New Arrows Black Eagle?

Stwrt9

WKR
I'm looking at getting some new arrows for this up coming year. I've been shooting Carbon Express Maxima Reds and have been happy with them. I was thinking of trying out some Black Eagle Spartans but i'm not overly sold on what to get. Should i stick with the maxima reds or give the Black eagles a try? Has anyone else made a similar switch? Or should i be considering a different arrow?

for reference i shoot a Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT 30 70# 28" Draw

Thanks in advance, Josh

OR Archer

WKR
The Spartan is a good shaft. I'd prefer a bit more physical weight for a hunting arrow though.

I'm shooting Spartans and they fly great for me. Honestly I can't say if you should or shouldn't make the switch. If the Maxima's have worked for you I can't say you need to make the switch. If you're doing it just to try something different, then Spartans are great to play with.

OP
Stwrt9

Stwrt9

WKR
I'm shooting Spartans and they fly great for me. Honestly I can't say if you should or shouldn't make the switch. If the Maxima's have worked for you I can't say you need to make the switch. If you're doing it just to try something different, then Spartans are great to play with.

the reason for the possible switch is i def need to purchase some more arrows for this year. While i like the Maxima's they seem to shoot just ok. So i'm not totally sold on them. And the Spartans seem to be close in GPI based on the charts for MR 350's vs BE 300. i could be wrong though.

OP
Stwrt9

Stwrt9

WKR
Is there another alternative arrow i should be considering that is similar in weight to the maxima reds?

OP
Stwrt9

Stwrt9

WKR
What is the total arrow weight you're looking for? My Spartans come out rite at 450 grains cut at 28", wrapped, 4 fletched, and a 125gr head.

I'm not really sure I've never gotten all that technical with my arrows. I think my maxima's are 462 grains I think there 27.75" wrapped quick spin vanes and 100gr heads. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what the guy at the archery shop told me the other day. He said I was about 12gr heavy from where he usually likes to keep them but said it wouldn't make much if a difference. I'm also looking at 300's in black eagle

Tilzbow

WKR
I've had real good experiences with Black Eagle arrows and have found the spine consistency to be excellent. I'll be switching from Deep Impacts to Spartans the next time I need new arrows. The outserts on the Deep Impacts are a pain.

Last edited:
OP
Stwrt9

Stwrt9

WKR
I have real good experiences with Black Eagle arrows and have found the spine consistency to be excellent. I'll be switching from Deep Impacts to Spartans the next time I need new arrows. The outserts on the Deep Impacts are a pain.

That's what I've heard regarding the outserts and why I was thinking Spartans.

Dkd

FNG
My son and I have been shooting the Spartans for over a year and love them. We fletch them ourselves. Using their weighted inserts as well which took a little getting used to. If you don't want an insert sliding around in the shaft after a shot or two.... Loctite any threads with the weights and insert when you glue them in. We used to shoot Gold tip and are going through a lot less arrows...

HookUp

WKR
I shoot a 4 fletch 300 spine spartan with 100 grain head on a 28" draw length. Arrows are right at 445 grains with no added weight.