Review: Iron Will Outfitters Broadhead

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide staff Les Welch and his son Hunter have been taking us along on some great adventures the last couple years. They live in Wisconsin but know how to get it done all over the West. Les knows that one very important part of a successful archery hunt is the broadhead he chooses to shoot. Over the years he has used many of the top brands. This season Les has been testing the Iron Will Outfitters Broadheads. Give his great article a read to find out how they match up with the others.

Review: Iron Will Outfitters Broadhead

attachment.php

Last edited:

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! I am currently shooting Solid 125s but with their continued price raising, I am looking to try new broadheads. These are still pricey but are similar enough that they might do the trick... Until they follow the same price path.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Thanks for the review Les, I bought a pack of these a few weeks ago. I was impressed, they spin tested great, fly fantastic and are sharp as hell!
They are exactly what I was looking for and will be in quiver this year and the foreseeable future.

Brendan

WKR
I'd be interested in two things from people who shoot these so far - noise - and forgiveness?

Noise is self explanatory, but forgiveness is how tolerant they are of a bad shot or slightly torquing the bow. Here's my example - a VPA will hit dead on with my field points when I do my job, but has always been a less forgiving head for me, and will plane off course further when I don't execute a perfect shot as compared to a head like a Wac 'Em or a Solid. And then, mechanicals usually being the most forgiving with the smallest downrange groups.

Comments?

colersu22

WKR
I really liked the review Les and the video of that hunt was something to remember for your some.

I have a question for you and others that use this style head, how hard is it to sharpen and have you shot them into a Rinehart target? How are they to pull from the dense foam?

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be interested in two things from people who shoot these so far - noise - and forgiveness?

Noise is self explanatory, but forgiveness is how tolerant they are of a bad shot or slightly torquing the bow. Here's my example - a VPA will hit dead on with my field points when I do my job, but has always been a less forgiving head for me, and will plane off course further when I don't execute a perfect shot as compared to a head like a Wac 'Em or a Solid. And then, mechanicals usually being the most forgiving with the smallest downrange groups.

Comments?

They are a very tolerant head. I've shot them over 100 yards without issue. I shoot a Mathews Halon 32 at 72# with 6" brace height. I fling 400 FMJ's at 28", with 3 blazers.

They are working on the noise right now, they aren't bad at all currently, but there is some stuff being done to improve them. It's not something that I can talk about however. They only place I would currently compensate a little would be on touch water hole antelope at extreme distances.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really liked the review Les and the video of that hunt was something to remember for your some.

I have a question for you and others that use this style head, how hard is it to sharpen and have you shot them into a Rinehart target? How are they to pull from the dense foam?

Pretty simple to sharpen, and I have not shot them into a Rinehart. I don't ever shoot into my 3D targets. I could shoot into one tonight and video it for you if interested.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! I am currently shooting Solid 125s but with their continued price raising, I am looking to try new broadheads. These are still pricey but are similar enough that they might do the trick... Until they follow the same price path.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yes these are definitely less expensive than the Solid, and once you put one in your hand and compare it the Solid you will ask yourself why is it less expensive, it shouldn't be. Nothing against the Solid, but this head, IMO, is far superior.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I shoot these daily into a Rinehart 18-1 target. It stops them better than other targets I've used and they pull back out just fine.
Also, I find the straight edges easy to touch up on a fine grit flat stone, but I've had a lot of practice and would be interested to hear what others think.

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks for the review Les! I'm a mechanical guy but I'm hunting elk in Idaho this fall and I have to use fixed. Gonna have to give these a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les - Have you noticed any corrosion spots on your broadheads? I bought 3 in August and only shot them at my block target maybe 10-15 times each at various distances and was very happy with the accuracy. However, I noticed 2 of the 3 heads had corrosion spots on them after a few weeks whereas the other head looked like new. Well, I just returned from hunting and managed to shoot a bull (with the broadhead that didn't snow any spots). I recovered the broadhead from inside the body cavity as it was a frontal shot, and noticed the very tip of the broadhead was broken off. I mean the very tippy tip was broken so a very small piece. I was going to have the company look at it but unfortunately I think a friend that helped me pack out tossed it in with my trash from the killsite as I've not found it. Here's a couple photos of the 2 other heads that I've had in my quiver, so I was interested to see if any of your heads are showing spots?broadhead1a.jpgbroadhead1b.jpgbroadhead2a.jpgbroadhead2b.jpg
BTW, they were showing the corrosion spots before I even went hunting so they were in my bowcase at home and not really exposed to humid or wet conditions so it kind of surprised me.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
A2 isn't stainless, some rust is to be expected. I would remove it with some finer scotch bright then give a a good coat of oil with a rag.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will take a look tonight. Those in my quiver have seen rain, snow, hail, humidity, and sun over the last month. I'll let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A2 steel has less corrosion resistance than stainless steel. It has 5% chromium, so a good amount of corrosion resistance, but not the >13% chromium of SS. The benefit is that it has far superior mechanical properties when both high hardness (edge sharpness & edge retention) and high impact strength are needed. We did laboratory salt spray testing to industry standards and found that A2 performed similar to 420SS in the number of days before damaging corrosion (pitting) occurred, but surface spots do show up sooner. After five days in a wet quiver, I've found these spots to be just at the surface and can be easily removed with a plastic scraper, Scotchbrite pad or metal polish with no damage to the base metal. The factory puts a light coat of food grade (oderless) mineral oil on the blades. This can be re-applied with use to further improve corrosion resistance. Tony Trietch recommended Boeshields T-9 for a dry, protective coating. This seems to be a great product which I plan to begin testing soon.

Thanks Bill - Most of it came off with a light Brillo pad. Still a little concern with the spots on the blades that are visible. I'll keep some oil on them and see how they fare.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I should add that all steels can get rust spots, including stainless steels, especially when salt water or blood are present. After cutting through an animal, I clean my broadheads just like my knives before storage. I flush it off with water, then wipe it with isopropyl alcohol to clean and dry it, then wipe on a very thin coat of mineral oil to improve corrosion resistance. Re-using broadheads is a new concept to many people, but I've been doing it for years with these heads.
We have posted videos on our Youtube channel on touching up edges, thorough sharpening, assembly, cleaning & care. (Iron Will Outfitters
- YouTube
)

Last edited:

chujing

FNG
Thanks for the review Les, I bought a pack of these a few weeks ago. I was impressed, they spin tested great, fly fantastic and are sharp as hell!
They are exactly what I was looking for and will be in quiver this year and the foreseeable future.

Sir, curious if you’re using the vented or solid and why. Thank you

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Since 2017 I have tried both and had similar results. Just last season I set up my primary bow with the solid and my backup bow with the vented. I killed game with both. Honestly I still haven't found much difference other than a little bit of noise from the vented. That noise has not cost me an animal to date.
I will most likely use both again this year.

chujing

FNG
Since 2017 I have tried both and had similar results. Just last season I set up my primary bow with the solid and my backup bow with the vented. I killed game with both. Honestly I still haven't found much difference other than a little bit of noise from the vented. That noise has not cost me an animal to date.
I will most likely use both again this year.
Thank you, I appreciate the info