Arrow Question

Tag_Soup

WKR
I am looking at setting up a new hunting arrow and was hoping someone with a bit more experience could help me out. I am wanting to get a fairly high FOC and stay between 460 - 500 grains. I will be flinging these with a Hoyt Vector 32 at 72 lbs and 29" draw length. My intended specs/components are:

Shaft - Black eagle carnivore 300 spine @ 28" (8.5 GPI)
Vanes - AAE Max stealth - 4 fletch? - 9.2 Grains ea
Nocks - Black Eagle M nocks - 8 grains
Nock bushing - Black Eagle G/M nock bushing - 14 Grains
Insert - Top hat High Precision SS Insert - 60 Grains
wrap - 3 inch wrap, not sure if I will use one - 2 Grains?
Broadhead - Iron Will 125's or solid 100's - still undecided, weight/foc will probably be the deciding factor

My questions are: will my arrows be too point heavy w/125 gr points? should I consider a lighter insert?
I would be at around 485 grains w/the iron will and 460 with solids. FOC would be fairly high. Interested in everyone's input/recommendations.

Thanks!

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
Gold tip FOC calculator has you at 462 grns with about 9.5 % with the solids and 487 grns with about 11.5% with the Iron Will.

My wraps are 6" and weigh 11 grns so I adjusted that weight for your 3" wrap. Also, assumed you had the 2.6" vanes based on mine with the same weight.

I'd balance in your speed/KE/momentum depending on what camp you're in to see how the whole thing looks. My guess is that you'd be in good shape either way. Then see which tune/shoot best.

I'm asking the same question with my FMJ and the brass insert.

OP
Tag_Soup

Tag_Soup

WKR
Thanks 2hand,
Yes I would be going with the 2.6" vanes
I was looking at going with a C-EX reflective wrap at 1.6 Grains
I could also lose the bushing and go with standard nocks for an arrow weight of 471.4 grains and 13.4% FOC, which I would be inclined to do so long as i don't become under-spined.

Btaylor

WKR
Haven't messed with the BE arrows so can't help there but will throw out my setup for a comparison for you. Obsession Knightmare 66# @ 29" and the arrow setup is an axis 300 cut 26.5" carbon to carbon, 75 grain brass inserts, no wrap, 2" feathers and x nocks. I always shoot 100 grain heads. Total weight is 460 grains and don't remember exact foc but it is up there pretty good but not extreme.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have found that point weight greater than 150 grains usually leads to difficulty tuning and getting broadheads to group with field points. Usually 150 grains is the magic number for all of my best shooting setups over the years. Much over that and things tend to go downhill quickly. Don't get hung up on a number for FOC... it just doesn't matter that much unless it's way too little or way too much. I just helped another bow hunter work through issues today using a similar setup 29.5" draw 300 spine and 175 grains up front. He had to cut arrows down and go back to 150 grains. Night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk