Punching the release, but no target panic?

jaredlef

FNG
I've had a few people recently comment to me recently that I'm punching my trigger. I don't really put that much thought into what I'm actually doing with my finger. I (obviously) shoot a wrist release (Cobra Pro Caliper). My shot process is as follows:

1. Draw
2. Settle my rear anchor (index knuckle in crook behind ear)
3. Settle my front anchor (tip of nose on string)
4. Settle pin on target
5. Level sight bubble
6. Resettle pin on target if necessary

During this whole time, my index finger is behind the trigger. Once I'm feeling good about my anchors, I've ensured my sight is leveled, and have the pin floating on the target, I fire without much thought to squeezing the trigger or having the shot surprise me. I just kinda slide my finger over the trigger and pull. I don't find myself focusing intently on burying the pin - I'm pretty content letting it float around my point of aim. I'm also pretty good about my bow arm and not torquing the bow or gripping the riser on release.

Is this classic target panic and a bad habit I should be looking to break? Or can this lead to further bad habits? I guess maybe I don't quite understand what's meant by "target panic." I'm not frantic about getting the shot off as my pin crosses the center of the target. I never stress about shooting a perfect bullseye. What I do look for is good arrow flight and if anything about my shot process (anchors, etc) was off. I can comfortably shoot out to 70 yds with 7-8" groups. I'm very confident under 40 yds.

Any resources you guys can recommend, either instructional videos/articles or equipment (different release, or different type of release), would be appreciated!

Tilzbow

WKR
Can lead to target panic or it might not. A book titled "Idiot Proof Archery" is a great resource and will explain the potential downside of this method. That said this style might never create a problem for you but it did for me.

Are you focused on follow through?

If you are able to shoot accurately while eliminating bad shots due to how you execute your shot currently, why change?

If you wanted to change, since you've been told you have a problem, you would have already :)

Just start resting your index finger on the trigger soon as you get proper sight alignment/bubble/anchor... then execute your shot with a focus on follow through. I can't imagine someone being able to shoot accurately and follow through well while punching the trigger, of course there are people out there that can...

John Dudley talks about this at exhausting length on his NockOn podcast. Very good instruction and he does it on his YouTube channel. His release "silverback " which is a Carter is a resistance activated release. Not hinge, but resistance activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh, and if you don't practice blank bail or real close, with only concentrating on your form and release/follow through, you may be missing out on some of the most basic/beneficial archery practice there is.

jmez

WKR
If you are happy with how you shoot I wouldn't change a thing, nor would I worry much.

Target panic is mental. You don't think you have an issue and shoot well enough to suit you then it's a non issue. If you make it an issue that will likely lead to a problem.

OP
J

jaredlef

FNG
Are you focused on follow through?

If you are able to shoot accurately while eliminating bad shots due to how you execute your shot currently, why change?

If you wanted to change, since you've been told you have a problem, you would have already :)

Just start resting your index finger on the trigger soon as you get proper sight alignment/bubble/anchor... then execute your shot with a focus on follow through. I can't imagine someone being able to shoot accurately and follow through well while punching the trigger, of course there are people out there that can...

Well, I wanted to get an sense from more experienced archers if what I'm doing can lead to any problems. Right now it doesn't seem to be affecting accuracy, but this can become a negative habit in the future, I should get a handle on it now, right?

What do you mean by follow through? I watch my arrow after the release, keep my bow arm raised after the shot, and let the bow drop/tip naturally from my hand. I understand the idea of back tension and stay hard on the back wall during my shot process. I guess I don't quite understand how to execute a back-tension style release while using a wrist/index release.

jmez

WKR
You can't really execute a true back tension release unless you are using a tension release. With that, you keep pulling and when it hits a certain tension it fires.

With a thumb release and a hinge you pull into them but if you hand does not twist and rotate neither one of them will fire. With an index finger release you can pull into it as hard as you want and if your finger does not move it isn't going to depress the trigger. Whether you know it or not you are command firing a hinge, a thumb and an index finger release. It is just more difficult to know you are doing it with the hand held releases.

Tilzbow

WKR
A trigger release can be set off with back tension and not by moving your finger. What happens is you draw, anchor, put some pre-tension on the trigger and establish your sight picture. Once that's all done, start applying back tension. If done properly your wrist will relax slightly, the wrist strap will slip a little, shortening the distance between the strap and the trigger and the release will go off if your finger doesn't move.

HookUp

WKR
There is a handful of people who can punch, but my experience and others I know TP creeps in and your groups open up. You end up fighting your brain as it anticipates the shot. Either your a newer archer or you can command shoot.

A slow controlled surprise release as your pin floats in the target is what is desired. I'd check out Jon Dudleys Nock On Archery on youtube if you are wanting to learn more.

geriggs

WKR
I punch, I have been shooting that way for 15+ years. I'm not going to try and change now. I am an above average shooter. I am not a target archer. I hunt and a little 3d. I have killed some elk and a few deer. Have I missed, yes but not as much as I have hit. I don't sweat it too much. I am confident out to 60 yards.

geriggs

WKR
Also, I find I have target panic more when shooting a 5 spot or spot on a foam target. When I move to 3d I am much happier with how I shoot.

desertcj

WKR
There is a handful of people who can punch, but my experience and others I know TP creeps in and your groups open up. You end up fighting your brain as it anticipates the shot. Either your a newer archer or you can command shoot.

A slow controlled surprise release as your pin floats in the target is what is desired. I'd check out Jon Dudleys Nock On Archery on youtube if you are wanting to learn more.

I have heard this time and time again. My arrow hitting what I'm aiming at is what is desired...lol. I am a command shooter I suppose. I don't punch, but I am definitely in control of when my shot goes off. I shoot guns this way, I shoot a bow this way. I'm nothing special, but at this point in the year I can hit soda cans at 60yds with broadheads so I feel ok going into hunting season.

wapitibob

WKR
Here's a test for you; sometime in the next two weeks have a buddy set one your pant legs on fire.
If you start running around screaming like a little girl, you're a type A and command shooting a release won't be a good choice. Your upside archery potential will also be hindered because your brain will screw you every chance it gets.
If you look down and mumble "looks like my pants are on fire", you're a type B, can shoot however you want, and your upside is unlimited.

desertcj

WKR
Here's a test for you; sometime in the next two weeks have a buddy set one your pant legs on fire.
If you start running around screaming like a little girl, you're a type A and command shooting a release won't be a good choice. Your upside archery potential will also be hindered because your brain will screw you every chance it gets.
If you look down and mumble "looks like my pants are on fire", you're a type B, can shoot however you want, and your upside is unlimited.

Lmao

Tilzbow

WKR
I have honestly never understood the appeal of a surprise release when in a hunting situation.

The appeal is if you're a type A as described above and like me and have/had target panic it's the only way to continue bow hunting. I nearly gave up after 2013 and started rifle hunting but I learned a surprise release and killed two sheep in 2014. The Stone at 80 and the Desert at 40. I found that pretty appealing :D

jmez

WKR

Funny but absolutely true.

cj also makes a good point. Huge difference between hunting and target archery accuracy demands.