1st (ever) 100 yard group

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm sure there are hundreds of others on here that can shoot far, far better, but I am pretty proud of this 100 yard 5 shot group. Obviously not "within my effective range", but having fun stretching myself out...

771001f915d8804cb8057a8608fe1155.jpg
242f410c96526579b8b22cbef25bf57e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Nice job .I can't even get a 100yd pin in my sight housing. I just started pushing it to 80 and it feels good to practice at that distance. At 100 I would probably have to use my bubble... I might have to try that, actually.

jmez

WKR
I'm happy when I hit the target every time at 100. Groups be damned.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Nice job .I can't even get a 100yd pin in my sight housing. I just started pushing it to 80 and it feels good to practice at that distance. At 100 I would probably have to use my bubble... I might have to try that, actually.
I have a 5 pin slider. 20-60 stationary, then it all moved down as a unit to become 70-80 etc..been pretty happy with it, just had never taken it out past 80 before

Hokkaido

Banned
Thanks for being honest! So many guys seem to have trouble with that. It's hilarious reading those " 80 yard groups" etc on archerytalk. You would think they are world champion archers.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Good work! Keep working on it and it'll get tighter. Remember to make every arrow count, don't just fling arrows to get reps in.

zacha79

Lil-Rokslider
there is just something satisfying and soothing about shooting at distance.

Nice first group!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm willing to bet that you can shrink those down a bit just with a bit more tuning. You have arrows that are nock high, nock low, nock left, nock right all on the same grouping. That tells me that the arrows are not all flying consistently. At 100 yards I would expect to see all of the arrows more like your top one, with the nock high and no left or right nocks. A couple tweaks here or there and that group could shrink by 75%.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm willing to bet that you can shrink those down a bit just with a bit more tuning. You have arrows that are nock high, nock low, nock left, nock right all on the same grouping. That tells me that the arrows are not all flying consistently. At 100 yards I would expect to see all of the arrows more like your top one, with the nock high and no left or right nocks. A couple tweaks here or there and that group could shrink by 75%.
As much as I'd love to believe it was the bow and not me, I think what you are seeing might just be an illusion created from the camera angle? It reallt exaggerated the angles in the top pic, but not near as much in the second pic from the side.

what i dont get is how guys even see the target well at 100. i have good eyes and shoot a .010 pin and still have trouble. maybe its bc i shoot at a block target and not a giant target like at some ranges, i duno, but props to the guys that can do it, i probably just need to shoot more hah

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As much as I'd love to believe it was the bow and not me, I think what you are seeing might just be an illusion created from the camera angle? It reallt exaggerated the angles in the top pic, but not near as much in the second pic from the side.

I don't know man.......even in the second pic they look askew to me. The top one looks good, but the others look flat and/or left right. It might be an illusion, but I would definitely be checking the tune. If those nock angles are off, you can make up some big gains in accuracy with a tune fix. You still have to shoot well, but at least you'd know the arrows were all flying straight. What's your BH shooting look like at 60 compared to your FP's? It's worth the effort to at least verify that you got your equipment perfect to start with.

Shooting 100 isn't that much different than shooting 60 or even 20 quite frankly. You draw back, anchor, settle in, and put the right pin on the right spot and release, no matter the distance. What causes larger groups is inconsistent arrow flight (possibly even bad arrows) and form flaws compounded the further they fly.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
I don't know man.......even in the second pic they look askew to me. The top one looks good, but the others look flat and/or left right. It might be an illusion, but I would definitely be checking the tune. If those nock angles are off, you can make up some big gains in accuracy with a tune fix. You still have to shoot well, but at least you'd know the arrows were all flying straight. What's your BH shooting look like at 60 compared to your FP's? It's worth the effort to at least verify that you got your equipment perfect to start with.

Shooting 100 isn't that much different than shooting 60 or even 20 quite frankly. You draw back, anchor, settle in, and put the right pin on the right spot and release, no matter the distance. What causes larger groups is inconsistent arrow flight (possibly even bad arrows) and form flaws compounded the further they fly.

Do you trust a bag target to consistently and adequately hold the arrow at impact point as opposed to a block type target? Not saying there might not be some small tuning adjustments but not sure I would trust the bag to tell a completely accurate story either, esp at 100 yards.

Do you trust a bag target to consistently and adequately hold the arrow at impact point as opposed to a block type target? Not saying there might not be some small tuning adjustments but not sure I would trust the bag to tell a completely accurate story either, esp at 100 yards.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
what i dont get is how guys even see the target well at 100. i have good eyes and shoot a .010 pin and still have trouble. maybe its bc i shoot at a block target and not a giant target like at some ranges, i duno, but props to the guys that can do it, i probably just need to shoot more hah
These were the big bag targets, so that helps. What is kind of a challenge though is the shooting line is a max of 75 yards. So, to get 100 yards at this range you have to stand on the other side of the pole barn and thread the needle through the poles and open chainlink gate

(Obviously, while no one else is there)

27047f81719efee9f3b56ab415e0e84b.jpg

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR

Thanks 5milesback.

BH's are next. I changed arrow set ups recently (heavier), so I just got my pins reset and took them out to 100 this time. Next I will be testing BH. I've only been shooting a bow for maybe 18 months, so I really dont know much about tuning; and I've never shot BH before, used swacker 2 blade expendables last year, but I have a box of German Kinetics and some COC grave digger hybrids (both in 125 grain) that I'll be trying out soon. I'll let you know how that goes, but you might have to coach me a little bit on the tuning....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll let you know how that goes, but you might have to coach me a little bit on the tuning....

That's what we're all here for. And threading arrows through small openings and shooting in tight spots will make you a better archer for sure. At a range I used to shoot at we'd have to wait until no one was there and then shoot from the far end of the parking lot to get out to 130. And with only 7 pins I'd have to use branches from the trees along the range as an elevation aiming point to reach the targets. But even with that, as long as you have a consistent place to put your pin on it can be very accurate.