Broadhead help

Will_m

WKR
Got it. Yeah, back when all I did was shoot and hunt I got super proficient out to 125 with a fixed pin sight and a 95# bow. I'd prefer to shoot most critters between 20-40 but when you run out of cover you got to muster all that practice and confidence and play your hand. I'd never profess to be excellent, more technically competent than anything else - basically if this happens, then how/where do I adjust. When I got into doing all these trips I learned to strip a bow down and repair it in the field quite well. But that was years back. Hell I cant even use my portable press on my bow. I have no idea other than jerry-rigging a block and tackle how I'd change my string/cables if something happened. As nice as these new bows are, I miss being able to take my string off the teardrops LOL

Howard Hill used to kill them at 100 with his recurve... or so it was said.

Seriously though, what was your exact setup when you were doing that -- broadheads, rest, etc. I want to know not because I doubt you, but because I want to copy you.

Way off subject but Howard Hill was a famous longbow shooter........I think he once said he wasn't a good enough archer to shoot a recurve accurately.......probably was advertising for the longbows he sold.

garrete

FNG
Mathews NoCam 70# 29.5" FMJ 300 125gr tips 245fps had the top hat spacers adjusted so I'm tuned super well to these arrows. Broadheads were spinning true on brand new arrows. I watched the first arrow completely bank at 50 yards and thought it was me. Shot again and it did the same thing. Literally hit 40 yards and banked at like a 30* angle. Grabbed a Spitfire and it hit right where my field point did. Up to 50 the Slick Trick shot spot on. Other than prepping for this trip I've never shot them before.

Your description of arrow flight sounds like an out of tune bow. Fixed blade broadheads have a way of pointing out problems you didn't know you had. I would shoot through paper, and double check fletching clearance on both your cables and rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will_m

WKR
Has anyone tested the fps different in broadheads and field points?

For example, would drag on a three or four blade broadhead cause it to dissipate speed faster than a field point and lead to unavoidable drop at longer ranges? Could that cause any problems for OP at longer ranges as far as his elevation POI?

OP
M

mtnhntr

WKR
Your description of arrow flight sounds like an out of tune bow. Fixed blade broadheads have a way of pointing out problems you didn't know you had. I would shoot through paper, and double check fletching clearance on both your cables and rest.

I also dug up a couple solid 2 blade Magnus I use to use exclusively, but am currently out of and other than shooting about 2 in low at 50 are spot on. My archery shop buddies and I have looked this over seven ways from Sunday... We're all out of explanations and with me leaving next week and the Hypodermics being spot on out to my max of 70 for this hunt, we're leaving it along until I get back. I was up on the roof shooting today trying to get elevation (I live in MI and will be hunting S09 in Colorado for bighorns the first week of season) and was dropping them in a 6" group out to 70. that's about as good as it's going to get for me. I'd really, really prefer a shot 40 and under but am comfortable out to 70.

OP
M

mtnhntr

WKR

For example, would drag on a three or four blade broadhead cause it to dissipate speed faster than a field point and lead to unavoidable drop at longer ranges? Could that cause any problems for OP at longer ranges as far as his elevation POI?

I have a chrono, but have never compared FPs to BHs before. Maybe when I get back I'll play with it. At this point in the game, and with my buddies and I drawing blanks on what's up I think it might be time to upgrade to a new model anyways and start from the ground up. But I'm going to do a little homework on grips. This Mathew's is so flipping finicky on the grip, and I'd like to find something a little more forgiving for my next bow. I found the original Hoyt "tec" models to be very relaxed and allowed the shooter some latitude. We shall see, but I gotta go kill a sheep first - first legal ram within range will be a dead ram!!

jmez

WKR

Usually start to see BH's start to drop below your FP's around 80 yards.

Will_m

WKR
I also dug up a couple solid 2 blade Magnus I use to use exclusively, but am currently out of and other than shooting about 2 in low at 50 are spot on. My archery shop buddies and I have looked this over seven ways from Sunday... We're all out of explanations and with me leaving next week and the Hypodermics being spot on out to my max of 70 for this hunt, we're leaving it along until I get back. I was up on the roof shooting today trying to get elevation (I live in MI and will be hunting S09 in Colorado for bighorns the first week of season) and was dropping them in a 6" group out to 70. that's about as good as it's going to get for me. I'd really, really prefer a shot 40 and under but am comfortable out to 70.

I was also having some broadhead tuning issues and while my 4 blade magnus still hits a few inches lower than my fp's beginning at 50, my two blade heads fly exactly with my field points.

I don't really have an explanation for that either, though I'm sure someone more competent could have them all grouping together.

Brendan

WKR
Different broadhead designs will have different amounts of drag, some will drop more than others. Same deal with fletching configurations. Only real way to know for sure is to get out and test. Differences may be small, if any at shorter ranges, so you need to be accurate enough to stretch it out so you can tell the difference. Or, use a shooting machine.

garrete

FNG

Try checking your cam timing. One other thing to check is that your ata and brace height are within specs. You never know...

Something has to be screwed up though. Slick tricks are simple to tune in my experience.

I had an issue 2 years ago that I didn't notice until I screwed broadheads on. Suddenly every third or forth arrow would have erratic flight. Eventually I found that my rest was occasionally hanging up causing fletching contact.

Best of luck on your hunt!

TheCougar

WKR
I'm not going to try and solve your tuning issues, because I'm not qualified. I can however tell you that I just started shooting QAD Exodus swept blades and they hit with my FP and mechanicals when other fixed blade broadheads don't. I was seriously impressed with them. I'm not sure why they fly better than other fixed blades, but they do from my setup. They are a bit pricy, but I'm sold on them.

Beendare

WKR
So you never solved it...that sucks. Nonbody wants to hear this...but Its a tuning or form problem....I would have someone watch you shoot for form problems...and if thats good then work with a good tuner.

Best of luck on your hunt.

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
So you never solved it...that sucks. Nonbody wants to hear this...but Its a tuning or form problem....I would have someone watch you shoot for form problems...and if thats good then work with a good tuner.

Best of luck on your hunt.

I had an issue with my broadheads last year. Switching to trophy taker t-locks helped but it was still off some.

In the end I took my bow to be re-tuned, had a lesson and tweaked my form.

Tilzbow

WKR
I know you said you have no fletch contact but I had very similar problem a few years ago. FBBH and field points hit right together out to 45 yards. At 50 the FBBH were 8" low and left and at 60 I couldn't keep them on the target. Turned out my bottom left fletch was just nicking the rest, fixed that and everything cleared up.

Another weird issue I had that caused a similar problem was shooting into a Blob target. The Blob I had was made from material that contained sand and the sand actually removed some of the front 3" - 4" of the shaft weakened the spine and caused horrible down range flight with FBBH. The target and 1/2 dozen arrows ended up in the land fill.