no clue ? Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
The 4" dovetail isn't really worth it. If you want a dovetail go with the 6". Otherwise I'd just opt for the regular mount as it offers 3 mounting positions and plenty of length.

JC84

FNG
I have the 3 pin with the 6" dovetail I shoot it out a little
Further one good thing about a dovetail is you can take the sight off while hiking or horseback so it's less chance
To bump something off

Dovetail has third axis, don't think the regular base does. Also, nice to remove to work on your bow, etc.

cowboy300

WKR
I have the 2017 with standard X base and it has 3rd Axis. Also I agree 4" dovetail would be a waste as the standard X frame is actually a hair longer extended than the 4" dovetail and comes standard now with 3rd axis. Only thing you would gain is the ability to take your sight on and off and little more fine tuning to your peep with the dovetail.

OP
L

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input . Taking my sight off and on is not that appealing to me , think I will stick with the standard
Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
I have the 6" dove tail. Wish I would have bought the standard. I see no benefit in a hunting bow to stick the site that far out.

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
3 pin with the 6 " dovetail here too . It slides in as to fit in my case too where it might not if it was permanently attached depending on your case . Love the sight . Just wish my eyes were 20 years younger lol .

I have the 2017 with standard X base and it has 3rd Axis. Also I agree 4" dovetail would be a waste as the standard X frame is actually a hair longer extended than the 4" dovetail and comes standard now with 3rd axis. Only thing you would gain is the ability to take your sight on and off and little more fine tuning to your peep with the dovetail.

Cowboy, Interesting that the Black Gold Ascent webpage indicates under specifications that the dovetail mounts are the only ones that are third axix adjustable? I've got the 2016 4" dovetail so was only going off their specs.

Note that I bought the the dovetail to put the sight head closer to the riser for less vulnerability when sheep hunting, not to stick it further out. Also wanted the third axis adjustability. Sounds like their online specs may be dated if they are offering third axis in all bases.

Good luck this fall!

Ordered a dovetail for mine but sent it back. Causes the sight housing to move inward to the riser causing it to slide further out (almost to the end of adjustment).

I have a 2014 model, and it has 3rd axis.

Roadrunner, The 2016 Ascent on the dovetail can be screwed down left to right in a couple of different lateteral locations to allow centering the sight ring and dovetail slide unit. It has extra holes to screw to. Sounds like constant evolution of a good sight.