Bow release recommendations?

Slingshot

FNG
Currently shooting a 6 or 7 year old tru fire release. It is starting to come apart so I better buy a new one. What brand or style would you recommend for hunting elk in the mountains?

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched to a spot hog wise guy rigid with buckle strap. It's much nicer than my scott. The trigger is really sensitive on the wise guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tilzbow

WKR
Carter "Like Mike". I use back tension to trigger this release and the fact the trigger is adjustable up to 5# is perfect for this style of shooting. The trigger travel is also fully adjustable and it's extremely well built.

Using the hair trigger releases can lead to target panic, drive by shooting and a host of other issues with certain personality types. Others have no problems.

Tilzbow

WKR
I use the Carter RX-1 for a wrist/index finger release. For a hinge I use the Honey 2.
VERY happy with them.

I used the RX2 for a few years and really like it but it got jammed up with tundra on one hunt and during a Stone Sheep hunt the C clip popped out on a stalk. Luckily I had a backup in my pocket and was able to switch it out quickly. The Like Mike seems less likely to have these issues but it's not as easy to reset after the shot as the RX1 & RX2.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
Since you mentioned hunting in the mountains, I always carry a backup release in case of loss or malfunction since I would most likely miss out on a couple days of hunting obtaining a replacement. I've had good luck with the Carter Rx-1.

I just started using the spot Hogg Keeton. So far it is aw some. I don't have more than 50 shots with it but so far I like it. There is a learning curve but I couldn't get past using a hinge for hunting so this is the hand held benefit with the jaws of the wrist rocket

garrete

FNG
Carter "Like Mike". I use back tension to trigger this release and the fact the trigger is adjustable up to 5# is perfect for this style of shooting. The trigger travel is also fully adjustable and it's extremely well built.

Using the hair trigger releases can lead to target panic, drive by shooting and a host of other issues with certain personality types. Others have no problems.

+1 on the like Mike!

I also had issue with a hair trigger release. Now I just need to find a hinge I like for practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
I would shoot as many as you can. Nock2it, silverback, Truball HT, Carter RX-1. I have a spott hawg wise guy I can't shoot that hair trigger more than a few times without punching.

Trial153

WKR
May want to get a couple more. They quit making them.

Yes I am on the look out for another at a decent price.
I also picked up a spot Hogg however I haven't been able to adjust the trigger heavy enough with zero travel.

Brendan

WKR
Agree with some of the comments above - get one with a trigger you can adjust heavy enough you can put your finger on it, and pull through the shot when you're ready. One of the biggest improvements in my shooting was getting rid of my hair trigger caliper release.

I like the Carter RX1 and Hamskea Drop Tine for Index Releases. Carter Nock2It / Wise Choice for Thumb Trigger. Silverback / Evolution+ for tension. Have never tried a hinge, maybe after the hunting season is over...

colersu22

WKR
I have been using a Scott little goose for a couple years now and planned on picking up another for a backup. I have no complaints about it but I have only used the little goose and a very cheap trufire when I first started shooting 8 years ago so I am no expert.

desertcj

WKR
I use a Scott Samurai but I put it on a tru ball quick release wrist strap. I'm pretty happy with it. I don't really understand why people have such a hard time with trigger releases. Hair trigger on a rifle is thumbs up, but hair trigger on a release is no good?

Brendan

WKR
I don't really understand why people have such a hard time with trigger releases. Hair trigger on a rifle is thumbs up, but hair trigger on a release is no good?

Because an archery shot and a rifle shot arent exactly the same. But think about it - on a rifle you still want a couple pounds, smooth pull, clean break so you don't anticipate the shot.

If you're trying to float the pin, use back tension, and have a somewhat surprise release - a hair trigger makes that hard and can promote target panic.

Now, if you just aim and hammer the trigger - it doesn't matter :D

TheTone

WKR
Carter 2 shot with a heavy spring in it. I've been considering picking up a Like Mike but need to actually see what my trigger pull is on my current ones to see if I can set up the Like Mike with a similar pull weight.