Tree Stand for Western hunting

desertcj

WKR
I guess tree stands are pretty much THE way to hunt back East? I've never used one, but I was looking into them and warming up to the idea. Scouting this past weekend and I found some Blacktail bucks that I think are going to be very difficult to hunt without a tree stand in the right spot. Who uses them for hunting in the West and has it been successful for you?

I hunt from tree stands and have done well. Get something comfy. Millennium and Hawk are two I would look at.

I hunt back east but I prefer to hunt from the ground because I like to walk. When I get high, I use a few tree stands. I favor a wolf climber and have a summit hang on and a couple of ladders I set up as well.

Hunt tree stands long enough and you IR someone you know will take a fall. Invest in some safety gear.

A riggers belt or rock climbing harness at the least. Go full harness for the most protection.

These things are great:

Amazon.com : Hunter Safety System Reflective LIFELINE Systems (Single Pack) : Sports & Outdoors

I have a friend that uses something like this:

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

I have moved away from full body harness's in favor of a rock climber harness. Full body tends to suspend you facing away from the tree and with a rock harness you can step off and right back on if you have it rigged right.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
I use a LW Alpha Assualt hang on, its the old 8.5lb version. I have 4 sticks and some aiders on 2. normally I only use 2-3, as most of the spots I go are in small dia. trees in a cattail marsh in Wis. I have a molle shoulder straps and wasit belt attached, so it is easy to carry in. strap my sticks and pack on the back of that. On you tube, look up DIY sportsman, he has some great DIY videos not only on using the stand and sticks, but also on the rock climbing harness. Check out The Hunting Beast - Index page as well. mainly whitetail stuff, but most of the guys there use LW or XOP, lots of good how to's and DIY stuff as well. There are a bunch of the guys going towards a saddle setup, much lighter as well.

Always use a safety harness of some sort and linesman belt. I have had a couple of close calls as well. Must use this stuff.

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
Thanks guys. I have a rock climbing harness coming along with various Prussic loops, caribiners, rope, a dynamic tether and nylon webbing. I like that DIY sportsman channel. Looks like he has his system pretty dialed. I normally like walking/packing in as well, but I'd rather kill a nice buck then backpack...lol

Savage99

WKR
Most newer full harnesses will have a tension relief strap. I also have in my cargo pocket a long rope with a couple prusset loops. The key is to have your strap proper so you don't fall below the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my Hawk Helium XL treestand for all day sits, never had a chance to bag anything when I was out in Bozeman. Back in Iowa for the foreseeable future and will continue to use my Hawk

BradNSW

FNG
Have a tree stand in SOCAL and a ground blind. Use the ground brush blind 2/3 of the time and have had more archery encounters. In the tree stand 75% of the time they have no clue I'm there, it's just on a less traveled area.

Definitely wear a harness in the tree, which makes it more of a PITA!

Problem down here is there are very few trees that can handle a treestand.

Rifle, I only use a hillside shooting spot overlooking travel routes.