Anyone use a bow string seperator

NYSKIER

WKR
Looking to potential add a bow string separator tool to my emergency kit in case my peep ever falls out when I am in the field. Anyone have any experience or input on these?

The issue with them is you run a chance of damaging your strings. Never used one but had customers (back in a different life) that would come from another shop because they used a separator instead of pressing the bow and cut strands of the string. The other shop replaced the strings free of charge, but customers lose confidence when they watch a tech damage their string. I'd rather have to take a few hours to get the bow pressed and a peep put in than wait for days on a new set of threads.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only time I've used one is when the bow is in the press and the string isn't tight. I'd just make sure your peep is tied in well. My peep couldn't "fall" out if it wanted to.

I won't use one unless the bow is pressed and then it's really not needed. Now in the middle of a hunt I'd do it as a last resort.

jmez

WKR
As said above, they don't work well without the bow being pressed. Many moons ago I ruined a string trying to put a peep in with one with the bow unpressed.

In a pinch you could draw the bow and have someone slip the separator in while at full draw. There is no tension on the string when the bow is drawn. Just be careful on the let down if you try this.

garrete

FNG
I have one dont use it anymore. I just bring a portable bow press that stays in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys. Wasn't expecting my peep to come out but you never know and I didn't want it to ruin a hunt for me. I'll do a little research into some portable presses. Just trying to add on to my emergency kit for trips